Official ArtPrize Rules for Venues
THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN HOSTING AN ARTIST’S ENTRY, WHICH IS BEING SUBMITTED TO ARTPRIZE IN ASSOCIATION WITH THE ARTPRIZE CONTEST (EACH, AN “ENTRY”). BY SUBMITTING THIS AGREEMENT, YOU AGREE TO BE LEGALLY BOUND BY THE FOLLOWING TERMS AND CONDITIONS. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS BELOW, DO NOT SUBMIT THIS AGREEMENT.
1. ELIGIBILITY. ArtPrize must approve all Venues for inclusion in ArtPrize. ArtPrize reserves the right to refuse approval of a Venue for any or no reason. To be eligible to host an Entry, a Venue must meet the following minimum requirements:
a. Venue must be located within the downtown area of the city of Grand Rapids, Michigan as described on http://www.artprize.org, unless a specific exception has been made by ArtPrize.
b. The portion of the Venue displaying Entries must be open to the public for voting on the Entries at least during the following times during the ArtPrize period from September 16–October 4, 2020:
Monday through Thursday: 5–8 p.m.
Friday and Saturday: noon–8 p.m.
Sunday: noon–6 p.m.
c. Venue must comply with all federal, state, and local laws and code requirements, including all Grand Rapids city codes and ordinances.
d. The Venue may not charge an admission fee to the public to view the Entries during the ArtPrize period and may not charge an Artist or a group of Collaborative Artists to display their Entry at the Venue. Expenses related to the exhibition of the Entry may be shared between the Artists and the Venue as long as such sharing arrangement is set forth in the applicable Hosting Agreement.
2. REGISTRATION AND FEE. To enter ArtPrize as a Venue, you must agree to this Venue Registration and Agreement (“Agreement”). Proposed Venues must be registered with ArtPrize by 5:00 p.m. EDT Thursday April 2, 2020. Venues must pay a non-refundable $100 (U.S.) Venue registration fee. ArtPrize will notify you by phone or email to schedule a visit to the Venue to verify that the Venue is acceptable as an ArtPrize Venue.
3. HOSTING AGREEMENT WITH ARTIST. If approved as a Venue by ArtPrize, you are responsible to negotiate a contract with an ArtPrize Artist to host an Entry during the ArtPrize period. Please see our Artist page for a list of registered Artists. Only Artists and Venues who are registered with ArtPrize may participate in ArtPrize. Venues are responsible to negotiate a hosting agreement and/or other arrangements with an Artist relating to display of an Entry.
The hosting agreement with the Artist must be completed by 5:00 p.m. EDT Thursday, June 25, 2020. See our template for a sample ArtPrize Artist and Venue Hosting Agreement. A Venue may host multiple Entries, but you must enter into a separate hosting agreement with each Artist for each Entry hosted. If you cannot come to terms with an Artist, then you are under no obligation to host an Entry for ArtPrize. It is anticipated that the hosting agreement with the Artist would cover such items as: installation and removal of the Entry; access and timing to the Venue; allocation of responsibility for security and insurance relating to the Entry and the Venue; applicable fees for use by the Artist of the Venue, if any, etc. As between the Artist and the Venue, the Artist retains ownership of the Entry, unless specifically negotiated otherwise in the hosting agreement.
4. LIMIT OF TWO ENTRIES PER VENUE IN “FINAL 20”. ArtPrize Entries are voted on by the public in two rounds. There can be a maximum of two Entries from each venue in the second round, called the “Final 20.” If more than two entries from one venue receive enough votes to be eligible for the Final 20, only the two with the most votes will advance to the second round.
5. WARRANTIES AND LIABILITY. ArtPrize makes no warranty whatsoever relating to your hosting agreement or any other aspect of ArtPrize. ArtPrize is not responsible for any Entry left at a Venue during or subsequent to the ArtPrize period. By participating in ArtPrize, the Venue agrees that ArtPrize and its respective affiliates, agents, directors, officers and employees have no liability whatsoever for any injuries, losses or damages of any kind relating to or arising from ArtPrize or resulting from participation in ArtPrize, whether caused by ArtPrize, the Artist, the Entry, voters, or otherwise. By participating in ArtPrize, the Venue agrees to defend, indemnify and hold harmless ArtPrize and its affiliates, agents, directors, officers and employees from and against any and all liability, claims, suits, actions, losses, and expenses, including costs and attorney's fees, relating to or arising out of any claim, or demand of any kind or nature which any person or party may make against ArtPrize or any of its affiliates, agents, directors, officers, or employees based upon or arising out of the Venue, the Venue’s participation in ArtPrize, or any other claim or demand relating to ArtPrize.
6. RULES REGARDING ART SALES. Venues have the option to broker the sale an Artist’s Work(s) and charge a commission for such services. In the event that a Venue decides to broker a sales transaction, the Venue must stipulate the broker fees and process in the Hosting Agreement with each Artist. All agreements between you and the Artist relating to brokering a sale, including commission fees, are solely between you and the Artist. ARTPRIZE WILL NOT (i) BE IN ANY WAY INVOLVED IN THE NEGOTIATION OR AGREEMENT RELATING TO BROKERING ARRANGEMENTS OR (ii) ENFORCE THE TERMS OF ANY BROKERING ARRANGEMENTS.
ARTPRIZE AND ITS RESPECTIVE AFFILIATES, AGENTS, DIRECTORS, OFFICERS AND EMPLOYEES (“AFFILIATES”) ARE NOT PARTIES TO, HAVE NO INVOLVEMENT WITH OR INTEREST IN, MAKE NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES AS TO, AND HAVE NO RESPONSIBILITY OR LIABILITY WHATSOEVER FOR ANY INJURIES, LOSSES OR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND RELATING TO OR ARISING FROM THE ARTPRIZE EVENT, INCLUDING ANY AGREEMENTS, COMMUNICATIONS, TRANSACTIONS, INTERACTIONS DISPUTES OR ANY RELATIONS WHATSOEVER BETWEEN YOU, ANY ARTIST OR ANY OTHER PERSON OR ORGANIZATION. VENUE FURTHER AGREES TO DEFEND, INDEMNIFY AND HOLD HARMLESS ARTPRIZE AND ITS AFFILIATES FROM AND AGAINST ANY AND ALL LIABILITY, CLAIMS, SUITS, ACTIONS, LOSSES, AND EXPENSES, INCLUDING ATTORNEY FEES, RELATING TO OR ARISING OUT OF ANY CLAIM OR DEMAND OF ANY KIND OR NATURE WHICH ANY PERSON OR PARTY MAY MAKE AGAINST ARTPRIZE OR ITS AFFILIATES BASED UPON OR ARISING OUT OF THE ARTPRIZE EVENT, INCLUDING ANY BROKER ARRANGEMENTS, OR ANY OTHER CLAIM OR DEMAND RELATING TO ARTPRIZE.
7. GENERAL. ArtPrize reserves the right to use all information on, imagery and documentation of the Venue, the final Entry and the process of creating the Entry provided by the Artist or Venue. Uses may include, but are not limited to, the official ArtPrize website, press releases, promotional materials, display and exhibition materials, catalogs, maps, guides, installations, other showcase activities associated with ArtPrize and its promotion and associated events and which may include textual, audio or visual representations.