Welcome to your ArtPrize Newsletter. The ArtPrize Newsletter exists to keep you in the loop — delivering the ArtPrize scoop to your inbox during Preview Week and throughout 19-day event. It's a one-stop info package, offering a concise overview of what to look forward to during the week and weekend, and handy tips to help you make the most of your visit.
What Can I Do This Weekend? (Oct. 5-7)
Celebrate the Winners of $500,000 With Us!
Tonight's the night! Find out which artist entries will take home part of the $500,000 in cash prizes, awarded equally by public vote and expert jury, by watching the two-time Emmy Award-nominated ArtPrize Awards Ceremony, powered by DTE Energy Foundation. Tune in for the live broadcast on NBC affiliate WOOD TV8 at 7:30 p.m. or join the live audience at Rosa Parks Circle.
Then, come celebrate with us! Immediately following the announcement of the $200,000 Public Vote and Juried Grand Prize winners, Matt Giraud — Kalamazoo’s own American Idol finalist — will take the stage for a free concert.
What's on deck for the rest of the weekend? ArtPrize venues will remain open until Sunday at 6 p.m. — plenty of time to experience the winners and anything else you might discover along the way.
Find more events and happenings at artprize.org/events.
What’s the Latest News?
- The ArtPrize team celebrated the art of culture by participating in the Anishinaabek community celebration.
- Take a look back at Part 1 & Part 2 of #ArtPrizeWTF to see what art experts think about the Top 40 Finalists.
- Meet the Public Vote Top 20 artists.
- See what ArtPrize at Night looks like.
- Find out where to grab a bite to eat during your ArtPrize adventure.
- See 20 which school groups are vying for the 2018 ArtPrize Youth Collaboration Award.
Photo: 'The Word On The Street' by Scott Froschauer
How Can Kids Get Involved?
Calling all kid artists! ArtPrize offers an array of FREE activities for families and kids of all ages to participate in.
- Create your own miniature chair, made of repurposed materials, with Grand Rapids Public Museum and the Eames Education Office at their Family Chair Camp.
- Get creative in the TinkerLab and enjoy creative challenges inspired by past ArtPrize winners at the ArtPrize STEAM Lab, powered by Switch.
- Explore ArtPrize and our city on a Family ArtPrize GO Scavenger Hunt.
- Test your art skills and collect the complete series of ArtPrize Discovery Deck post cards!
- Encourage conversations, connections and reflections during your art-filled journey.
- Check out our Family Experience Guide, created in partnership with GRKids.
Photo: 'We are the Music Makers/We are the Dreamers of Dreams' by Shaina Kasztelan
What’s Everyone Sharing?
ArtPrize is all about exploring new perspectives, creating lasting memories and enjoying captivating art. Show us what pieces move you, strike you as unique or are just visually appealing by tagging your photos with #ArtPrize10. We’re ready to share the ArtPrize visitor experience one picture at a time!
Above is a snapshot of ArtPrize 10, shot by these Instagrammers:
Top Row: (1) @meancatmom (2) @kiccocracking (3) @theurbanconga
Bottom Row: (1) @carriemayhem (2) @songcoarts (3) @matthendersonphoto
How Can I Support ArtPrize?
ArtPrize is a nonprofit organization. Your support helps the event thrive year-over-year, elevating the artists, venues and educators that create a world-class exhibition and generate learning opportunities for all.
Below are a couple ways you can support ArtPrize this fall and year-round:
- Donate: Help someone else create an unforgettable experience at ArtPrize and build memories to last a lifetime. Your gift, no matter the size, combined with the gifts of hundreds of other supporters will help artists realize ambitious projects, make it possible for thousands of students to explore contemporary art, and so much more.
- Buy Merch: Stop by the ArtPrize Pop-Up Shop at 111 Lyon St NW or your local Meijer Store to pick up ArtPrize 10 merchandise, including commemorative clothing, pint glasses and mugs, a limited edition pillow, and more. You can also shop many items online.
- Volunteer: Join the nearly 1,000 volunteers who step forward to welcome hundreds of thousands of visitors to ArtPrize each fall. We couldn't do it without you.
- Share Your Story: What’s your favorite memory from the event? Is there a piece of artwork that’s moved you, challenged you, brought you to tears? How do you think ArtPrize has changed our community? How has your relationship with art changed since visiting the event? Help us celebrate 10 years of ArtPrize—share your story.
Photo: 'The Color Conversation' by Geary Jones
Share Your Feedback
Did you visit ArtPrize 10? We’d love to hear about your experience. Your input is invaluable and helps our team design a meaningful community event. Please take a few short minutes to answer 20 multiple choice questions. Click here to share your thoughts. Thank you!
Photo: 'Ascent to the Machine Gods' by Victor LeBlanc
Thank You Sponsors
Support from our corporate sponsors represented our largest source of revenue in 2017, accounting for 58% of ArtPrize’s $3.5 million operating budget. This support, combined with individual giving, retail sales and more makes ArtPrize possible each year.By Alee'a Ulsh-Cherry on