Help For Venues
Artists and venues must sign a “Hosting Agreement” before completing their connection on ArtPrize.org.
The Hosting Agreement is a contract template designed to address all details an artist will want to know about a venue before deciding to show work and vice versa. It covers things like:
- A description of the work to be exhibited
- How much space it will take up in the venue
- When the artist can start installation
- Specific requirements for the work (like lighting)
- Specific description of the location within the venue
- Any additional open hours beyond the required minimum
- Who is responsible for work removal and how it will be removed
- Who pays for shipping, installation, promotional materials (if any)
- Who is responsible for insurance and security during the event
- How sales of artwork will be handled
The above details are the ones that–without a Hosting Agreement in place–could be easily missed or miscommunicated and create a strain between artist and venue, leading to difficulties leading up to, and during the ArtPrize event.
Artists and venues are expected to negotiate the terms until both parties are comfortable with the details.
Note that names can simply be typed into the signature section at the bottom of the Hosting Agreement. It constitutes a valid signature, so the entire agreement can be done through email without having to print it out, sign it and fax or mail it back and forth.