By Allison Palm, ArtPrize Education Coordinator
Photo by Christi Ziebarth (Lakeland Cardinal Collaborative), “Creation”
In partnership with Western Michigan University, ArtPrize 10 will hold the Youth Collaboration Award this fall to provide youth under the age of 18 the opportunity to participate in the competition. 20 school groups from across the Midwest, and even from Haiti, will be participating in the awards category, competing for two separate cash prizes: $2,500 awarded by public vote, and $2,500 awarded by jury.
“After the success of last year’s Youth Collaboration Award, we’re eager to see what students create for ArtPrize 10,” said Dawn Fortin Mattoon, associate provost of WMU Extended University Programs. “Helping to make an internationally recognized event accessible for students of all ages and giving them the opportunity to be creative and innovate together is something we value deeply.”
Schools and education-based nonprofits serving K-12 youth were invited to enter a collaborative piece created by at least two students under the age of 18. Each school group is under the guidance of an art educator or school-affiliated mentor.
Photo by Lori Reuben (Lincoln Development Center, Pine Grove Learning Center and Ken-O-Sha Elementary), “Spot of Color”
This year’s Youth Collaboration Award entries focus on an array of creative themes and span from elementary- to high school-aged students. Large-scale installations, 2-D collaborative paintings and 3-D sculptures are just a few of the mediums students created for the competition.
Photo by Molly Marshall (Byron Center Public Schools), "Reflecting Silhouettes"
Be sure to check out each of the entries during ArtPrize 10 and vote for your favorite to win the public vote!
Metro Grand Rapids
- Reflecting Silhouettes by Byron Center Public Schools
- Spot of Color by Lincoln Development Center, Pine Grove Learning Center and Ken-O-Sha Elementary
- ...And food justice for all by West Michigan Center for Arts and Technology
- What Are You Masking? by Arbor Circle
- More Than Words by Zeeland Public Schools
- We Honor You by Zeeland Creekside Middle School
- Curae Orbis Tellus by Rockford Public Schools Freshman Center
- Painted Plates of Hope by AnchorPoint Christian School
- City Stories: Reflections by Mosaic Film Experience
- Conversations in Art by Mona Shores High School
- Michigan's Living Treasure by Innocademy
- Create, Learn, Soar by Newaygo High School
- Masked by Ottawa County 20th Judicial Circuit Court Lighthouse girls treatment program
Mid and East Michigan
- Common Thread: A Tapestry of Courage by Auburn Elementary
- We Can All Light The World by Troy School District
- Dream World by Henry Ford Academy, School for Creative Studies
- Creation by Lakeland Cardinal Collaborative (Warsaw, Indiana)
- Wings by Forest Dale Elementary (Carmel, Indiana)
- Voices from Haiti by St. Alphonse School (Port au Prince, Haiti)