Are You There Norman? It’s Me, Adam the Painter (The Boys)

Adam Bock's avatar Adam Bock

[this painting is 95% finished, the remaining 5% will be finished in the next couple of months and progress updates will be posted each week] This is a painting of my nephews. My sister used the original photo for their family Christmas card. It reminded me of a Norman Rockwell painting. My sister is also an artist. In the 90’s my aunt commissioned my sister to do a painting based off of a fabric swatch for their basement. The painting of her boys is layered on that original painting [The red edges are the last visible vestiges of that project]. This painting took over 2 years to complete and felt like an Odyssey. During its course I experienced multiple career and family dynamic changes. More than once, while working on it, I quit painting all-together. The sessions I showed up and stubbornly kept working, represent an unromantic triumph of willpower. I’m proud of my Nephews, I hope that they are proud of this.

Entry Details
  • Art form: 2-D
  • Depth: 1”
  • Medium: Oil on Canvas (On Painting)
  • Width: 42.5”
  • Year created: 2021
  • Height: 53”