There are all sorts of ways for generous, fun-loving people like you to get involved in the ArtPrize® excitement! Here’s a sample of what’s on the menu:
Provide hospitality and support to visitors from near and far by volunteering in the Public Lounge at the ArtPrize HUB at 41 Sheldon. Make everyone feel at home and direct any inquiries to the appropriate personnel. Posts include working in our retail store, outdoor lounge and as greeter.
Kids Art Room
Lead and supervise arts and crafts activities in the Kids Art Room at the ArtPrize HUB. If you enjoy working with children, this is the place for you!
One of the most important jobs during ArtPrize! Help visitors set up their voter registration accounts and complete the registration process. Working knowledge of computers is a must. Extra training required.
Serve as an ArtPrize tour guide and ambassador of downtown Grand Rapids! You’ll be equipped with maps and other resources and assigned to a specific location in the ArtPrize District where you’ll welcome visitors, provide directions, answer questions, and promote activities and Venues in your area. Must be willing and able to be on your feet for 3-hour shifts.
Assist in the general set-up and execution of official ArtPrize events to help facilitate the best possible experience for everyone involved. With a few exceptions, these events are usually in the evenings and will require a commitment of 3 to 6 hours.
All of our shifts need a Volunteer Lead! Leads are responsible for sending out and placing Volunteers in their specific posts, checking in with all posts during the shift, and collecting any ArtPrize resources at the end of the shift. Extra training required. Learn more about Volunteer Leadership positions.
Anyone ages 18 and older can volunteer for ArtPrize! All you have to do is apply online using a valid e-mail address before the end of Orientation. (You also have to be friendly and helpful and generally awesome, which, if you’re looking into volunteering, you clearly are. Congrats! You’re qualified!)
A quick note for Artists
If you’re participating in ArtPrize as an Artist, you can still sign up to volunteer! Many Artists volunteer every year, and we love to have Artists involved in welcoming visitors and encouraging participation. However, please keep in mind that it is very important that ArtPrize is in no way connected with the promotion of your Artwork. That means that when you are volunteering, you are a Volunteer only. Any promotion of your Artwork in the competition while volunteering will result in the termination of your participation with the Volunteer Team. Fair enough?
This is largely up to you. Some Volunteers want to help out all day every day (it really is that much fun), while others can only commit to volunteering for a few hours. Most will usually sign up for at least three shifts. Whatever works for you, we’re happy to have you on the team.
As an ArtPrize Volunteer, there are just two minimum time requirements:
- Attend the one-hour Orientation
- Serve during at least one shift (each shift is typically about three hours long)
Pick an Orientation time and schedule your shifts through your Volunteer Account. (You'll receive your log in information after your application has been processed.)
Prefer to volunteer with friends? Perfect! Groups are encouraged to volunteer together during ArtPrize; it’s a fun way to see art, extend hospitality to visitors, and spend time with your friends and co-workers in the great city of Grand Rapids. Group Volunteers are positioned as Wayfinders, the official tour guides and ambassadors of ArtPrize.
It's easy to sign up with friends. Here's how:
- Organize your group. If you don't have a group yet, you can use this handy Group Volunteering Flyer to spread the word and recruit your friends.
- Reach out. Send an e-mail to email@example.com and tell us about your group. We'll send you a packet with all the information you need to get your group signed up, including available Wayfinding shifts, training times, and a form for you to fill out with the names and e-mail addresses of your group members.
- Choose a day and shift that works for everyone and tell us who's committed. Fill out the form we sent you, send it back, and let us do the rest!
From here we will create accounts for each member of your group based on the name and e-mail information you provide, and we will send each individual their own username and password so that they can sign in to their Volunteer Account. Each group member will be signed up for the same shift and training time, based on your request.
Still have questions?
How To Apply
The sign up process is so easy it’s silly. Here’s what you do:
- Click here to fill out the online Volunteer Application form
- Enter your name, e-mail address, and other information and then click “Continue”
- That was it!
When you’re approved, you’ll receive a confirmation e-mail with a username and password for your Volunteer Account.
Prefer visuals? This short video will walk you through the sign-up process.
Your Volunteer account is brimming with important information for Volunteers, so it’s worth a few minutes to make yourself familiar. This is where you'll schedule volunteer shifts, find details about volunteer events, and personalize your Volunteer Profile with a photo of your smiling face.
Log in using the username and password we sent you via e-mail shortly after you submitted your volunteer application. (You’ll probably want to change the temporary password to something easier to remember once you get into your account. Don't worry if you forget your password—you can reset it from the sign in page.)
Schedule Your Shifts
Because your time is valuable, you get to choose the shifts that you want during the times that work best for your personal schedule! By using an online scheduling system through your Volunteer Account, we’re able to coordinate your schedule with the rest of the Volunteer Team and match your availability with all the ways you can help!
This video explains how to access your Volunteer Account, schedule shifts, and change your schedule.
Prefer text? Read on.
Sign up for shifts
- Sign in to your Volunteer Account and click the “My Schedule” tab to bring up your calendar.
- Click the “Help Wanted” sign on any given date to pull up a list of all the volunteer shifts available that day. You will also be able to see who else has signed up for shifts.
- Click the orange “Schedule Me” button beside a shift to add yourself to the schedule, then confirm by clicking the orange “Yes” button at the bottom of the next page. Click “Continue” to return to the calendar and sign up for more opportunities!
If you do not see the “Schedule Me” button next to a shift, it means the shifts for that position on that specific day are full. Please look to another day or position for open shifts.
Once you’re on the schedule, you will be sent a schedule reminder 48 hours before your shift. Please note that, while you may change your schedule any time prior to this point, you may not change your shift after you have been sent this reminder.
Changing your schedule
You may change your schedule any time up until 48 hours before your shift starts. To change your shift, sign in to your Volunteer Account and follow these three steps:
- Click on the “My Schedule” tab to bring up your calendar.
- Click on the date you are scheduled. At the top of the screen you will see your personal schedule.
- Click “Remove Me” from the shift you can no longer fill. Be sure to find another shift you’re interested in filling instead!
Before each shift, all ArtPrize Volunteers need to check in at the Volunteer Lounge in the ArtPrize HUB at 41 Sheldon.
All registered ArtPrize Volunteers are listed alphabetically by last name in a binder available in the Volunteer Lounge, and there’s a unique PIN number beside each name. You don’t have to memorize this number or anything, but you’ll need your PIN to use the Sign-In Kiosk and check in.
Here’s how to use the Sign-In Kiosk:
- Enter your Volunteer PIN, then touch the “Continue” button.
- Confirm your name and touch the “Yes” button.
- When it asks what you’d like to do, touch the “Sign In” button.
- Touch the assignment you’ve signed up for.
- Confirm your name, date, time, and assignment by touching the “Yes” button.
You are now officially signed-in for your shift! Go get ‘em!
Note: The system will automatically sign you out and credit your account with the service hours. You will still need to check out with your shift Lead. And if you forget to sign-in before your shift, no problem—just fill out one of the time sheet forms available at the sign-in kiosk.
A few things to keep in mind
- Rain or shine, people come down in droves to visit ArtPrize during the short time period it is available. We count on our Wayfinders to assist them no matter what the weather! Be sure to dress appropriately for being outside for your entire shift, including umbrellas or raincoats if the skies look threatening.
- Unfortunately, children are not allowed to come along with their parents for their volunteer shifts. However, if your child is 18 years or older, they are invited to sign up for their own account and join you on your volunteer shifts. Be sure to coordinate your shifts together.
- There will always be a few snacks available for you in the Volunteer Lounge, so please help yourself any time before or after your shift! That said, we encourage you to be prepared for your shift and eat before you come.
Checking your service hours
If you’d like to check your current volunteer service hours, use the Sign-In Kiosk in the Volunteer Lounge.
- Enter your Volunteer PIN, then touch the “Continue” button.
- Confirm your name and touch the “Yes” button.
- When asked what you’d like to do, touch the “My Service History” button.
There you go! When you’re finished, just touch the “Exit” button to close your session.
First, let’s be clear: we know you’re not in this for the swag. But volunteering for ArtPrize is not without its perks. You give us a lot, and we’re happy to give a little back. You’ve earned it. And we like you.
Every Volunteer receives:
- A free Event Guide (includes map)
- A free ArtPrize Wristband (for free rides on the Rapid buses during ArtPrize)
- Access to the Volunteer Lounge at the ArtPrize HUB (free snacks and a place to chill out)
- Access to Volunteer-only events
- Daily raffle entry for free tickets to the ArtPrize Awards
Plus, you can earn even more!
- For completing your first three (3) shifts, earn a coupon for 25% off your entire purchase from the ArtPrize store
- For completing every three shifts after that (6, 9, 12, etc.), earn a coupon for 50% off one item from the ArtPrize store
- For completing four (4) Wayfinding shifts, earn a special gift (details TBA).
We can’t thank you enough for understanding ArtPrize, loving it, and giving so generously of your time to make this incredible event an experience to remember. Your smiles, energy, and enthusiasm fill us with gratitude and make us proud to be doing what we do. We hope you feel the same!
Orientation & Training
We’re committed to making sure you have everything you need to enjoy a great volunteer experience. That’s why every volunteer is REQUIRED to attend Orientation. If you don’t attend, you will not be able to volunteer.
Orientation is a one-hour training session during the week before ArtPrize. It’s held at several different times so that everyone can attend, including weekday, weeknight, and weekend options.
Additional training will be provided for voter registration and Volunteer Lead positions. All orientation meetings and training sessions are held at the ArtPrize HUB at 41 Sheldon Blvd.
Sign up for Orientation and training sessions the same way you would schedule a shift through the Volunteer Portal.
Download the PowerPoint presentation we provide during Volunteer Training.
This is your special corner of the ArtPrize HUB, pretty much like a secret base. Come check it out!
Volunteer Facebook Group
The ArtPrize Volunteer Facebook Group is a great place to get to know your fellow volunteers, share tips and stories, and stay up to date on the most recent ArtPrize news. This will also be a great place to find out about last-minute needs and other volunteer opportunities!
You will be provided with a vest, apron, or pin to wear during your shift.
Every Wayfinder is given a full kit of resources to help you answer any question a visitor may toss your way. In addition to a copy of the guidebook and map, we’ll provide you with maps of downtown restaurants, available restrooms, and other pertinent information to help you feel comfortable in your role, even if you’re not super familiar with downtown Grand Rapids when you first sign up. Answers to voting and event questions will also be provided to help you give consistent and complete answers. That said, if you’re still concerned about giving proper guidance, there are plenty of other opportunities to volunteer!
Don’t forget, one of the perks of being an ArtPrize Volunteer is free rides on the Rapid buses during ArtPrize! There are routes connecting the HUB and Exhibition Centers throughout the 3 mile ArtPrize district to help make getting to and from your shifts as easy as possible.
Want to do a little bit more? All of our shifts need a Volunteer Lead!
Volunteer Leads are:
- Willing to commit to five or more shifts on a specific team
- Willing to put in the time to become an “expert” on all things ArtPrize
- Super-duper friendly
- Comfortable giving direction
- Skilled with people
- Natural peacekeepers and peacemakers
- Well organized
- Not easily stressed
If this sounds like you, get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help prep and post all Volunteers working in the HUB. This important role will ensure that all of our HUB spaces are kept clean and filled with happy Volunteers and happy visitors!
Work with the Volunteer Team in the Lounge to prep and post our Wayfinders. During the shift you will wander the neighborhoods to check in on all your Volunteers and stay available as their point person.
Work with our retail staff in the official ArtPrize Store. This role will involve providing outstanding customer service, working on the cash register, helping price merchandise, and maintaining the cash wrap area. Previous experience in retail is recommended. Experience and comfort working with Mac OSX, iOS, inventory management software, and sales (including cash sales) are necessary. Extra training required.
Assist with the preparation and sale of coffee and light snacks at the ArtPrize HUB cafe. Experience and comfort working with iOS, Square, and cash sales are necessary. Extra training required.