Welcome to your ArtPrize Daily. The ArtPrize Daily exists to keep you in the loop — delivering the ArtPrize scoop to your inbox every morning during Preview Week and the 19-day event. It's a one-stop info package, offering a concise recap on the previous day's events, a look forward to the day ahead, and handy tips to help you make the most of your visit.
What's Happening Today at ArtPrize?
Just one day remains until ArtPrize Nine kicks off tomorrow. Artists are busy putting the finishing touches on their installations across Grand Rapids (see more on that below!), event signage is going up throughout the ArtPrize district thanks to ICON Sign, and there are a several not-to-miss events happening at Venues all over town.
ON DECK TODAY:
- Preview Week @ Gerald R. Ford Museum — It's a gorgeous day to check out the Ford Museum's ArtPrize Nine exhibition ahead of the crowds, with both indoor and outdoor work to see. Museum admission applies for indoor art.
- Preview Week @ GRAM — Catch a preview of the Grand Rapids Art Museum's ArtPrize Nine exhibition before the official event opens, during Preview Week. Museum admission applies.
- A Fearless Brother Project Presents: UNAPOLOGENETIC — Experience a diverse array of mediums, boldly displayed from artists of different nationalities. The curator, Monroe O'Bryant, encouraged artists to educate viewers on the stories behind each of their works.
- Preview Week @ The Fed Galleries @ KCAD — Check out The Fed Galleries @ KCAD before the crowds, during ArtPrize Nine Preview Week. Tours of the exhibition may be arranged by contacting the galleries in advance!
- Slate: ArtPrize Nine Exhibition Opening Event — Meet Slate's ArtPrize Nine artist and enjoy light refreshments as well as 15% off all purchases at their Exhibition Opening Reception.
- ArtPrize Entry Discussion -- "One Grey Tenation: Performing America" In partnership with Books & Mortar, artist Jeffrey Augustine Songco will discuss his ArtPrize Nine entry "Society of 23's Locker Dressing Room" exhibited at the City Water Building by the Richard App Gallery.
- Sneak Peek: Monroe Community Church -- Join Monroe Community Church, in its 9th year of hosting ArtPrize, in opening for viewing one day early - enjoy dessert, coffee, snacks, and their (13) 2017 artists.
NEXT MILESTONE EVENT:
Did you know those who cast at least one vote during the event have nearly a 50% better experience than those who don't? True story! The ArtPrize Nine Public Vote — presented by Meijer — opens at noon on September 20 and will remain open until September 30 at 11:59 p.m. All 1,346 entries are eligible during Round 1 Voting, so download the ArtPrize mobile app and start previewing the amazing collection of entries for the ninth annual event!
Featured Upcoming Events:
SEPTEMBER 20: ARTPRIZE NINE OPENING CEREMONY
Tomorrow night! Head down to Rosa Parks Circle to celebrate the open of ArtPrize Nine with us. Starting at 7 p.m., we'll be ringing in our ninth season with the help of our friends at the Grand Valley State University Marching Band & Dance Company, Grand Rapids Mayor Rosalynn Bliss, and so much more. It's going to be epic. Can't make it in person? Not to worry — WOOD TV8 will be broadcasting much of the merriment live.
SEPTEMBER 20-23: ARTPRIZE ON SCREEN
ArtPrize On Screen, presented by the Michigan Film & Digital Media Office and produced by Celebration! Cinema, is back for another year with 13 new narrative, documentary and short films. The series kicks off tomorrow, September 20 and runs through Saturday, September 24. Each featured will be preceded by a Michigan-made short film curated by the UICA’s Open Projector Night Series. Joining the mix is More Art Upstairs, a documentary following four artists participating in ArtPrize Seven in 2015. Get complete details + tickets at artprize.org/film, and join us this week at the Ladies' Literary Club located at 61 Sheldon Blvd SE, next door to the ArtPrize HUB/HQ.
SEPTEMBER 22: FOUNDERS BREWING CO. PANEL @ ARTPRIZE STUDIO
Enjoy a cold Green Zebra, the Official Beer of ArtPrize Nine, amongst friends at the first ArtPrize Studio Series event of 2017. Taking the stage at ArtPrize HUB/HQ will be members of the Founders Brewing Co. leadership team moderated by Todd Herring, ArtPrize Director of Creative and Communications — diving into their creative process and the evolution of their beer lineup. Stick around after the event for the one-time-only event, STEAM Village After Dark. Founders + Robots = �� . Reserve your tickets!
ArtPrize Studio is powered by ITC, Your Energy Superhighway.
#ArtPrize9 Images of the Day:
Over the last few weeks, ArtPrize Nine artists have been busy installing their work across 175 venues throughout Grand Rapids, getting ready to share their work with you. We're loving the images you're posting from across the ArtPrize district, and have picked a few of our favorites from yesterday's Instagrammers:
- Top Row: (1) @hollywilsonart (2) @cultured.gr (3) @rosiebellasalon
- Bottom Row: (1) @sydneybowersstudio (2) @theruseescaperooms (3) @cyneffria
Interested in the chance to be featured? Share your ArtPrize Nine experience on Instagram with our official hashtag — #ArtPrize9. Simple as that!
Yesterday at ArtPrize:
On yet another beautiful day, we walked around the ArtPrize district to find artists installing their entries to have them ready for the official open of the ninth annual event. Time is winding down — Opening Day is tomorrow! — and we're excited to see the finished product of every artist's entry.
While taking a stroll through Ah-Nab-Awen Park, we ran into Joshua Lantzy and Jamie Topper — Featured Public Project winners — as they were installing their ArtPrize Nine entry 'Land Chimes.'
Check out our interview with Jamie on Facebook!
We also caught Ryan Spencer — Artist Seed Grant recipient — and his team wading in the Grand River as they worked diligently to install his ArtPrize Nine entry 'Oil + Water.'
We also launched a brand-new online training video series for ArtPrize Nine Volunteers! Now you can sign up to volunteer with us anytime, throughout the event, and learn everything you need to know before your first shift, online. Learn more about volunteering + sign up at artprize.org/for-volunteers.
For Kids of All Ages
Calling all artists! ArtPrize offers an array of FREE activities for families and kids of all ages to participate in. ArtPrize Labs provides hands-on activities and creative experimenting through daily and drop-in activities, events, and programs produced by leading cultural organizations. ArtPrize Labs is sponsored by Grand Valley State University, Herman Miller Cares, and Switch.
- ArtPrize Studio — Unleash your creative spirit and stop by the ArtPrize Labs Studio at the HUB/HQ for creative activities that are fun for all ages. Open daily from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. through October 8.
- STEAM Village Learning Lab — Art meets technology at the 2017 iteration of STEAM Village — where schools and visitors of all ages are invited to drop by our unique learning lab experience. Powered by Switch, the STEAM Village hosts a variety of activities including experimenting with robots, drawing with 3D pens, experiencing virtual reality and more! The STEAM Village Lab is open from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. through October 8.
With so many amazing things happening during the ninth annual event, see who's talking about ArtPrize and what they said:
- ArtPrize Nine project showcases STEM in art (WOOD TV8)
- ArtPrize Nine Opens Wednesday with 1,346 Artists (The Detroit News)
- Reed City Middle School project heads to ArtPrize competition (Cadillac News)
- Artists gear up for ArtPrize 9 (FOX 17)
- Women's Lifestyle Magazine: Imagine the Artist in You (WZZM 13)
- ArtPrize to bring 500K visitors downtown (Grand Rapids Business Journal)
ArtPrize is a nonprofit organization. Your support helps the event thrive year-over-year, elevating the artists, venues and educators that create a world-class exhibition and generate learning opportunities for all.
Below are a couple ways you can support ArtPrize this fall and year-round:
- Membership: Join our ArtClub membership program and get insider access to the event as well as perks year-round, or become an ArtFan to provide support for critical ArtPrize programs that serve the social good.
- Retail Sales: Stop by the ArtPrize HUB/HQ or your local Meijer Store to pick up ArtPrize Nine merchandise, including commemorative clothing, pint glasses and mugs, the inaugural ArtPrize Magazine 'Public Notice,' and more. You can also shop many items online.
- Volunteering: Join the nearly 1,000 volunteers who step forward to welcome hundreds of thousands of visitors to ArtPrie each fall. We couldn't do it without you.
Thanks to Our Sponsors:
Support from our corporate sponsors represented our largest source of revenue in 2016, accounting for 56% of ArtPrize’s $3.6 million operating budget. This support, combined with individual membership, retail sales and more makes ArtPrize possible each year.Alee'a Ulsh-Cherry on