ArtPrize® is an open, independently organized international art competition which takes place for 19 days every other fall in Grand Rapids, MI. $250,000 in prizes are awarded by the public (that’s you!), including a $200,000 grand prize.
Throughout Grand Rapids, bars, public parks, restaurants, theaters, hotels, bridges, laundromats, auto body shops, vacant storefronts and office spaces join museums and galleries in hosting hundreds of artists’ work. These artists come from around the world to participate, and hundreds of thousands of visitors come to explore their artwork and our city. Events and happenings pop up every day of the event — from concerts and dance parties, to artist talks and family art-making.
The energy and excitement is palpable during ArtPrize. We can’t wait for you to experience it.
The ArtPrize district spans three-square miles of downtown Grand Rapids, MI. You’ll discover ArtPrize entries everywhere within that boundary, and even at a few venues that extend beyond it.
Nearly 200 venues open their doors to host artists and visitors during each ArtPrize event. Any space within the ArtPrize district can sign up to participate — no matter the size of the space, whether it’s public or private, whether it’s indoors or outdoors.
All venues are free and open to the public for the duration of ArtPrize during open hours.
ArtPrize open hours vary from venue to venue. While there are minimum open hours (listed below), most venues are open early and close later. Also, many artworks are outdoors and can be experienced 24/7. See individual venue hours listed on venue profiles.
Minimum Venue Hours
- Monday-Thursday: 5–8 p.m.
- Friday & Saturday: Noon–8 p.m.
- Sunday: Noon–6 p.m.
ArtPrize also features several visitor service locations throughout the event footprint. Locations and hours will be added soon.
Events & Happenings
The #1 thing to do during ArtPrize is to experience the incredible art and vote for who you think should win the $250,000 in public vote prizes. But ArtPrize is more than the competition itself. From intimate Q&A sessions to parties, there’s something for everyone to learn, experience and celebrate.
Explore our events calendar, which will include events official ArtPrize events as well as those hosted by ArtPrize venues, artists, partners and more.
Getting To & Around ArtPrize
Downtown Grand Rapids can get very busy during ArtPrize, especially on weekends. We’ve compiled below some helpful tips and community resources so you can plan ahead and find your way to and around the event with ease.
- Carpooling: When you can, please consider carpooling with others. It’ll help relieve traffic congestion and make finding parking that much easier for you and your friends and family.
- Parking: Check out this interactive parking map from our friends at Mobile GR. Ellis Parking also offers information on their ramps and surface lots. Be sure to download the MOTU parking app for more convenient meter parking.
- The Rapid: Grand Rapids' bus system, The Rapid, offers routes throughout greater Grand Rapids, including from the airport to downtown.
- Meijer Park & Ride: If you’re traveling from the outskirts of Grand Rapids and want to avoid parking downtown, we highly recommend using the Meijer Park & Ride service. You can leave your car at one of the nine area Meijer stores and ride The Rapid to ArtPrize.
- By Bike: Take your bike to explore ArtPrize. Learn about biking in Grand Rapids.
- On Foot: Explore our ArtPrize Pantone Pathways, which will take you within one block of most ArtPrize Venues. (New map coming this summer)
- DASH: Look for the pink Downtown Area Shuttle (DASH) buses. It’s free to ride. They link the City’s downtown neighborhoods—perfect for seeing ArtPrize.
- The Rapid’s Silver Line: Hop on this downtown circular without charge when you’re in the No Fare Zone.
- Transit App: Use the Transit App to plan trips and locate nearby buses. It’s available for iOS and Android, and includes the City's free DASH routes.
Art is meant to be experienced, but it's also fun to make! Unleash your creative spirit at ArtPrize. with these free activities and resources designed for artists of all ages.
In the coming months, we’ll share free activities and resources designed for artists of all ages, as well as tips for visiting ArtPrize with your family this fall.
Group Visits & Tours
Visiting ArtPrize with a group? Work with our team to create a specialized walking route or tour. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
Free Public Walking Tours
Professional guide and fitness enthusiast, Caroline Cook in partnership with ArtPrize will facilitate a series of free curated walking tours during ArtPrize 2020. Get a glimpse of entries that line the streets and parks, and learn about the rich history of Grand Rapids all while getting your body moving and experiencing downtown Grand Rapids on foot.
Registration available soon.
Free Senior Bus Tours
Caroline Cook is a specialist in West Michigan in meeting the needs of the mature, life-long learners. ArtPrize is partnering with her to provide free step-on bus tours to low-income senior communities that experience mobility and financial challenges and do not have the opportunity to experience ArtPrize on their own. These on-bus tours include locally relevant, fascinating stories about Grand Rapids, the history of art and ArtPrize as well as the opportunity to experience outdoor ArtPrize entries. For more information, please contact email@example.com.
Out Of Town Visitors
Welcome to Grand Rapids! Our friends at Experience Grand Rapids have great information on hotels, restaurants and more for you to make the best of your out of town experience.
Looking for a hotel? Several area hotels offer ArtPrize package deals that include special discounts and a free shuttle service to and from ArtPrize. Our official ArtPrize Hotel Partners are all centrally located and within walking distance of the event.
ArtPrize strives to connect visitors of all ages, abilities and backgrounds to the world of art. We believe the most captivating conversations happen when our audience reflects the true diversity of our community. If there's something we're missing, we look to you to point it out as we move forward and plan future events. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
See accessible venues on the ArtPrize mobile app's map by clicking on the filter option, "Physically Accessible." This list includes all leading cultural institutions which meet Americans with Disabilities Act accessibility guidelines, and most participating venues which have self-identified as handicap accessible.
Free Wheelchair Loan Program
Wheelchairs are available to check out free of charge, courtesy of Mary Free Bed and Airway Oxygen Inc. Just show your ID and provide credit card information when checking out the wheelchair. Locations and hours coming soon.
The DASH and The Rapid's buses are wheelchair-accessible and ADA service animals are permitted on all transit vehicles.
GO!Bus is a shared ride, advanced reservation, ADA paratransit service intended to provide a comparable level of transportation to that which is provided by a The Rapid fixed-route bus. The Rapid also provides GO!Bus service to non-disabled seniors (NDS) aged 65 and older.
Accessible parking spots can be found in all city ramps and lots. Metered spots can be found on the city parking map.
The ArtPrize Awards events will include an American Sign Language (ASL) interpreter. To request an ASL interpreter for an official ArtPrize event please contact email@example.com.
Art You Can Hear & Touch
Coming soon. ArtPrize will create a list of artworks that you can either hear or touch.
- Visitor Guide: The ArtPrize Event Guide is an invaluable tool, offering useful information and a series of maps to help you get the most out of your visit. Coming Soon
- Experience Guides: Not sure where to start your ArtPrize visit? We're here to help. Our Experience Guides feature highlighted venues, events and activities that will guarantee a great time. Coming Soon
- ArtPrize Newsletter: Stay in-the-know on all things ArtPrize — get our newsletter delivered to your inbox.