Please keep these ArtPrize 2020 dates in mind, and check back as more will be added as we get closer to the event.
|Venue Registration||Opens: March 2, 2020 // Closes: June 18, 2020|
|Artist Registration||Opens: April 13, 2020 // Closes: June 18, 2020|
|Connections||Opens: early June|
|ArtPrize 2020||September 16-October 4, 2020|
Wondering what “Connections” is? Visit “Connect to Artists” for details.
Nearly 200 venues throughout Grand Rapids open their doors to host artists and visitors during ArtPrize®. Any space within the ArtPrize district can sign up to participate — no matter the size of the space, whether it’s public or private, whether it’s indoors or outdoors. Museums, parks, universities, retail shops, office spaces, restaurants, cafes, nonprofits, churches, residences and truly any other building or space can join in the energy and excitement of ArtPrize.
Venues are essential to the success of each event. ArtPrize is remarkably open and collaborative by design. Each individual venue that signs up works directly with artists, organizing its own show. Collectively, these nearly 200 independently-organized art shows make up the ArtPrize competition — attracting hundreds of artists and hundreds of thousands of visitors from all around the world.
The ArtPrize district spans three-square miles of downtown Grand Rapids, MI. Any space within this boundary can be an ArtPrize venue. The ArtPrize boundary extends north to Leonard Street and south to Wealthy Street, west to Alpine Avenue NW/Straight Avenue SW and east to College Ave.
Take a look at the map below to see if your space is eligible:
To participate in ArtPrize, venues must first sign up during the Venue Registration period. The Venue Registration period for ArtPrize 2020 is now open.
Registration is a simple three-step process that happens right here on the ArtPrize website.
- Sign up for an ArtPrize account, or sign in if you already have one.
- Pay the $100 registration fee to enter your venue and create your venue profile.
- Receive ArtPrize approval; then start planning your exhibit!
For more information on the Venue Registration process — including tips for creating your venue profile and information on the approval process — download our Interested Venue Packet.
Two grant programs totaling $90,000 are available to ArtPrize venues. All venues are invited to apply for either or both of these programs. Applications for both will be open during the Venue Registration period.
$40,000 in Venue Grants
This $40,000 pool of grant funding will be divided among several venues. Venue Grants offer financial support for the costs associated with organizing and running your ArtPrize exhibition. These grants are intended to provide assistance, but not necessarily cover all costs of the exhibition. Awards will be decided based on need and merit.
$50,000 in Venue-Directed Artist Grants
New in 2020 are Venue-Directed Artist Grants. This $50,000 fund consists of a series of 25 grants of $2,000 each that will be given from ArtPrize directly to artists. Venues can apply to have access to up to five of these grants, which they can direct to artists in order to recruit and support ambitious artworks for their venue. The purpose of Venue-Directed Artist Grants is to allow venues to initiate collaborations with artists who would otherwise be unable to participate in ArtPrize.
Apply for Venue-Directed Artist Grants
Venue-Directed Artist Grants are presented by the Frey Foundation
Connect with Artists
After you’ve registered your space to be an ArtPrize venue, paid the registration fee and received approval from ArtPrize — it’s time to start planning your exhibition.
The next step in this process is finding artists to exhibit artwork in your space. It’s important to note that your venue’s participation in ArtPrize isn’t fully confirmed until at least one artist has agreed to show their work in your space.
We call the process of artists and venues matching up “Connections,” a six-week period during which registered venues and artists find each other on the ArtPrize website and agree to work together. ArtPrize plays no role in assigning artists to venues. Instead, you’ll decide which artwork to display in your venue.
When Artist Registration opens, you’ll be able to browse registered artists. Then, during the Connections period, you may contact artists and artists will contact you. The Connections period will open in early June 2020.
This process of selecting artists and curating exhibits is managed through the Connections tool on your ArtPrize Account.
When you've found an artist you'd like to work with, you need to sign a Hosting Agreement — a contract between you and each artist that details all the specifics of your working relationship. Venues need to provide each artist with a Hosting Agreement during the Connections process, and it must be signed by both parties before the Connection is complete.
Download our Hosting Agreement template, making sure to customize it based on your specific needs and what you negotiate with individual artists.
Every Hosting Agreement should include:
- A description of the artwork to be exhibited
- Specific requirements for the artwork (like lighting)
- How much space the artwork will take up in the venue
- Specific description of the agreed location within the venue
- Any additional open hours for the venue beyond the required minimum
- When the artist can start installation
- Arrangements for shipping, installation, and removal if the artist will not be attending the
- Who pays for shipping (if necessary)
- Who pays for promotional materials (if any)
- Who is responsible for insurance and security during the event
- How sales are handled
- Who is responsible for artwork removal and how and when it will be removed
For more information on the Connections process, download our Registered Venue Packet.
Required minimum hours
During the 19 days of ArtPrize, venues are required to be open and accessible to the public for at least the minimum required hours listed below, but are welcome to stay open beyond the requirement.
- Monday – Thursday: 5:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- Friday & Saturday: Noon – 8:00 p.m.
- Sunday: Noon – 6:00 p.m.
If your Venue is outdoors or the exhibit can be experienced as intended from the outside, you do not need to keep your building open to the public, as long as the artwork is accessible during the minimum open hours.
Many venues choose to work with volunteers to promote their exhibitions, keep the doors open, answer questions, provide security or guide visitors through the building. We strongly encourage all venues to involve their community in hosting an ArtPrize venue.
It’s important to note that ArtPrize itself does not provide volunteers to help with individual venues. Official ArtPrize volunteers are recruited for event wayfinding, educational programming and more. Venues should arrange for their own support during the event.
Take advantage of the energy and excitement of ArtPrize by hosting an event at your venue. If you're planning receptions or other events at your venue leading up to or during ArtPrize, you can add them to our online Events Calendar. This calendar also feeds into our mobile app, putting your event in front of thousands of iOS and Android users.
Click the links below to view and download more information for ArtPrize Venues:
Interested Venues Packet — includes detailed information on Eligibility, Registration + Approval, City Codes, Official Rules and more.
- Registered Venues Packet — includes detailed information on Grants, Connections, Hosting Agreement, Brokering Sales, Insurance, Downloads, Resources, Venue Icon + Brand Guides, Official Rules and more
The following is a summary of the Official Rules for Venues:
- Venues must pay a $100 non-refundable fee to register.
- After registration, Venues must be approved by ArtPrize.
- Venues must sign a Hosting Agreement with each Artist exhibiting at their Venue.
- Venues grant ArtPrize full rights to photograph the Venue during the event.
- Venues must be open and free to the public for the minimum required hours during the event.
- ArtPrize is not responsible for any damages that could occur to the Venue during the event.
- ArtPrize is not responsible for Artwork left in the Venue after the event.