What makes ArtPrize unique is not just the size of the grand prizes but the fact that there are two: one awarded by popular vote and one awarded by jury, which includes respected curators, critics, artists and museum directors who come from all over the nation to judge ArtPrize.
In addition to the two $200,000 grand prizes, $100,000 in category prizes are awarded -- half by popular vote and half by expert jury. Five $12,500 Category Awards -- four awarded to artists for outstanding work within their respective categories (2-D, 3-D, Time-Based and Installation) as well as one awarded to a venue for outstanding curatorial presentation -- are selected by jurors.
While the jurors for ArtPrize Nine haven’t been announced yet, take a look at the curators, artists, critics and museum directors who have participated in ArtPrize juries since 2010.
* Indicates a Grand Prize Jury member
- Steve Dietz: Founder, President, and Artistic Director of Northern Lights.mn; Minneapolis, MN
- Michelle Grabner*: Artist and professor at School of the Art Institute of Chicago
In addition to exhibiting widely, Grabner teaches, writes, curates (including the 2014 Whitney Biennial), and has founded exhibition spaces such as The Suburban and The Poor Farm.
- Paul Ha*: Director at the MIT List Visual Arts Center; Cambridge, MA
- Deana Haggag: President and CEO of United States Artists; Chicago, IL
Deana Haggag served as Juror for the Installation category. At the time, she was director of The Contemporary, a nomadic contemporary art institution in Baltimore. She’s now the President and CEO of United States Artists, which provides $50,000 unrestricted awards directly to artists.
- Omar Lopez-Chahoud: Independent Curator and Artistic Director of UNTITLED, ART, Miami Beach
- Tina Rivers Ryan: New York-based art historian and critic
- Eric Shiner*: Senior Vice President at Sotheby’s; New York, NY
- Yesomi Umolu: Exhibitions Curator at the Reva and David Logan Center for the Arts at the University of Chicago
- Dan Cameron*: Independent Curator and Founder of Prospect New Orleans
- Robin Cembalest: Editor, Art Critic, Social Media Strategist; New York, NY
- Lisa Freiman*: Director of Virginia Commonwealth University’s Institute for Contemporary Art; Richmond, VA
- Shari Frilot: Chief Curator, New Frontier @ Sundance, Senior Programmer, Sundance Film Festival; Los Angeles, CA
- Justine Ludwig: Director of Exhibitions / Senior Curator at Dallas Contemporary
- Steven Matijcio: Curator at the Contemporary Arts Center in Cincinnati, Ohio
- Michael Rakowitz*: Chicago-based Artist
- Sarah Urist Green: Indianapolis-based Curator, Creator and Host of The Art Assignment
- Leonardo Drew*: Brooklyn-based Artist
- Katharina Grosse*: Berlin-based Artist
- Shamim Momin: Director / Curator at Los Angeles Nomadic Division and Adjunct Curator for the Whitney Museum of American Art
- Tumelo Mosaka: Independent Curator; Princeton, NJ
- Andrew Russeth: Co-Executive Editor of ARTnews; New York, NY
- Ariel Saldivar: VP at Twyla.com; Dallas, TX
- Susan Sollins*: Executive Director of Art21
Susan Sollins was part of the Grand Prize Jury in 2014. The collaboration between ArtPrize and Art21 included a premiere screening of Art21 Season 7. Sollins founded Independent Curators International, then founded and directed Art21 until her death in 2014.
- Hrag Vartanian: Editor-in-Chief and Co-Founder of Hyperallergic
- Rashida Bumbray: Director of Artistic Affairs at Duke Ellington School of the Arts; Washington, DC
- Mel Chin*: Artist and activist; Burnsville, NC
Mel Chin was part of the Grand Prize Jury in 2013. Chin is a conceptual artist whose work uses a broad variety of approaches to address politics, the environment, and other complex issues.
- Eva Franch I Gilabert: Executive Director and Curator of the Storefront for Art and Architecture; New York, NY
- Alice Gray Stites: Chief Curator at 21c Museum Hotels; Louisville, KY
- Hesse McGraw: Vice President for Exhibitions and Public Programs at San Francisco Art Institute
- Anne Pasternak*: Shelby White and Leon Levy Director of the Brooklyn Museum, former director Creative Time
- Manon Slome*: President and Chief Curator of No Longer Empty; New York, NY
- John Yau: Hyperallergic Weekend; New York, NY
- Tom Eccles*: Director of the Center for Curatorial Studies at Bard College; Annandale-on-Hudson, NY
- Cathy Edwards: Executive Director at New England Foundation for the Arts; Boston, MA
- Theaster Gates*: Artist and Founder of the Rebuild Foundation; Chicago, IL
Theaster Gates came to ArtPrize in 2012 as part of the Grand Prize Jury. Gates is a social practice and installation artist. In addition to major exhibitions, he has has spearheaded artist-led ethical development in Chicago through the Rebuild Foundation and the Stony Island Arts Bank.
- Lisa Freiman: Director of Virginia Commonwealth University’s Institute for Contemporary Art; Richmond, VA
- Tyler Green: Producer and Host at Modern Art Notes Podcast, Columnist at Modern Painters
- Jerry Saltz*: Senior Art Critic at New York Magazine; New York, NY
Jerry Saltz has visited ArtPrize three times. In 2012 he served on the Grand Prize Jury, and he returned in 2013 and 2016 to speak on the televised Critical Discourse program. Saltz has been nominated for the Pulitzer Prize in criticism three times, and serves as a visiting critic at The School of Visual Arts, Columbia University, Yale University, and The School of the Art Institute of Chicago.
- Susan Szenasy: Editor-in-Chief at Metropolis; New York, NY
- Nuit Banai: Professor of Contemporary Art in the Department of Art History at the University of Vienna; Wein, Austria
- Anne Ellegood: Senior Curator at Hammer Museum; Los Angeles, CA
Ellegood came to ArtPrize 2011 to serve as the 2-D juror. Before the Hammer, she was Curator of Contemporary Art at the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden in Washington DC. Along with Erin Christovale, she’s currently curating the Hammer Museum’s 2018 Made in L.A. Biennial.
- Kathleen Forde: Artistic Director at Borusan Contemporary; Istanbul, Turkey
- Glenn Harper: Editor-in-chief at Sculpture; Washington, DC
- Reed Kroloff: Director of the Cranbrook Academy of Art and Art Museum; Bloomfield Hills, MI
- Susan Lyons: Founding Principal of Susan Lyons Studio LLC; New York, NY
- Judith Barry: Director of the Master of Fine Arts program in Visual Arts at Lesley University College of Art and Design; Boston, MA
- Xenia Kalpaktsoglou: Curator, one third of the curatorial trio XYZ and co-director of the Athens Biennale
- Patricia Phillips: Dean of Graduate Studies at Rhode Island School of Design; Providence, RI
- Jeff Speck: City Planner and Architectural Designer, former Director of Design at National Endowment for the Arts; Brookline, MA