ArtPrize® is an open, independently organized international art competition which takes place in Grand Rapids, Michigan. It celebrates artists working in all mediums from anywhere in the world, and is open to any creative with an artwork to enter and a venue willing to host it.
For 18 days, art is exhibited throughout the city in public parks and museums, in galleries and vacant storefronts, in bars and on bridges. $250,000 in prizes are awarded by the public (that’s you!), including a $50,000 grand prize.
Since its inception in 2009, millions have participated in ArtPrize, displaying their work, opening their spaces to artists and visitors from around the world, and sparking countless conversations about what art is and why it matters.
The energy and excitement is palpable during ArtPrize. We can’t wait for you to experience it.
The ArtPrize district spans three-square miles of downtown Grand Rapids, MI. You’ll discover ArtPrize entries everywhere within that boundary, and even at a few venues that extend beyond it.
More than 100 venues open their doors to host artists and visitors during ArtPrize. Any space within the ArtPrize district can sign up to participate—no matter the size of the space, whether it’s public or private, whether it’s indoors or outdoors.
All venues are free and open to the public for the duration of ArtPrize during open hours.
ArtPrize open hours vary from venue to venue. While there are minimum open hours (listed below), most venues are open early and close later. Also, many artworks are outdoors and can be experienced 24/7. See individual venue hours listed on venue profiles.
Minimum Venue Hours
- Monday-Thursday: 5–8 p.m.
- Friday & Saturday: Noon–8 p.m.
- Sunday: Noon–6 p.m.
Events & Happenings
The #1 thing to do during ArtPrize is to experience the incredible art, find prizes throughout the event distict, and award them to the artists whose work you love. But ArtPrize is more than the competition itself. From grant-winning artist performances to community-run festivals and more, there’s something for everyone to learn, experience, and celebrate.
Explore our events calendar, which will include events official ArtPrize events as well as those hosted by ArtPrize venues, artists, partners, and more.
Getting To & Around ArtPrize
Downtown Grand Rapids can get very busy during ArtPrize, especially on weekends. We’ve compiled below some helpful tips and community resources so you can plan ahead and find your way to and around the event with ease.
- Carpooling: When you can, please consider carpooling with others. It’ll help relieve traffic congestion and make finding parking that much easier for you and your friends and family.
- Parking: Check out this interactive parking map from our friends at Mobile GR. Ellis Parking also offers information on their ramps and surface lots. Be sure to download the MOTU parking app for more convenient meter parking.
- The Rapid: Grand Rapids' bus system, The Rapid, offers routes throughout greater Grand Rapids, including from the airport to downtown.
- Meijer Park & Ride: If you’re traveling from the outskirts of Grand Rapids and want to avoid parking downtown, we highly recommend using the Meijer Park & Ride service. You can leave your car at one of the nine area Meijer stores and ride The Rapid to ArtPrize.
- By Bike: Take your bike to explore ArtPrize. Learn about biking in Grand Rapids.
- Scooter & Bike Share: Our friends at Mobile GR launched a scooter and bike share pilot program in 2020. You can find electric scooters and bikes in locations throughout downtown Grand Rapids to rent and ride throughout ArtPrize.
- On Foot: Explore our ArtPrize Pantone Pathways, which will take you within one block of most ArtPrize Venues. (New map coming this summer)
- DASH: Look for the pink Downtown Area Shuttle (DASH) buses. It’s free to ride. They link the City’s downtown neighborhoods—perfect for seeing ArtPrize.
- Transit App: Use the Transit App to plan trips and locate nearby buses. It’s available for iOS and Android, and includes the City's free DASH routes.
Art is meant to be experienced, but it's also fun to make! Unleash your creative spirit at ArtPrize.
In the coming weeks, we’ll share free activities and resources designed for artists of all ages, as well as tips for visiting ArtPrize with your family this fall.
Out Of Town Visitors
Welcome to Grand Rapids! Our friends at Experience Grand Rapids have great information on hotels, restaurants, and more for you to make the best of your out of town experience.
Looking for a hotel? Our official ArtPrize Hotel Partners are all centrally located and within walking distance of the event.
ArtPrize strives to connect visitors of all ages, abilities and backgrounds to the world of art. We believe the most captivating conversations happen when our audience reflects the true diversity of our community. If there's something we're missing, we look to you to point it out as we move forward and plan future events. Please contact email@example.com.
See accessible venues on the ArtPrize digital map by clicking on the filter option, "Physically Accessible." This list includes all leading cultural institutions which meet Americans with Disabilities Act accessibility guidelines, and most participating venues which have self-identified as handicap accessible.
The DASH and The Rapid's buses are wheelchair-accessible and ADA service animals are permitted on all transit vehicles.
GO!Bus is a shared ride, advanced reservation, ADA paratransit service intended to provide a comparable level of transportation to that which is provided by a The Rapid fixed-route bus. The Rapid also provides GO!Bus service to non-disabled seniors (NDS) aged 65 and older.
Accessible parking spots can be found in all city ramps and lots. Metered spots can be found on the city parking map.
- Visitor Map: The ArtPrize Visitor Map is an invaluable tool, offering useful information and a list of venues to help you get the most out of your visit. Coming Soon
- ArtPrize Newsletter: Stay in-the-know on all things ArtPrize — get our newsletter delivered to your inbox.
Click here to view/download the map for ArtPrize 2021. To get a physical copy, pick an event guide during the event at one of our six ArtPrize newspaper receptacles, found at the following locations:
- Rosa Parks Circle
- Gillette Bridge
- Studio Park
- Ah-Nab-Awen Park
- Blue Bridge
- Grand Rapids Children's Museum
Outdoor Map and Nighttime Activations
Click here to view/download the list of venues that are showing outdoor art, as well as pieces that will have nighttime activations.
Click on each of the links below to read the official ArtPrize rules and descriptions.
Click here to access our working document of FAQs.