Become a Volunteer
Volunteering at ArtPrize is the best way to experience one of the most exciting events in Michigan while supporting the vibrant arts culture of Grand Rapids. There are plenty of different opportunities to get involved in ArtPrize through volunteering with our visitor services team, our education team, at events, and more! Click here to fill out the online Volunteer Application form and view opportunities to engage listed below.
Anyone age 13 and older can volunteer for ArtPrize! All you have to do is apply online, sign up for shifts, and review all of the training materials before your shifts.
Volunteers under the age of 18 should be accompanied by an adult.
Volunteer sign up will officially open on August 3 through your online Volunteer Account. Until then, take a peek at the opportunities below:
Serve as an ArtPrize ambassador of downtown Grand Rapids. You'll be equipped with maps and resources, and assigned to a specific location in the ArtPrize District where you’ll welcome visitors, provide directions, answer questions and promote activities and venues in your area. As a Wayfinder, you must be willing and able to be on your feet for three-hour shifts.
Visitor Services Assistants
Located at Rosa Parks Circle, you'll be the friendly faces of ArtPrize, welcoming our visitors, getting them set up to vote and offering them support to get the most out of their ArtPrize experience.
As an Education Assistant, you'll help facilitate fun art-making activities during family and school events as well as in our drop-in space located at Rosa Parks Circle.
Get involved with our Exhibitions Team and help with public art installation/de-installations and artist events, or serve as a gallery attendant in exhibition spaces.
ArtPrize Event Assistants
Assist in the general set-up and execution of official ArtPrize events to help facilitate the best possible experience for everyone involved. With a few exceptions, these events are usually in the evenings and will require a commitment of 3 to 6 hours.
Interested in getting more involved this year? Join our Leadership Team and serve as mentors to new volunteers, providing guidance and welcoming them onto our team, as well as assisting our staff in overseeing program operations throughout the event.
As a part of our Leadership team, you will also have first access to volunteer shifts with our Education, Visitor Services and Volunteer Teams, including new positions overseeing the mobile pop up visitor services stations at Ah-Nab-Awen Park and special events.
Lead Volunteer applications will open on July 13th. Contact us at email@example.com for more information.
Volunteer Leads Are:
- Willing to commit to five or more shifts
- Willing to put in the time to become an “expert” on all things ArtPrize
- Willing to attend an additional leadership training
- Friendly, enthusiastic and flexible
- Natural peacekeepers and peacemakers
If this sounds like you, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Volunteering with friends and colleagues is the best way to experience ArtPrize. Your group will have the opportunity to help visitors sign up to vote, design their ArtPrize experience and explore hands-on educational activities - all in the heart of downtown Grand Rapids at the ArtPrize Visitor Pavilion.
Registration for Group Volunteering is open May 25-September 12.
Signing up is easy! Here’s how:
- Pick Your Date: Select a date and time from the schedule below and email us at email@example.com with your preferred shifts. We’d love to hear a little bit about your group and why you want to volunteer, too!
- Check Your Email: We’ll send you a link to a custom website to share with your group. Each member of your group will need to create a personal volunteer account and then sign up for shifts on this site.
- Get Trained: In August, we'll reconnect with your group about volunteer training and orientation. We have online training videos that make it easy to learn all about ArtPrize and what to expect when volunteering. We're also happy to provide an in-person training for groups of 20 or more. Join the great fun of volunteering at ArtPrize!
Group Volunteer Shifts Schedule
Volunteer shifts all take place during ArtPrize 10 (September 19-October 7, 2018).
- 10am - 12pm
- 12pm - 3pm
- 3pm - 6pm
Mondays - Saturdays
- 10am - 12pm
- 12pm - 3pm
- 3pm - 6pm
- 6pm - 8pm
Questions and hellos are always welcome! Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org anytime.
Volunteer Orientation and Resources
We want to help you make the most of your volunteer experience! Be sure to watch the videos below and review the highlighted blog posts below.
The ArtPrize Blog
The ArtPrize Basics
Planning Your Visit
How to Vote
Voter Registrar Training Video
S.O.R.T. Station Training Video
Find us on Facebook!
The ArtPrize Volunteer Facebook Group is a great place to get to know your fellow volunteers, share tips and stories, and stay up-to-date on the most recent ArtPrize news. This will also be a great place to find out about last-minute needs and other volunteer opportunities! You can also follow us on Facebook, here.
We know you’re not in this for the swag, but volunteering for ArtPrize has its perks. You give us a lot, and we’re happy to give a little back. You’ve earned it. And we like you.
Every Volunteer receives:
- A free ArtPrize Metro Card (for 10 free rides on the Rapid and unlimited use of the Silver Line during ArtPrize)
- Access to the Volunteer Lounge (free snacks and a place to chill out)
- Volunteer exclusive events
- Weekly raffles for prizes
Plus, you can earn even more!
- For completing your first 3 shifts, earn a coupon for 25% off your entire purchase from the online ArtPrize store
- For completing every 3 shifts after that (6, 9, 12, etc.), earn a coupon for 50% off one item from the online ArtPrize store
- For completing 5 shifts, , earn your "Fifth Shift Gift"—a special gift created for our most dedicated volunteers each year
ArtPrize 10 Volunteer Scholarship
The ArtPrize Volunteer Program, along with Lake Michigan Credit Union, is offering a $1,000 scholarship to a high school or college student. Sign up to volunteer and fill out an application today!
Applicants must be a current ArtPrize volunteer and enrolled or planning to enroll in college or university within 24 months. The winning applicant will be selected by the ArtPrize staff and a committee of 10 year volunteers. Selection criteria will be based on their responses to the questions listed on the application above and the number of hours volunteered.
Applications are due by September 28th. The winning applicant will be announced at the ArtPrize Volunteer Appreciation Party on Sunday, October 7th at 6pm at the Volunteer Lounge (169 Monroe Ave. NW) in downtown Grand Rapids.
Any questions can be directed to Volunteer and Visitor Engagement Manager, Katherine Hagman at email@example.com
We can’t thank you enough for understanding ArtPrize, loving it and giving so generously of your time to make this incredible event an experience to remember. Your smiles, energy and enthusiasm fill us with gratitude and make us proud to be doing what we do. We hope you feel the same!
Host an ArtPrize Artist!
ArtPrize attracts some of the world’s most amazing artists—many of whom make an enormous effort to bring their ideas to Grand Rapids. By opening your home, you can help an artist offset some costs associated with participating in ArtPrize and make a new friend (or two) in the process.
Each year ArtPrize helps match out-of-town artists with volunteers offering free temporary housing. Many previous award winners—including Stacey Kirby, Beili Liu, Mia Tavonatti, Adonna Khare, Young Kim, and Anila Quayyum—were all hosted by volunteers.
Tips for Hosting an Artist
It's important to think through some of your expectations before signing up to host an ArtPrize artist. Use these questions as a guide to help you explain your preferences and the arrangements you’re willing to provide.
- How many people are you able to host comfortably in your home? What are the sleeping arrangements?
- How long are you willing to have someone stay with you?
- Do you have a preference on the gender or age of your visiting artist?
- Do you have pets? Would you be comfortable if the artist brought their pet(s)?
- Do you smoke? Are you open to hosting a smoker?
- How much time do you anticipate spending with your guest? Are you willing to share meals or a cooking space?
- Are you willing to share your bathroom or other common spaces with someone new?
- Do you have a computer that you are willing to share if needed? Can you provide access to WiFi?
- Are you willing to let the artist use your laundry room if needed?
- Are you comfortable giving the artist a key to your home? Would it be okay if your guest is up early, out late, or at your home while you are out?
- Would you be able to provide any transportation for your guest if necessary, or are you close to public transit? Is there room at your home for the artist to park if they bring their own car?
When you’re reviewing artists who have requested temporary housing and considering who to host, check out their website, Facebook page, Artist Profile on artprize.org, or even their Venue to get a better feel for what it might be like to have them stay with you.
We want you to have the best possible hosting experience. Feel free to reach out to several artists at once to give yourself options. Please remember that ArtPrize does not arrange any of the connections between artists and hosts, so make sure to reach out and invite an artist into your home.
Once you’re in conversation with an artist, it’s important to know when to say no. Address any concerns up front and if someone doesn’t feel like a good fit, just say so—they won’t be offended, and you’ll both be happier in the end.
If you agree to host an artist, and it becomes evident later that you’re not a good fit for each other, we strongly encourage you to be direct and ask the artist to find alternative housing for the duration of their stay.
Have questions? Please email our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.