Official 2021 ArtPrize Rules for Venues
THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN HOSTING AT YOUR ESTABLISHMENT (“VENUE”) AN ARTIST’S ENTRY, WHICH IS BEING SUBMITTED TO ARTPRIZE IN ASSOCIATION WITH THE ARTPRIZE CONTEST (EACH, AN “ENTRY”). BY SUBMITTING YOUR REGISTRATION, YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS SET FORTH IN THIS VENUE AND REGISTRATION AGREEMENT (“AGREEMENT”). IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS BELOW, DO NOT REGISTER TO PARTICIPATE AS A VENUE.
1. ELIGIBILITY. ArtPrize must approve all Venues for inclusion in the ArtPrize event (“Event”). ArtPrize reserves the right to refuse approval of a Venue for any or no reason. To be eligible to host an Entry, a Venue must meet the following minimum requirements:
a. Venue must be located within the downtown area of the city of Grand Rapids, Michigan as described on http://www.artprize.org, unless a specific exception has been made by ArtPrize.
b. The portion of the Venue displaying Entries must be open to the public for voting on the Entries at least during the following times during the Event period from September 16–October 3, 2021:
Monday through Thursday: 5–8 p.m.
Friday and Saturday: noon–8 p.m.
Sunday: noon–6 p.m.
c. You and your Venue must comply with all federal, state, and local laws, rules, regulations, and code requirements, including all Grand Rapids and Kent County codes and ordinances, as well as all guidance and orders from the CDC, State of Michigan, public health agencies, and any other federal, state, and local authorities or agencies.
d. You may not charge any Venue admission fee to the public to view the Entries during the Event period and may not charge an Artist or a group of collaborative Artists to display their Entry at the Venue. Expenses related to the exhibition of the Entry may be shared between the Artists and the Venue as long as such sharing arrangement is set forth in the applicable hosting agreement between the Artist and Venue.
2. REGISTRATION AND FEE. To participate in the Event as a Venue, you must agree to this Agreement. Proposed Venues must be registered with ArtPrize by 5:00 p.m. EDT Thursday April 15, 2021. You must pay a non-refundable Venue registration fee at the time of registration, the amount of which is listed on the ArtPrize website (www.artrpize.org). ArtPrize will notify you by phone or email to schedule a visit to your Venue to verify that the Venue is acceptable as an ArtPrize Venue.
3. HOSTING AGREEMENT WITH ARTIST. If approved as a Venue by ArtPrize, you are responsible to negotiate a contract with an ArtPrize artist (each, an “Artist”) to host an Entry during the Event period. Please see our Artist page for a list of registered Artists. This page will be updated as Artists are registered. Only Artists and Venues who are registered with ArtPrize may participate in the Event. You are responsible for negotiating a hosting agreement and/or other arrangements with an Artist relating to display of an Entry at your Venue during the Event (“Hosting Agreement”).
Artist matching and the Hosting Agreement with the Artist must be completed by 5:00 p.m. EDT Wednesday, June 23, 2021. It is anticipated that the Hosting Agreement with the Artist would cover such items as: installation and removal of the Entry; access and timing to the Venue; allocation of responsibility for security and insurance relating to the Entry and the Venue; applicable fees for use by the Artist of the Venue, if any, etc. See our template for a sample ArtPrize Artist and Venue Hosting Agreement. A Venue may host multiple Entries, but you must enter into a separate Hosting Agreement with each Artist for each Entry hosted. If you cannot come to terms with an Artist, then you are under no obligation to host an Entry for the Event. As between the Artist and you, the Artist retains ownership of the Entry, unless specifically negotiated otherwise in the Hosting Agreement and not in breach of Section 6 of this Agreement.
4. WARRANTIES AND LIABILITY. ArtPrize makes no warranty whatsoever relating to the Artist, the Entries, your Hosting Agreement or any other aspect of the Event. ArtPrize is not responsible for any Entry left at a Venue during or subsequent to the Event period. By participating in the Event, you agree that ArtPrize and its respective affiliates, agents, directors, officers and employees have no liability whatsoever for any injuries, losses or damages of any kind relating to or arising from the Event or resulting from participation in the Event, whether caused by ArtPrize, the Artist, the Entry, visitors, or otherwise. By participating in the Event, you agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless ArtPrize and its affiliates, agents, directors, officers and employees from and against any and all liability, claims, suits, actions, losses and expenses, including costs and attorney's fees, relating to or arising out of any claim, or demand of any kind or nature which any person or party may make against ArtPrize or any of its affiliates, agents, directors, officers or employees based upon or arising out of the Venue, your participation in the Event, or any other claim or demand relating to the Event.
The parties acknowledge that there is an inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 and other infectious diseases in visiting any public place where other people are present. As between you and ArtPrize, you agree that you are in control of the Venue and are therefore responsible for mitigating the risk of exposure to COVID-19. This includes following all COVID-19 precautions then required by any Michigan Department of Health and Human Services order, as well as all other applicable federal, state or local orders, guidelines and recommendations. You agree that ArtPrize has no responsibility for your Venue, including (without limitation) any responsibility for any risk of COVID-19 exposure at such the Venue. Venue shall indemnify and hold ArtPrize harmless (as described above) for any loss, injury, or claim resulting from someone visiting or being exposed to an infectious disease (including, COVID-19) while at your Venue.
5. PRIZES AND WINNER SELECTION. Prizes will be awarded by ArtPrize Grand Rapids, as further detailed on the ArtPrize website, http://www.artprize.org. A portion of these prizes may be awarded to one or more Venues. Winners can be both public-determined and/or selected by jurors appointed by ArtPrize, at its sole discretion. Additional details regarding prizes and selection criteria will be made available on the ArtPrize website prior to commencement of the Event. Prizes will be awarded in a lump sum to the winning Venues. All prizes are conditioned upon the winning Venues completing a notarized Winner’s Affidavit provided by ArtPrize (the “Affidavit”). The Affidavit must be completed by the winning Venue before December 31, 2021, or else the winning Venue will be deemed to have forfeited the prize.
6. RULES REGARDING ART SALES. Meidema Auctioneering has the exclusive rights to sell and auction all works of art that Artists elect to sell during the Event. You should refer all inquiries regarding art purchases to Meidema Auctioneering. You do not have the right to broker the sale of an Artist’s Entry or other works made available for sale during the Event or charge a commission for such services.
7. GENERAL. ArtPrize reserves the right to use all information about, and imagery and documentation of: the Venue, the final Entry and the process of creating the Entry, all as provided by the Artist or Venue. Uses may include, but are not limited to, the official ArtPrize website, press releases, promotional materials, display and exhibition materials, catalogs, maps, guides, installations, other showcase activities associated with ArtPrize or the Event and its promotion and associated events and which may include textual, audio or visual representations.
ArtPrize plans to have any additions/changes/amendments to this Agreement posted to the ArtPrize website (www.artprize.org) by close of business on September 1, 2021. Venue hereby agrees to comply with any additions/changes/amendments made by ArtPrize to this Agreement as posted to the ArtPrize website.