Find out what artwork captures the attention of the knowledgeable, yet tasteful minds of local, national and international art professionals. Allow their expertise to guide you through an unforgettable ArtPrize 10 experience. When opening the map, you’ll find yourself immersed in ArtPrize 10 entries that won grants from the ArtPrize Advisory Council, six Pitch Night events, and the ArtPrize exhibitions team, as well as this year’s participating venues that have won or been nominated for the Outstanding Venue Juried Award.
Where to Start?
Start your ArtPrize adventure by stopping by the Visitor Pavilion, located at Rosa Parks Circle, where a friendly volunteer can make sure you're ready to vote for your favorite entries, help you map your unique ArtPrize route, equip you with one of our three Experience Guides (like the Family Experience and Outdoor Experience Guides!) and an enhanced Metro Pass, give you your free ArtPrize Event Guide and help you make the most of your ArtPrize experience.
- ArtPrize 10 Opening Ceremony: Mark your calendars for the ArtPrize 10 Opening Ceremony and help us ring in the tenth installment of ArtPrize.
- Jurors’ Shortlist Announcement // Sept. 24 at Rosa Parks Circle: ArtPrize Panel of category jurors will reveal their top 20 ArtPrize entries and five outstanding venue nominees.
- Why These Finalists // Oct. 1 & 2 at Rosa Parks Circle: Art experts discuss the public and juried finalists, half each evening, in a lively, humorous and irreverent debate.
- Tenth Annual ArtPrize Awards // Oct. 5 at Rosa Parks Circle: Tune into WOOD TV8’s broadcast or be a part of the live audience for the Tenth Annual ArtPrize Awards to see who will take home the $200,000 Juried Grand Prize in addition to $100,000 in category awards.
For more events, visit artprize.org/events.
ArtPrize Artist Grants
Over the past 10 years of ArtPrize, over $1 million has been awarded to artists through granting programs developed by ArtPrize. In 2018 alone:
- Artist Seed Grants awarded 25 artists with $2,000 each. Members of the ArtPrize Art Advisory Council selected artists that demonstrated financial need and artistic merit.
- Pitch Night events took place in New Orleans, Phoenix, Nashville, Cincinnatti, and Detroit. Each event included a panel of art experts that awarded $5,000 along with a guaranteed spot in a high-profile ArtPrize.
- Featured Public Projects awarded $75,000 in grants to artists and collaboratives from around the country to install large-scale public art projects at prominent and unexpected outdoor spaces within the ArtPrize district.
- Mural Grant Program awarded grants to three artists to apply their murals to shipping containers
Spark a Conversation
Now that you've seen which works of art caught the eyes of art professionals, it's time for you to formulate your own opinion! When you come across these highlighted works of art, follow these steps to spark a conversation with the person next to you:
- Step 1: Take a moment to pause and experience the work of art.
- Step 2: What do you see or hear? What is happening?
- Step 3: Why is it the way that it is? The artist statement can help with this.
- Step 4: How does it relate to your own life, feelings, ideas? Does it challenge you?
- Step 5: Why do you think this artwork was chosen as a grant-winner?
- Step 6: Vote—do you think it should win ArtPrize? Why?
See Something You Love?
Vote for it! You decide which artists will take home $250,000 in public vote awards. For the second year, you'll have the chance to consider and vote on the jury's picks and they'll take your picks into consideration as well. Anyone 13 and up can vote via the mobile app or at artprize.org.By Alee'a Ulsh-Cherry on