Welcome to your ArtPrize Daily. The ArtPrize Daily exists to keep you in the loop — delivering the ArtPrize scoop to your inbox every morning during Preview Week and the 19-day event. It's a one-stop info package, offering a concise recap of the previous day's events, a look forward to the day ahead, and handy tips to help you make the most of your visit.
What's Happening Today at ArtPrize?
ARTPRIZE NINE JURORS' SHORTLIST EVENT
ArtPrize Studio @ HUB/HQ I 7 p.m.
Tonight's the night! Join the live studio audience at the ArtPrize Studio @ HUB/HQ as the ArtPrize Nine Category Award Jurors present and discuss their Top 20 picks at the Jurors’ Shortlist Event. Artists submitted 1,346 entries into one of four categories including 2-D, 3-D, Time-Based, and Installation. A fifth category award will be given to an ArtPrize Venue for outstanding curatorial presentation. Admission is free and open to the public, but be sure to get there early as doors close at 6:45 p.m. Can't make it in person? Watch the show live on WOOD TV8.
ON DECK TODAY
- ArtPrize Tours — Not quite sure where to start, or looking for a fresh new perspective on the annual event? Take a tour of ArtPrize Nine and our city with us! The ArtPrize Nine tour, produced by the ArtPrize team, has been specifically designed to draw your attention not only to artwork that is entered into the 2017 event, but also iconic artworks that are permanent to the city of Grand Rapids.
- Change/Painting Live — Feel like a Change? Join Marsha Lucas at Manic Muse to watch live painting. During the official dates of ArtPrize Nine Marsha will be working on her original entry. Two female figures, painting one with her right hand and the other with her left hand. Come to Manic Muse, have a seat, chat with Marsha and watch the creative "Change" take place in front of your eyes.
- Observe Portrait Sketch — Grand Valley Artists, Inc. invites you to observe their members drawing a live model portrait session.
- Honda Design & Drive Art Contest — Drop by Rosa Parks circle to watch six artists transform Honda vehicles with their unique designs in this on-going challenge. Be sure to note your favorites, as West Michigan Honda Dealers will open up a public vote today to select the winning design. Voting closes on October 5, and the winner of the new Honda Civic lease will be announced live on eightWest on Friday, October 6.
- Artist Lessons — Stop by the Department of Corrections during ArtPrize Nine Preview Week where their artists will offer you helpful hints on how to create your own works of art.
- ArtPrize Labs @ Lions and Rabbits: Color Emotion — Families are welcome to participate in this fun workshop to learn about the Quiller Wheel and emotions behind Color Theory. We will be creating a color sensitive painted piece to take home!
- Brews-Views-ArtPrize — Drink your favorite brews and relax while Grand Rapids Beer Trolley takes you on a tour of ArtPrize. We will wind through the streets of Grand Rapids taking in the art, beer in hand. Click here for tickets.
NEXT MILESTONE EVENT:
Round 1 Voting, presented by Meijer, opened this week. You'll have until Midnight on September 30 to cast your votes for your favorites from among the 1,346 eligible artist entries. Cast your first vote at ArtPrize, then vote from anywhere in the world. Learn more about voting at artprize.org/vote.
Featured Upcoming Events:
'Cap'n Nemos Flaming Carnival' at city water building by the richard app gallery
SEPTEMBER 26: ARTPRIZE STUDIO SERIES — START GARDEN 5X5 EVENT
ArtPrize Studio @ HUB/HQ | 5 p.m. EDT
5x5 Night Hits The Road Tour continues in 2017 with September's event at the ArtPrize Studio. 5 creators will pitch their ideas for a chance to win $5,000 - no strings attached. The event host organizes a selection committee to decide which five ideas will be presented. Visitors to the website vote on ideas they would like the host committee to select. The selected presenters explain a $5,000 step that will move the idea forward. Part two of the night takes place at the reception, where the winner will be announced. Have a glass of wine, talk about ideas and network!
ArtPrize Studio is powered by ITC, Your Energy Superhighway.
SEPTEMBER 27: ARTPRIZE STUDIO SERIES — PROSPECT NEW ORLEANS
ArtPrize Studio @ HUB/HQ | 7 p.m. EDT
Brooke Anderson, Museum Director at Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, will take to the ArtPrize Studio stage to share the origins of Prospect New Orleans, the largest triennial of contemporary art in the U.S. — where she served as Executive Director for four years. Under her leadership, Prospect New Orleans shifted from a biennial to a triennial, and she oversaw the development of Prospect.3 in 2015, which was met with critical acclaim and was seen by nearly 100,000 people. In her ArtPrize keynote address, Anderson will explore how partnerships and collaborations established and encouraged the triennial’s audience.
SEPTEMBER 28: ARTPRIZE STUDIO SERIES — SMART CITIES PANEL
ArtPrize Studio @ HUB/HQ | 7 p.m. EDT
As part of the hands-on education activities and programming in the STEAM Village, a lively discussion with leaders in the Smart Cities movement will take the stage — highlighting what it means to be a truly “Smart City” and how art, design, technology and innovation are impacting innovation in cities like Grand Rapids and beyond. Panelists include Kristi Overgaard, Switch Chief Awesomeness Officer (CAO); Patti Poppe, Consumers Energy CEO; Mike Morin, Start Garden CEO; and Brian Seth Hurst, a Virtual Reality thought leader and innovator.
SEPTEMBER 29-30: HOPCAT WYCE BLUE BRIDGE MUSIC FESTIVAL
Blue Bridge | Fri. 4p-11p | Sat. Noon-11p
The second annual ‘HopCat WYCE Blue Bridge Music Festival’ brings the energy of live performance to the ArtPrize night scene. The Blue Bridge—organized by Quinn Matthews, Station Manager WYCE 88.1FM — will once again play host to all things music at ArtPrize Nine. Held September 29 and 30, the festival promises two epic days and nights of FREE musical entertainment featuring musicians and bands from across the country — competing for the ‘ArtPrize Song of the Year’ award.
#ArtPrize9 Images of the Day:
ArtPrize Nine is underway and all 1,346 entries are picture perfect ready! Above is a snapshot of the work that has contributed to the transformation of Grand Rapids — shot by these Instagrammers:
- Top Row: (1) @hollowmo0n (2) @kavanagh.rosemary (3) @richardapp
- Bottom Row: (1) @erinmcclarty (2) @the_mittenkitten (3) @jessicabradhamart
Interested in the chance to be featured? Share your ArtPrize Nine experience on Instagram with our official hashtag — #ArtPrize9. Simple as that!
Yesterday at ArtPrize:
We'd like to give a special shout-out to all ArtPrize Nine volunteers for their hard work and dedication to making the ninth annual event a success! If you see a volunteer, in one of the bright red "Ask Me" vests, make sure to give them a warm smile thank them for their services to the 19-day event. Interested in volunteering? It's not too late to sign up! We're accepting volunteers throughout the event. Click here to begin the process.
Yesterday, ArtPrize goers were entranced by C.T Hankins' ArtPrize Nine entry 'A Bit of Me in You (Echo Point),' located at the Van Andel Arena. Walk in front of the curved wall made of thousands of tiny mirrors to see a fractured reflection of yourself. Step forward to peer through cutouts at someone on the other side to see yourself through their eyes.
We also stopped by Lyon Square to check out Kurt and Kremena's ArtPrize Nine entry 'Unlearn Fear & Hate.' Inspired by a need to address growing national tensions, 'Unlearn Fear & Hate' invites everyone to work to diminish the fears we all live with by acknowledging our shared humanity and fostering community. Snap a photo with any of the 25 halos depicting the words "Unlearn Fear & Hate" in languages widely spoken in Grand Rapids, then post to social media to join the visual petition.
For Kids of All Ages:
Calling all artists! ArtPrize offers an array of FREE activities for families and kids of all ages to participate in. ArtPrize Labs provides hands-on activities and creative experimenting through daily and drop-in activities, events, and programs produced by leading cultural organizations. ArtPrize Labs is sponsored by Grand Valley State University, Herman Miller Cares, and Switch.
- ArtPrize Studio — Unleash your creative spirit and stop by the ArtPrize Labs Studio at the HUB/HQ for creative activities that are fun for all ages. Open daily from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. through October 8.
- STEAM Village Learning Lab — Art meets technology at the 2017 iteration of STEAM Village — where schools and visitors of all ages are invited to drop by our unique learning lab experience. Powered by Switch, the STEAM Village hosts a variety of activities including experimenting with robots, drawing with 3D pens, experiencing virtual reality and more! The STEAM Village Lab is open from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. through October 8.
- ArtPrize Labs Mobile Workshop — Stop by Ah-Nab-Awen Park from 3-7 p.m. to check out the ArtPrize Labs Mobile Workshop sponsored by Herman Miller Cares, and participate in creating pop-up art-making activities with repurposed materials.
With so many amazing things happening during the ninth annual event, see who's talking about ArtPrize and what they said:
- How do ArtPrize jurors choose their Shortlist? (WOOD TV8)
- Scenes from ArtPrize 2017 opening weekend (MLive)
- GVSU continues annual tradition at ArtPrize Nine opening ceremony (Grand Valley Lanthorn)
- ArtPrize Nine 'Off the Beaten Path:' Crossroads Bible Church (WZZM 13)
- ArtPrize work makes kids with disabilities artists (WOOD TV8)
- Two artists who’ve given up their day jobs are in the running at this year’s ArtPrize (Detroit Jewish News)
- 10 THINGS TO DO IN MICHIGAN THIS WEEKEND: SEPTEMBER 22-24 (FOX 47 News)
- Roots in Sturgis: Randi Ford describes inspiration for her work (Sturgis Journal)
- City Water Building collection, 'Oil + Water,' sheds light on gun, water issues (WZZM 13)
ArtPrize is a nonprofit organization. Your support helps the event thrive year-over-year, elevating the artists, venues and educators that create a world-class exhibition and generate learning opportunities for all.
Below are a couple ways you can support ArtPrize this fall and year-round:
- Membership: Join our ArtClub membership program and get insider access to the event as well as perks year-round, or become an ArtFan to provide support for critical ArtPrize programs that serve the social good.
- Retail Sales: Stop by the ArtPrize HUB/HQ or your local Meijer Store to pick up ArtPrize Nine merchandise, including commemorative clothing, pint glasses and mugs, the inaugural ArtPrize Magazine 'Public Notice,' and more. You can also shop many items online.
- Volunteering: Join the nearly 1,000 volunteers who step forward to welcome hundreds of thousands of visitors to ArtPrize each fall. We couldn't do it without you.
Thanks to Our Sponsors:
Support from our corporate sponsors represented our largest source of revenue in 2016, accounting for 56% of ArtPrize’s $3.6 million operating budget. This support, combined with individual membership, retail sales and more makes ArtPrize possible each year.Alee'a Ulsh-Cherry on