Welcome to your ArtPrize Daily. The ArtPrize Daily exists to keep you in the loop — delivering the ArtPrize scoop to your inbox every morning during Preview Week and the 19-day event. It's a one-stop info package, offering a concise recap on the previous day's events, a look forward to the day ahead, and handy tips to help you make the most of your visit.
What's Happening Today at ArtPrize?
ARTPRIZE PREVIEW WEEK: SEPTEMBER 13-19
ArtPrize Preview Week is here, and there are many exciting things in store for the week. From September 13-19, explore events and happenings around the city at the many participating ArtPrize Nine Venues, ahead of the crowds. Be sure to check out the video above for a quick recap of a few artist installs that took place over the last few days. There's plenty more to come through the rest of Preview Week!
ON DECK TODAY:
- ArtPrize Preview Week @ Grand Rapids Art Museum — Catch a preview of GRAM's ArtPrize Nine exhibition before the official event opens, during Preview Week. Regular admission applies.
- A Fearless Brother Project Presents: UNAPOLOGENETIC — Experience a diverse array of mediums, boldly displayed from artists of different nationalities. The curator, Monroe O'Bryant, encouraged artists to educate viewers on the stories behind each of their works.
- The Fed Galleries @ KCAD Preview Week — Check out The Fed Galleries @ KCAD before the crowds, during ArtPrize Nine Preview Week. Tours of the exhibition may be arranged by contacting the galleries in advance!
- Apothecary Off Main: Exhibition Opening Event — See two local artists work while enjoying the aroma of the store at Apothecary Off Main during ArtPrize Nine Preview Week.
- Observe Live Model Figure Sketch — Grand Valley Artists, Inc. invites you to observe a Live Model Sketch in their studio.
- 2nd Annual WGNO Block Party — Join the West Grand Neighborhood Organization in celebrating Preview Week by enjoying live music, a beer tent, games, vendors and more!
NEXT MILESTONE EVENT:
Did you know those who cast at least one vote during the event have nearly a 50% better experience than those who don't? True story! The ArtPrize Nine Public Vote — presented by Meijer — opens at noon on September 20 and will remain open until September 30 at 11:59 p.m. All 1,346 entries are eligible during Round 1 Voting, so download the ArtPrize mobile app and start previewing the amazing collection of entries for the ninth annual event!
#ArtPrize9 Images of the Day:
Over the last few weeks, ArtPrize Nine artists have been busy installing their work across 175 venues throughout Grand Rapids, getting ready to share their work with you. We're already loving the images you're posting from across the ArtPrize district! In each ArtPrize Daily, we'll be featuring a few of our favorites. The ArtPrize Nine images above come from these Instagrammers:
- Top Row: (1) @cjhungerman (2) @hansendm (3) @stacymulder
- Bottom Row: (1) @616photos (2) @jimphan_ (3) @seencapone
Interested in the chance to be featured? Share your ArtPrize Nine experience on Instagram with our official hashtag — #ArtPrize9. Simple as that!
Yesterday at ArtPrize:
ArtPrize Preview Week is still underway and there are tons of events and exhibitions to experience. Yesterday, we had the chance to visit The Fed Galleries @ KCAD, Kendall College of Art and Design, to check out some of the amazing entries featured in their ArtPrize Nine exhibition.
Also, returning to the ninth annual event is ArtPrize Water Share. Help us to reduce the prevalence of single-use water bottles by picking up a FREE Water Share sticker (available at all ArtPrize HUBs) to place on your reusable water bottle. The sticker allow you to refill your waterbottle at any participating ArtPrize Nine Venues. Once you've filled up, drink up and stay hydrated while you ArtPrize!
For Kids of All Ages:
Check it out! GRKids just published their ArtPrize Kids Venue & Exhibit List, including a list of kid-friendly artwork that complements our new ArtPrize Nine Family Experience Guide. Danielle Reed's entry 'Quenched', pictured above, is one of the many extraordinary entries your kids will be sure to love at ArtPrize Nine.
Calling all artists! ArtPrize offers an array of FREE activities for families and kids of all ages to participate in. ArtPrize Labs provides hands-on activities and creative experimenting through daily and drop-in activities, events, and programs produced by leading cultural organizations. ArtPrize Labs is sponsored by Amway, Grand Valley State University and Herman Miller Cares.
- ArtPrize Studio — Unleash your creative spirit and stop by the ArtPrize Labs Studio at the HUB/HQ for creative activities that are fun for all ages. Open daily from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. through October 8.
- STEAM Village Learning Lab — Art meets technology at the 2017 iteration of STEAM Village — where schools and visitors of all ages are invited to drop by our unique learning lab experience. Powered by Switch, the STEAM Village hosts a variety of activities including experimenting with robots, drawing with 3D pens, experiencing virtual reality and more! The STEAM Village Lab is open from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. through October 8.
With so many amazing things happening during the ninth annual event, see who's talking about ArtPrize and what they said:
- Clubhouse opens for all ArtPrize badgeholders (cultured.GR)
- ArtPrize hones tech focus in Studio Series (Grand Rapids Business Journal)
- ArtPrize, apples and more: Things to Do all over Michigan Sept. 15-17 (MLive)
- Local art collectors can view curated selection of ArtPrize Nine work (WZZM 13)
- ArtPrize artist fled Irma in ‘Sharpie Van’ (WOOD TV8)
- Morning Buzz: 5 things you should know for Friday, Sept. 15 (FOX 17)
- World's Most-Attended Arts Festival Expands Experiential Activations With National Sponsors (The Auto Channel)
ArtPrize is a nonprofit organization. Your support helps the event thrive year-over-year, elevating the artists, venues and educators that create a world-class exhibition and generate learning opportunities for all.
Below are a couple ways you can support ArtPrize this fall and year-round:
- Membership: Join our ArtClub membership program and get insider access to the event as well as perks year-round, or become an ArtFan to provide support for critical ArtPrize programs that serve the social good.
- Retail Sales: Stop by the ArtPrize HUB/HQ or your local Meijer Store to pick up ArtPrize Nine merchandise, including commemorative clothing, pint glasses and mugs, the inaugural ArtPrize Magazine 'Public Notice,' and more. You can also shop many items online.
Thanks to Our Sponsors:
Support from our corporate sponsors represented our largest source of revenue in 2016, accounting for 56% of ArtPrize’s $3.6 million operating budget. This support, combined with individual membership, retail sales and more makes ArtPrize possible each year.Alee'a Ulsh-Cherry on