Each Pathway is a starting point. Stray from the Pathways often and explore beyond what is familiar. But you shouldn't need to stray too far: 90% of all ArtPrize Venues are within one block of a pathway.
This year, we curated four Pathways that highlight the character of each neighborhood, while keeping you connected with the Rapid’s new Silver Line. Each 2.4 miles long or less, all Pathways are fully accessible and will help you to explore more of the event and our city. Get complete Pathway maps in the 2014 Event Guide, free when you register to vote or pick up Wristbands to take the bus to and around downtown Grand Rapids.
Let’s explore Hillside
This 1.8 mile Pathway rises above the Grand River and holds some of the oldest, most architecturally interesting homes in Grand Rapids. Also along this route are two Showcase Venues: Women’s City Club and St. Cecilia’s Music Center.
Here are some highlights I found while mapping this route:
- Heritage Hill Association: Keep your eyes peeled for house markers from this historic preservation association founded in 1968.
- Medical Mile: This stretch of Michigan Avenue is home to world-class health care and beautiful architecture. Don’t miss a glance at the DeVos Children’s Hospital along your way.
- The ArtPrize HUB: Whether you are attending a Critical Discourse event, registering to vote, shopping for the latest merch, or asking for more info, the HUB is a great place for all things ArtPrize. You can also catch some fresh air in the Pop-Up Park outside the HUB.
- The Children’s Museum: ArtPrize is great for young and old. Don’t miss ArtFest the first weekend of ArtPrize.
- Park Congregational Church: Stop by the oldest public building in Grand Rapids on Park St.
- Public Transport: Numerous convenient DASH routes and the new Silver Line stops on Fulton near Jefferson and Michigan near Division will help you navigate in and out of the city.
The National Endowment for the Arts awarded ArtPrize an Our Town grant to help us keep ArtPrize active. Want to track your steps for ArtPrize? Download the MapMyWalk mobile app and search for ArtPrize as a friend. There you will find all of the walking paths right on your phone. So, enjoy being healthy and happy while learning about art.By Ashley Gremel on