Welcome to your ArtPrize Daily. The ArtPrize Daily exists to keep you in the loop — delivering the ArtPrize scoop to your inbox every morning during Preview Week and the 19-day event. It's a one-stop info package, offering a concise recap of the previous day's events, a look forward to the day ahead, and handy tips to help you make the most of your visit.
What's Happening Today at ArtPrize?
- Workshop Wednesdays: Grand Rapids Public Library — Learn about different applications of STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math) through hands-on activities, discussions, and career exploration. Each month, a different topic will be explored. This month learn about hydraulics. Learn the principles of water power by assembling a functioning robotic arm that moves using hydraulic power.
- Origami Folding Demonstration — Artist Stacie Tamaki will be demonstrating how to fold miniature origami cranes and butterflies from 1.5" paper squares.
- ArtPrize Labs @ Lions & Rabbits — Celebrate the art of fashion by creating a costume for your child using recycled materials.
- ArtPrize Tours — Not quite sure where to start, or looking for a fresh new perspective on the annual event? Take a tour of ArtPrize Nine and our city with us! The ArtPrize Nine tour, produced by the ArtPrize team, has been specifically designed to draw your attention not only to artwork that is entered into the 2017 event, but also iconic artworks that are permanent to the city of Grand Rapids.
NEXT MILESTONE EVENT
Round 2 Voting, presented by Meijer, closes tomorrow at 11:59 p.m. Make sure to go out and see all 38 entries so you can continue to vote for your favorite pieces. At the end of Round 2 voting, the Artist Entry with the most Round 2 votes in each category will win their $12,500 public vote category award. The Finalist with the most Round 2 votes overall will be awarded the $200,000 Public Vote Grand Prize.
By voting at ArtPrize, you not only help in deciding the winners of half of the $500,000 in prizes - you also win a prize yourself! Every voter will receive a commemorative ArtPrize Nine tote bag, thanks to Meijer, at any ArtPrize HUB. You'll also earn Meijer mPerks points for every vote you cast. Cast 8-15 votes to receive $5 off fresh items, 16-24 votes to get $5 off a purchase of $25+, and more than 25 votes to get $10 off a purchase of $40+. Learn more on our mobile app.
Featured Upcoming Events:
OCTOBER 6: NINTH ANNUAL ARTPRIZE AWARDS & ARTPRIZE AFTER DARK
20 Monroe Live | Awards Ceremony, 7:30 p.m. | ArtPrize After Dark, 9 p.m.
Find out which artist entries will take home part of the $500,000 in cash prizes — awarded equally by public vote and expert jury. The two-time Emmy Award-nominated ArtPrize Awards Ceremony, powered by DTE Energy Foundation, will be broadcast live on NBC affiliate WOOD TV8, starting at 7:30 p.m. Todd Herring, ArtPrize Director of Creative and Communications and long-time River City Improv comedian, will return as host of the ceremony alongside returning house band, ONEFREQ. Tickets to the ceremony, plus ArtPrize After Dark, are now on sale for just $9.99 — but get yours quick because they're going fast.
Immediately following the announcement of the $200,000 Public Vote and Juried Grand Prize winners, the floor at 20 Monroe Live will transform from a TV studio-style audience, clearing the floor for ArtPrize After Dark, presented by LIFEWTR. Detroit-based band ONEFREQ will kick off the evening with a soulful set, followed immediately by headlining artist, Maségo. Get tickets while they last!
OCTOBER 8: ARTPRIZE NINE CLOSING DAY
ArtPrize Nine venues will remain open through the weekend, following the winners' announcement at the ArtPrize Awards, until Sunday, October 8 at 6 p.m.
#ArtPrize9 Images of the Day:
ArtPrize Nine is underway and all 1,346 entries are picture perfect ready! Above is a snapshot of the work that has contributed to the transformation of Grand Rapids — shot by these Instagrammers:
- Top Row: (1) @diane.charvat (2) @oliviaadamspr (3) @lola_audu
- Bottom Row: (1) @florlizzz (2) @artsychick94 (3) @ryanspencerreed1
Interested in the chance to be featured? Share your ArtPrize Nine experience on Instagram with our official hashtag — #ArtPrize9. Simple as that!
Yesterday at ArtPrize:
Last night concluded the 'Why These Finalists?' series for ArtPrize Nine. Panelists Justin Witte, Curator and Director at Cleve Carney Art Gallery; Laura Ritchie, Co-founder and Director at The Carrack Modern Art; and Kulapat Yantrasast, founder of wHY Architecture, did not hold back as they examined finalist entries in the 3-D and Time-Based categories.
Looking for a new way to explore ArtPrize? Look no further than the sidewalks all around you! Returning for a third year, Pantone Pathways presented by X-Rite Pantone provides clear walking paths for ArtPrizers like you to navigate your way throughout the 19-day event. And for a second year, you can turn your steps into prizes through the Art Meets Heart Steps Challenge. Walk 10,000+ steps at ArtPrize for the chance to win great prizes thanks to Wolverine Worldwide. Learn more on our blog.
In partnership with the Creative Youth Center, ArtPrize Education Days programming, presented by PNC Bank, focused on the art of storytelling today. Students learned about basic artistic and narrative underpinnings of graphic storytelling from a published writer and a professional graphic artist. After learning how to fold a zine out of a single sheet of paper, students let their imaginations run wild by writing and creating their own graphic stories.
After witnessing future authors and illustrators in action, we stopped by the YMCA to check in on their Education Days programming — You2 Art. Students discovered what makes them unique while blossoming into superhero versions of themselves through performance art such as poetry, dance and song.
For Kids of All Ages:
Calling all artists! ArtPrize offers an array of FREE activities for families and kids of all ages to participate in. ArtPrize Labs provides hands-on activities and creative experimenting through daily and drop-in activities, events, and programs produced by leading cultural organizations. ArtPrize Labs is sponsored by Grand Valley State University, Herman Miller Cares, and Switch.
- ArtPrize Studio — Unleash your creative spirit and stop by the ArtPrize Labs Studio at the HUB/HQ for creative activities that are fun for all ages. Open daily from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. through October 8.
- STEAM Village Learning Lab — Art meets technology at the 2017 iteration of STEAM Village — where schools and visitors of all ages are invited to drop by our unique learning lab experience. Powered by Switch, the STEAM Village hosts a variety of activities including experimenting with robots, drawing with 3D pens, experiencing virtual reality and more! The STEAM Village Lab is open from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. through October 8.
- ArtPrize Labs Mobile Workshop — Stop by Monument Park from 3-7 p.m. to check out the ArtPrize Labs Mobile Workshop sponsored by Herman Miller Cares, and participate in creating pop-up art-making activities with repurposed materials.
- Youth Collaboration Award — The Youth Collaboration Award, sponsored by Western Michigan University, gives K-12 students a platform to exhibit their work for thousands of ArtPrize visitors (that’s you!) to view. For the first time ever, ArtPrize Nine will feature 26 student-driven collaborative entries from schools across the state of Michigan. To find all Youth Collaboration Award entries, click here!
'Broke(n)Hunger' by Kyd Kane at Urban Institute for Contemporary Arts (ArtPrize Nine Finalist)
With so many amazing things happening during the ninth annual event, see who's talking about ArtPrize and what they said:
- Why These Finalists? 3-D and Time-Based entries (WOOD TV8)
- ArtPrize artist loves to see happy expressions (The Collegiate)
- Meet the 15 Michigan artists among the 38 ArtPrize finalists (MLive)
- MTM On The Road: Grand Rapids 9th Annual ArtPrize (9 & 10 News)
- ArtPrize Final 20 artist: ‘It’s all about the people’ (WOOD TV8)
- ArtPrize 2017 Top 20 Finalist "Lux Maximus" interview with the artist (The Rapidian)
- ArtPrize with Maranda: what families and kids love most (WOTV4women)
- Milford painter's works take viewers on a “Journey Through Michigan” (Oakland Press)
- Photos: ArtPrize Nine Final 20 (WOOD TV8)
- Why These Finalists: First night of panelists compare juror selections with public finalists (cultured.GR)
- Community responds to 'Why These Finalists? Part 1' (The Rapidian)
- “MIDTOWN FLUTTER” CAPTIVATES ARTPRIZE VIEWERS (GR Magazine)
ArtPrize is a nonprofit organization. Your support helps the event thrive year-over-year, elevating the artists, venues and educators that create a world-class exhibition and generate learning opportunities for all.
Below are a couple ways you can support ArtPrize this fall and year-round:
- Membership: Join our ArtClub membership program and get insider access to the event as well as perks year-round, or become an ArtFan to provide support for critical ArtPrize programs that serve the social good.
- Retail Sales: Stop by the ArtPrize HUB/HQ or your local Meijer Store to pick up ArtPrize Nine merchandise, including commemorative clothing, pint glasses and mugs, the inaugural ArtPrize Magazine 'Public Notice,' and more. You can also shop many items online.
- Volunteering: Join the nearly 1,000 volunteers who step forward to welcome hundreds of thousands of visitors to ArtPrize each fall. We couldn't do it without you.
Thanks to Our Sponsors:
Support from our corporate sponsors represented our largest source of revenue in 2016, accounting for 56% of ArtPrize’s $3.6 million operating budget. This support, combined with individual membership, retail sales and more makes ArtPrize possible each year.Alee'a Ulsh-Cherry on