Welcome to your ArtPrize Daily. The ArtPrize Daily exists to keep you in the loop — delivering the ArtPrize scoop to your inbox every morning during Preview Week and the 19-day event. It's a one-stop info package, offering a concise recap on the previous day's events, a look forward to the day ahead, and handy tips to help you make the most of your visit.
What's Happening Today at ArtPrize?
The first weekend of ArtPrize NIne is nearly here — just a few hours remain, and we're just as excited as you! It's going to be sunny, warm and, most of all, PERFECT for ArtPrizing.
Busy during the day? No problem! Instead of a day trip to ArtPrize, why not make it a #DatePrize trip at night? When the sun goes down, make your way downtown to grab a beer and attend The Art of Founders Brewing at the ArtPrize Studio, walk over to the jdeck at the JW Marriot to enjoy watching lasers illuminate the night, courtesy of ArtPrize Nine entry 'STARFALL', and enjoy critically acclaimed films at ArtPrize On Screen, with audio generously provided by QSC.
ON DECK TODAY
- ArtPrize Tours — Not quite sure where to start, or looking for a fresh new perspective on the annual event? Take a tour of ArtPrize Nine and our city with us! The ArtPrize Nine tour, produced by the ArtPrize team, has been specifically designed to draw your attention not only to artwork that is entered into the 2017 event, but also iconic artworks that are permanent to the city of Grand Rapids.
- ArtPrize On Screen: "The Vietnam War" & "More Art Upstairs" — Tonight, ArtPrize On Screen continues with a double feature. First up at 6 p.m., catch "The Vietnam War", an immersive 360-degree narrative in which Burns and Novick tell the epic story of the Vietnam War as it has never before been told on film. "The Vietnam War" screening will be preceded by the short film, “Official Shorts”, directed by John Morris Paul. Then at 9 p.m., don't miss "More Art Upstairs", a film following four artists before, during and after ArtPrize in 2015. This feature film will be preceded by the short film, “Red Skies”, directed by Brett Miller. Reserve your tickets online and pick them up at Will Call at the Ladies' Literary Club (61 Sheldon Blvd SE 49503, next to ArtPrize HUB/HQ).
- VOICES: A community history project — WKTV's VOICES invites ArtPrize attendees to stop on by, have a look at this beautifully restored Airstream, get to know them and, if they’d like, to tell them their story. You can talk about anything — your love for art, your favorite family memory, an event in your family’s life — whatever it is, as long as it’s you or your family’s personal oral history, it’s worth it.
- Vizions Dance Performance — Head to the Rumsey Street Venue for a Vizions Dance Performance!
- Honda Design & Drive Art Contest — Drop by Rosa Parks circle to watch six artists transform Honda vehicles with their unique designs in this on-going challenge. Be sure to note your favorites, as West Michigan Honda Dealers will open up a public vote to select the winning design on September 25.
NEXT MILESTONE EVENT:
Round 1 Voting, presented by Meijer, opened this week. You'll have until Midnight on September 30 to cast your votes for your favorites from among the 1,346 eligible artist entries. During Round 1, every entry at every Venue in the ArtPrize District is in the running for the big prizes. See as much art as humanly possible and vote for the artwork you think deserves a spot in the Public Vote Final 20. Download the ArtPrize mobile app today to preview entries and sign up to vote.
Don't miss the Jurors' Shortlist Event next week Monday, September 25 — when the Category Jurors announce their top picks, including 20 of the finalist entries that will move on to Round 2 Voting. Join the live studio audience at the ArtPrize Studio at HUB/HQ. Be sure to arrive early! Doors close at 6:45 p.m. and seats fill up quickly. Can't make it in person? Not to worry — you can watch live on WOOD TV8 starting at 7 p.m.
Featured Upcoming Events:
SEPTEMBER 20-23: ARTPRIZE ON SCREEN @ LADIES' LITERARY CLUB
ArtPrize On Screen, presented by the Michigan Film & Digital Media Office and produced by Celebration! Cinema, is back for another year with 13 new narrative, documentary and short films. The series kicked off September 20 and runs through Saturday, September 23. Each feature will be preceded by a Michigan-made short film curated by the UICA’s Open Projector Night Series.
Get complete details + tickets at artprize.org/film, and join us this week at the Ladies' Literary Club located at 61 Sheldon Blvd SE, next door to the ArtPrize HUB/HQ.
SEPTEMBER 22-24: AFRICAN AMERICAN ART & MUSIC FESTIVAL @ CALDER PLAZA
Today, make your way down to Calder Plaza to enjoy the African American Art and Music Celebration! For the duration of three days, the festival will immerse the community in exceptional art, delightful live music, dance and entertainment, and scrumptious food reflecting the many aspects of our diverse community. Your taste buds will be tantalized while you are being transcended by the art and music!
SEPTEMBER 27: ARTPRIZE STUDIO SERIES — PROSPECT NEW ORLEANS
Brooke Anderson, Museum Director at Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, will take to the ArtPrize Studio stage to share the origins of Prospect New Orleans, the largest triennial of contemporary art in the U.S. — where she served as Executive Director for four years. Under her leadership, Prospect New Orleans shifted from a biennial to a triennial, and she oversaw the development of Prospect.3 in 2015, which was met with critical acclaim and was seen by nearly 100,000 people. In her ArtPrize keynote address, Anderson will explore how partnerships and collaborations established and encouraged the triennial’s audience.
ArtPrize Studio is powered by ITC, Your Energy Superhighway.
#ArtPrize9 Images of the Day:
ArtPrize Nine is underway and all 1,346 entries are picture perfect ready! Above is snapshot of the work that has contributed to the transformation of Grand Rapids — shot by these Instagrammers:
- Top Row: (1) @nycsandra (2) @sabrabant (3) @medley_of_mike
- Bottom Row: (1) @carriemayhem (2) @maddsta24 (3) @sarahkcottrell
Interested in the chance to be featured? Share your ArtPrize Nine experience on Instagram with our official hashtag — #ArtPrize9. Simple as that!
Yesterday at ArtPrize:
The ninth annual event is underway, and there are tons of ways to ArtPrize! Get out and see the art, cast your votes for your favorite entries, and unwind by attending the myriad of events offered throughout the 19-day event.
Yesterday, we were able to check out an ArtPrize Education Days program with the Mosaic Film Experience as students learned about the power of storytelling with local digital media experts. These sessions equip students with the critical thinking, collaborative and creative skills necessary for career preparedness.
In the heart of downtown, we found more students taking advantage of an Education Days program in collaboration with the Grand Rapids Children's Museum. Through this 'Playful Exploration in the Park,' the students had the opportunity to reflect on ArtPrize Nine entries, explore and create with new materials, and process new ideas, thoughts and viewpoints.
Ending the night, we stopped by the ArtPrize Clubhouse to check out the Bombay Sapphire Reception, where we found ArtPrize Nine Artists and ArtClub Members enjoying snacks, drinks and each other's company.
For Kids of All Ages:
Calling all artists! ArtPrize offers an array of FREE activities for families and kids of all ages to participate in. ArtPrize Labs provides hands-on activities and creative experimenting through daily and drop-in activities, events, and programs produced by leading cultural organizations. ArtPrize Labs is sponsored by Grand Valley State University, Herman Miller Cares, and Switch.
- ArtPrize Studio — Unleash your creative spirit and stop by the ArtPrize Labs Studio at the HUB/HQ for creative activities that are fun for all ages. Open daily from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. through October 8.
- STEAM Village Learning Lab — Art meets technology at the 2017 iteration of STEAM Village — where schools and visitors of all ages are invited to drop by our unique learning lab experience. Powered by Switch, the STEAM Village hosts a variety of activities including experimenting with robots, drawing with 3D pens, experiencing virtual reality and more! The STEAM Village Lab is open from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. through October 8.
- ArtPrize Labs Mobile Workshop — Stop by Ah-Nab-Awen Park from 3 to 7 p.m. to check out the ArtPrize Labs Mobile Workshop sponsored by Herman Miller Cares, and participate in creating pop-up art making activities with repurposed materials.
With so many amazing things happening during the ninth annual event, see who's talking about ArtPrize and what they said:
- Annual ArtPrize competition kicks off in western Michigan (SF Gate)
- Artist draws votes by mixing poetry and improv (WOOD TV8)
- ArtPrize is here: Food, film and fanfare mark day one (MLive)
- ArtPrize Nine: What to Know (The Collegiate)
- GUIDE TO GRAM’S ARTPRIZE NINE EXHIBITS (GR Magazine)
- Where to park if you're going to ArtPrize (WOOD TV8)
- Rapid Blog: Monroe Community Church builds community through ArtPrize (Rapid Growth)
- ArtPrize entry breaks world record for world's largest bean bag chair (MLive)
- U.P. artist chosen to exhibit wall hangings at ArtPrize 9 (The Daily News)
- You’re invited! Ninth annual ArtPrize Awards Ceremony (eightWest)
- Charlevoix Circle of Arts headed to ArtPrize (News Review)
ArtPrize is a nonprofit organization. Your support helps the event thrive year-over-year, elevating the artists, venues and educators that create a world-class exhibition and generate learning opportunities for all.
Below are a couple ways you can support ArtPrize this fall and year-round:
- Membership: Join our ArtClub membership program and get insider access to the event as well as perks year-round, or become an ArtFan to provide support for critical ArtPrize programs that serve the social good.
- Retail Sales: Stop by the ArtPrize HUB/HQ or your local Meijer Store to pick up ArtPrize Nine merchandise, including commemorative clothing, pint glasses and mugs, the inaugural ArtPrize Magazine 'Public Notice,' and more. You can also shop many items online.
- Volunteering: Join the nearly 1,000 volunteers who step forward to welcome hundreds of thousands of visitors to ArtPrie each fall. We couldn't do it without you.
Thanks to Our Sponsors:
Support from our corporate sponsors represented our largest source of revenue in 2016, accounting for 56% of ArtPrize’s $3.6 million operating budget. This support, combined with individual membership, retail sales and more makes ArtPrize possible each year.Alee'a Ulsh-Cherry on