Become a Volunteer
Anyone ages 18 and older can volunteer for ArtPrize! All you have to do is apply online using a valid email address before the end of Orientation. (You also have to be friendly and helpful and generally awesome, which—if you’re looking into volunteering—you clearly are. Congrats! You’re qualified!)
A Quick Note for Artists
If you’re participating in ArtPrize as an Artist, you can still sign up to volunteer! Many Artists volunteer every year, and we love to have Artists involved in welcoming visitors and encouraging participation. However, please keep in mind that it is very important that ArtPrize is in no way connected with the promotion of your Artwork. That means that when you are volunteering, you are a Volunteer only. Any promotion of your Artwork in the competition while volunteering will result in the termination of your participation with the Volunteer Team. Fair enough?
This is largely up to you. Some Volunteers want to help out all day every day (it really is that much fun), while others can only commit to volunteering for a few hours. Most will usually sign up for at least three shifts—because that's when the volunteer perks kick in. Whatever works for you, we’re happy to have you on the team!
As an ArtPrize Volunteer, there are just two minimum time requirements:
- Attend the one-hour Orientation
- Serve during at least one shift (each shift is typically about three hours long)
Pick an Orientation time and schedule your shifts through your Volunteer Account. (You'll receive your log-in information after your application has been processed.)
- Click here to fill out the online Volunteer Application form.
- Enter your name, email address, and other information and then click “Continue.”
- That's it!
When you’re approved, you’ll receive a confirmation email with a username and password for your Volunteer Account.
Group volunteering at ArtPrize is a blast. Serving as ArtPrize Wayfinders together, your team gets the most important task of welcoming visitors to ArtPrize and downtown Grand Rapids. Equipped with maps, tips, and visitor guides, you will join our “here to help” campaign: registering voters and giving suggestions and directions about how each visitor can have the MOST fun at ArtPrize. So grab your favorite people (work friends count too!) and get signed up today.
Signing up with your group is as easy as 1, 2, 3, 4!
1. Select a date and time from the wayfinding schedule below and shoot us an email (email@example.com) with your preferred shifts. We’d love to hear a little bit about your group and why you want to volunteer too!
2. We’ll send you a link to a custom website to share with your group. Each member of your group will need to create a personal volunteer account and then sign up for your shifts on this site. It's easy, you’ll see.
3. You will also need to schedule a Volunteer Orientation Session through your personal volunteer accounts. If you have 30 or more group members, we can even come to you if you’d like!
4. Join all the great fun at ArtPrize! Volunteering is a exceptional way to experience and support ArtPrize, your city and the vibrant arts community of Grand Rapids.
Group Wayfinding Schedule
September 20-October 8, 2017
Interested in learning more? Reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We're more than happy to talk to you about how your group can get involved together. We're here to make this process simple and fun!
There are all sorts of ways for generous, fun-loving people like you to get involved in the ArtPrize® excitement! Here’s a sample of what’s on the menu:
Welcome Crew and Wayfinders
Serve as an ArtPrize tour guide and ambassador of downtown Grand Rapids! You’ll be equipped with maps and other resources and assigned to a specific location in the ArtPrize District where you’ll welcome visitors, provide directions, answer questions, and promote activities and venues in your area. Must be willing and able to be on your feet for 3-hour shifts. All Wayfinders meet and leave from the Volunteer Lounge. This position is open to group volunteers.
One of the most important jobs during ArtPrize! Help visitors set up their voter registration accounts and complete the registration process. Working knowledge of computers is a must. Extra training required.
ArtPrize offers awesome volunteer opportunities through family events, activities, and school programs. Volunteer positions range from lead docents to facilitators in our drop-in art studio spaces. Some of these positions require a background check, and some additional training.
There are many different ways to get involved with our exhibits team at ArtPrize including public art installation/de-installations, artist events like Link Sessions, and helping as gallery guides in exhibit spaces.
Assist in the general set-up and execution of official ArtPrize events to help facilitate the best possible experience for everyone involved. With a few exceptions, these events are usually in the evenings and will require a commitment of 3 to 6 hours.
All of our shifts need a Volunteer Lead! Leads are responsible for sending out and placing Volunteers in their specific posts, checking in with all posts during the shift, and collecting any ArtPrize resources at the end of the shift. Extra training required. Learn more about Volunteer Leadership positions.
Interested in getting a little more involved this year? Each year our Volunteers help us welcome new volunteers to the team and assist staff in overseeing program operations throughout the event. Here are some of the ways you can get involved:
Retail Lead volunteers will be trained on the point of sale/inventory system and help run the HUB HQ Retail store. This includes ringing up customers, finding sizes for customers and maintaining the store making sure it's presentable and clean.
Join the ArtPrize Education Team to help oversee and facilitate educational activities that combine the power of the arts with technology, science, engineering, and math in our STEAM Village.
Education Lead Tour Guides
Starting at HUB HQ, Education Lead Tour Guides will lead guided tours with school groups around ArtPrize.
HUB HQ Volunteer Lounge Leads
HUB HQ Lead Volunteers will work with the Volunteer Program staff to oversee operations in the volunteer lounge at 41 Sheldon. This involves checking HUB volunteers into their shifts, answering any questions they might have, assisting with appreciation gift distribution, checking in with volunteers throughout their shifts, and other miscellaneous tasks as needed.
Main Volunteer Lounge Leads
Main Lead Volunteers will work with the Volunteer Program staff to oversee operations in the volunteer lounge. This involves checking volunteers in and out of their wayfinding shifts, answering any questions they might have, assisting with appreciation gift distribution, checking in with volunteers throughout their shifts, and other miscellaneous tasks as needed.
Neighborhood HUB Booth Leads
Our Neighborhood HUB Leads have the opportunity to be the friendly face of ArtPrize, welcoming our visitors, getting them set up to vote and then offering personal support to get the most out of their ArtPrize experience. This year, Leads will be stationed at either Rosa Parks Circle or have the opportunity to take out our new Mobile Pop Up HUB around downtown.
Volunteer Leads are:
- Willing to commit to five or more shifts on a specific team
- Willing to put in the time to become an “expert” on all things ArtPrize
- Super-duper friendly
- Comfortable giving direction
- Skilled with people
- Natural peacekeepers and peacemakers
- Not easily stressed
If this sounds like you, send us an email at email@example.com. We'll give you access to these leadership shifts on your volunteer account.
Volunteer Orientation and Resources
Orientation & Training
We’re committed to making sure you have everything you need to enjoy a great volunteer experience. That’s why every volunteer is REQUIRED to attend orientation. If you don’t attend, you will not be able to volunteer.
Orientation is a one-hour training session during the week before ArtPrize. It’s held at several different times so that everyone can attend, including weekday, weeknight, and weekend options. You can sign up for orientation and training sessions the same way you would schedule a shift through your Volunteer Account.
Additional training will be provided for voter registration and Volunteer Lead positions. All orientation meetings and training sessions are held at the ArtPrize HUB at 41 Sheldon Blvd.
Look for more information on Volunteer Orientation for ArtPrize Nine in the Summer of 2017
Volunteer Facebook Page
The ArtPrize Volunteer Facebook Page is a great place to get to know your fellow volunteers, share tips and stories, and stay up-to-date on the most recent ArtPrize news. This will also be a great place to find out about last-minute needs and other volunteer opportunities!
The ArtPrize volunteer handbook is full of information and resources to help you make the most of your volunteer shift! View the ArtPrize Eight Volunteer handbook here.
Every Wayfinder is given a full kit of resources to help you answer any question a visitor may toss your way. In addition to a copy of the guidebook and map, we’ll provide you with maps of downtown restaurants, available restrooms, and other pertinent information to help you feel comfortable in your role, even if you’re not super familiar with downtown Grand Rapids when you first sign up. Answers to voting and event questions will also be provided to help you give consistent and complete answers. That said, if you’re still concerned about giving proper guidance, there are plenty of other opportunities to volunteer!
First, let’s be clear: we know you’re not in this for the swag. But volunteering for ArtPrize is not without its perks. You give us a lot, and we’re happy to give a little back. You’ve earned it. And we like you.
Every Volunteer receives:
- A free Event Guide (includes map)
- A free ArtPrize Metro Card (for 10 free rides on the Rapid and unlimited use of the Silver Line during ArtPrize)
- Access to the Volunteer Lounge at the ArtPrize HUB (free snacks and a place to chill out)
- Access to Volunteer-only events
- Weekly raffles for prizes
Plus, you can earn even more!
- For completing your first three (3) shifts, earn a coupon for 25% off your entire purchase from the ArtPrize store
- For completing every three shifts after that (6, 9, 12, etc.), earn a coupon for 50% off one item from the ArtPrize store
- For completing five (5) shifts, earn your "Fifth Shift Gift"—a special gift created for our most dedicated volunteers each year
We can’t thank you enough for understanding ArtPrize, loving it, and giving so generously of your time to make this incredible event an experience to remember. Your smiles, energy, and enthusiasm fill us with gratitude and make us proud to be doing what we do. We hope you feel the same!
Your Volunteer account is brimming with important information for Volunteers, so it’s worth a few minutes to make yourself familiar. This is where you'll schedule volunteer shifts, find details about volunteer events, and personalize your Volunteer Profile with a photo of your smiling face.
Log in using the username and password you selected when you submitted your volunteer application. Don't worry if you forget your password—you can reset it from the sign in page.
Schedule Your Shifts
Volunteer shift sign-up will open for ArtPrize Nine on Friday, August 11th
Because your time is valuable, you get to choose the shifts that you want during the times that work best for your personal schedule! By using an online scheduling system through your Volunteer Account, we’re able to coordinate your schedule with the rest of the Volunteer Team and match your availability with all the ways you can help!
Sign up for shifts
- Sign in to your Volunteer Account and view all of the volunteer opportunities, which are organized chronologically
- Find your favorite shifts and click the “Sign Up” button beside a shift to add yourself to the schedule. You will get a confirmation email shortly after. Click the "Events" tab at the top of your screen to return to the calendar to sign up for more opportunities!
If you do not see the “Sign Up” button next to a shift, it means the shifts for that position on that specific day are full. Please look to another day or position for open shifts.
Once you’re on the schedule, you will be sent a schedule reminder 48 hours before your shift. Please note that, while you may change your schedule any time prior to this point, you may not change your shift after you have been sent this reminder.
Changing your schedule
You may change your schedule any time up until 48 hours before your shift starts. To change your shift, sign in to your Volunteer Account and follow these three steps:
- Click on the “My Schedule” tab to bring up your calendar.
- Find the shift you can no longer fill and click the "Cancel" button to the right of your screen
- Be sure to find another shift you’re interested in filling instead!
Check In for Your Shifts
Before each shift, all ArtPrize Volunteers need to check in.
- If you have a shift working at the HUB, you will need to check in at the Volunteer Lounge in the ArtPrize HUB at 41 Sheldon.
- If you have ANY OTHER shift, you will need to check in at the Volunteer Lounge at 200 Monroe. This is the main Volunteer Lounge where all Wayfinding volunteers will check in.
All registered ArtPrize Volunteers are listed alphabetically by last name in a binder available in either Volunteer Lounge, and there’s a unique PIN number beside each name. You don’t have to memorize this number or anything, but you’ll need your PIN to use the Sign-In Kiosk and check in.
Here’s how to use the Sign-In Kiosk:
- Select "existing user"
- Search for your account by typing in your name, username, or phone number
- Check for your name, then touch the "Continue" button
- Look for the correct shift, then touch the "Check In" button
You are now officially signed-in for your shift! Go get ‘em!
Note: The system will automatically sign you out and credit your account with the service hours. You will still need to check out with your shift Lead. And if you forget to sign-in before your shift, no problem—just let us know and we'll record your hours manually.
A few things to keep in mind
- You will be provided with a vest, apron, or pin to wear during your shift.
- Rain or shine, people come down in droves to visit ArtPrize during the short time period it is available. We count on our Wayfinders to assist them no matter what the weather! Be sure to dress appropriately for being outside for your entire shift, including umbrellas or raincoats if the skies look threatening.
- Unfortunately, children are not allowed to come along with their parents for their volunteer shifts. However, if your child is 18 years or older, they are invited to sign up for their own account and join you on your volunteer shifts. Be sure to coordinate your shifts together.
- There will always be a few snacks available for you in the Volunteer Lounge, so please help yourself any time before or after your shift! That said, we encourage you to be prepared for your shift and eat before you come.
Host an ArtPrize Artist!
ArtPrize attracts some of the world’s most amazing artists—many of whom make an enormous effort to bring their ideas to Grand Rapids. By opening your home, you can help an artist offset some costs associated with participating in ArtPrize—and make a new friend (or two) in the process.
Each year ArtPrize helps match out-of-town artists with volunteers offering free temporary housing. Many previous award winners—including Stacey Kirby, Beili Liu, Mia Tavonatti, Adonna Khare, Young Kim, and Anila Quayyum—were all hosted by volunteers.
Tips for Hosting an Artist
It is important to think through some of your expectations before signing up to host an ArtPrize artist. Use these questions as a guide to help you explain your preferences and the arrangements you’re willing to provide.
- How many people are you able to host comfortably in your home? What are the sleeping arrangements?
- How long are you willing to have someone stay with you?
- Do you have a preference on the gender or age of your visiting artist?
- Do you have pets? Would you be comfortable if the artist brought their pet(s)?
- Do you smoke? Are you open to hosting a smoker?
- How much time do you anticipate spending with your guest? Are you willing to share meals or a cooking space?
- Are you willing to share your bathroom or other common spaces with someone new?
- Do you have a computer that you are willing to share if needed? Can you provide access to WiFi?
- Are you willing to let the artist use your laundry room if needed?
- Are you comfortable giving the artist a key to your home? Would it be okay if your guest is up early, out late, or at your home while you are out?
- Would you be able to provide any transportation for your guest if necessary, or are you close to public transit? Is there room at your home for the artist to park if they bring their own car?
When you’re reviewing artists who have requested temporary housing and considering who to host, check out their website, Facebook page, Artist Profile on artprize.org, or even their Venue to get a better feel for what it might be like to have them stay with you.
We want you to have the best possible hosting experience. Feel free to reach out to several artists at once to give yourself options. Please remember that ArtPrize does not arrange any of the connections between artists and hosts, so make sure to reach out and invite an artist into your home.
Once you’re in conversation with an artist, it’s important to know when to say no. Address any concerns up front and if someone doesn’t feel like a good fit, just say so—they won’t be offended, and you’ll both be happier in the end.
If you agree to host an artist, and it becomes evident later that you’re not a good fit for each other, we strongly encourage you to be direct and ask the artist to find alternative housing for the duration of their stay.
Have questions? Please email our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.