Welcome to your ArtPrize Daily. The ArtPrize Daily exists to keep you in the loop — delivering the ArtPrize scoop to your inbox every morning during Preview Week and the 19-day event. It's a one-stop info package, offering a concise recap on the previous day's events, a look forward to the day ahead, and handy tips to help you make the most of your visit.
What's Happening Today at ArtPrize?
ArPrize Nine entry 'CHCKN' by Artemis Antippas, located at the Urban Institute for Contemporary Art (UICA).
ARTPRIZE PREVIEW WEEK: SEPTEMBER 13-19
ArtPrize Preview Week continues, and there are many exciting things in store for the week. From September 13-19, explore events and happenings around the city at the many participating ArtPrize Nine Venues, ahead of the crowds.
ON DECK TODAY:
- GRAM Afterdark: Quiet Clubbing — Quiet clubbing is returning to the Grand Rapids Art Museum! From 9 p.m. to midnight, grab a drink and dance the night away to sounds by DJs Adrian Butler, Complete VII and Monica Parker. Also, enjoy viewing ArtPrize Nine artwork while the galleries are open late. This is a 21+ event. To purchase tickets, click here.
- Artist Meet and Greet at Gallery Divani — Meet local artist Nancy Rosart during an informal discussion of her ArtPrize entries at Gallery Divani during ArtPrize Nine Preview Week.
- Swift Printing ArtPrize Nine Exhibition — Have fun window shopping and seeing all the wonderful art on display at Swift Printing, viewable from the sidewalk, during ArtPrize Nine Preview Week.
- Brothers Leather Supply Co. Exhibition Open — Stop by Brothers Leather Supply Co. to preview their ArtPrize Nine exhibition ahead of the crowds.
- Artist Lessons — Meet the ArtPrize Artists showing their work at the Department of Corrections during the ninth annual event, and stick around for helpful hints on how to create your own works of art. All are invited.
NEXT MILESTONE EVENT:
Did you know those who cast at least one vote during the event have nearly a 50% better experience than those who don't? True story! The ArtPrize Nine Public Vote — presented by Meijer — opens at noon on September 20 and will remain open until September 30 at 11:59 p.m. All 1,346 entries are eligible during Round 1 Voting, so download the ArtPrize mobile app and start previewing the amazing collection of entries for the ninth annual event!
#ArtPrize9 Images of the Day:
Over the last few weeks, ArtPrize Nine artists have been busy installing their work across 175 venues throughout Grand Rapids, getting ready to share their work with you. We're already loving the images you're posting from across the ArtPrize district! In each ArtPrize Daily, we'll be featuring a few of our favorites. Below are today's featured Instagrammers:
- Top Row: (1) jeffysf (2) linnaenicole (3) jamie_may_photography
- Bottom Row: (1) vandermeyceramics (2) samanthaparkersalazar (3) lizitto
Interested in the chance to be featured? Share your ArtPrize Nine experience on Instagram with our official hashtag — #ArtPrize9. Simple as that!
Yesterday at ArtPrize:
ArtPrize Preview Week is still underway and artists are still working diligently to prepare for the ninth annual event. Yesterday, we took a trip to the the Urban Institute for Contemporary Arts (UICA) to check out their ArtPrize Nine exhibition, exploring several ArtPrize Nine entries including 'Canceled Edition' by Pitch Night New Orleans winner, Pippin Frisbie Calder.
We also had time to relax in the Pop-Up Park provided by Landscape Design Services, located next to the ArtPrize HUB/HQ, where you can sit back, rest your feet and enjoy playing games such as cornhole or giant jenga!
For Kids of All Ages:
Calling all artists! ArtPrize offers an array of FREE activities for families and kids of all ages to participate in. ArtPrize Labs provides hands-on activities and creative experimenting through daily and drop-in activities, events, and programs produced by leading cultural organizations. ArtPrize Labs is sponsored by Amway, Grand Valley State University and Herman Miller Cares.
- ArtPrize Studio — Unleash your creative spirit and stop by the ArtPrize Labs Studio at the HUB/HQ for creative activities that are fun for all ages! Open daily from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. through October 8.
- STEAM Village Learning Lab — Art meets technology at the 2017 iteration of STEAM Village — where schools and visitors of all ages are invited to drop by our unique learning lab experience. Powered by Switch, the STEAM Village hosts a variety of activities including experimenting with robots, drawing with 3D pens, experiencing virtual reality and more! The STEAM Village Lab is open daily from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. through October 8.
With so many amazing things happening during the ninth annual event, see who's talking about ArtPrize and what they said:
- 90 artists come together to show off, sell work to benefit education programming (FOX 17)
- Downtown GR development makes old new again (WOOD TV8)
- Rodin and the Contemporary Figurative Tradition opens Friday at Meijer Gardens (WZZM 13)
- Andrew Woodstock: Sizing Up ArtPrize (Revue)
- ArtPrize awarding 14 'independent' prizes (Grand Rapids Business Journal)
ArtPrize is a nonprofit organization. Your support helps the event thrive year-over-year, elevating the artists, venues and educators that create a world-class exhibition and generate learning opportunities for all.
Below are a couple ways you can support ArtPrize this fall and year-round:
- Membership: Join our ArtClub membership program and get insider access to the event as well as perks year-round, or become an ArtFan to provide support for critical ArtPrize programs that serve the social good.
- Retail Sales: Stop by the ArtPrize HUB/HQ or your local Meijer Store to pick up ArtPrize Nine merchandise, including commemorative clothing, pint glasses and mugs, the inaugural ArtPrize Magazine 'Public Notice,' and more. You can also shop many items online.
Thanks to Our Sponsors:
Support from our corporate sponsors represented our largest source of revenue in 2016, accounting for 56% of ArtPrize’s $3.6 million operating budget. This support, combined with individual membership, retail sales and more makes ArtPrize possible each year.Alee'a Ulsh-Cherry on