Help For Artists
Temporary Housing Opportunity for Visiting ArtPrize Artists
Coming to Grand Rapids to participate in ArtPrize can be costly. Luckily, there are wonderful volunteers who are ready to help reduce the cost of your stay. Each year, ArtPrize helps match out-of-town artists with volunteers offering free temporary housing. If you’re an ArtPrize artist coming from outside West Michigan, you’re eligible. To find housing, just follow these simple steps.
- TIPS: Review tips for connecting with a host (see below) – this information has been lovingly compiled for you by previous Hosts and Artists!
- FORM: Fill out and submit the Artist Housing Request Form for our review.
- SHARE: Once approved, we will share with you a spreadsheet of Host families. You can review the homes and reach out to any who you think would be a good fit with your timing and your needs.
- CONNECT: Reach out via email or phone to make a connection with a Host Home. When you have secured your agreement (they like you, you like them), please let us know by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tips for Connecting with a Volunteer Host
It is important to spend a bit of time thinking through some of your expectations around living with a host family. Understanding how you feel about shared time and shared space can help you be prepared! Here are some questions that might be helpful to think about:
- Are you comfortable with potentially sharing a bathroom, kitchen, or other common space with someone new?
- Would you be able to rely on public transit if you and your host are unable to provide transportation? (Grand Rapids has a really great bus system, as well as taxis.)
- Would you need to be hosted before the event in order to install your artwork?
- Are you open to staying in a home with pets?
- Are you expecting or hoping to be able to come and go as you please? Are you assuming that your host will give you a key to their home? (This is not typically an issue – it is however good to think about. Especially if you expect to be out late and/or leave very early in the mornings.)
- How much time do you anticipate spending with your hosts? Would you like to share meals with your host family?
- Do you need access to a computer? If you are traveling with your own laptop, are you expecting to be able to connect to wifi?
- Are you staying long enough that you might like the option to do your laundry at your host’s home?
- Would you be comfortable sleeping on a futon in someone’s basement? If not, you might want to be very clear about spaces you are or are not comfortable sleeping in.
- Once you have connected with a potential host it is best to address any concerns you have right away to ensure that the best possible pairing is made.
- If you don’t believe the connection is a proper fit, it is better to say so than put yourself in an uncomfortable position.
Also : To help streamline the process, we suggest that you type up a bio including your expected length of stay, okay/not with pets, space needed, amenities, expectations, etc. and include a photo to send to potential hosts. A link to your ArtPrize entry/venue, personal website or Facebook page is also helpful—the more a host knows about you, the better!
Questions regarding volunteer housing should be directed to email@example.com.
Ready? Fill out Artist Housing Request Form