Welcome to your ArtPrize Newsletter. The ArtPrize Newsletter exists to keep you in the loop — delivering the ArtPrize scoop to your inbox during Preview Week and throughout 19-day event. It's a one-stop info package, offering a concise overview of what to look forward to during the week and weekend, and handy tips to help you make the most of your visit.
What Can I Do This Weekend? (Sept. 28-30)
Round 1 Voting Closes Tomorrow, Sept. 29 @ Midnight
Cast. Your. Votes.
What entries do you think should move on to the finalist round? Get your votes in by midnight tomorrow. Then, join us on Sunday for the Public Vote Final 20 Announcement live at Rosa Parks Circle, during which Consumers Energy will be announcing the 2018 ArtPrize SmartArt competition winners, and we’ll reveal the winners of this year’s Independently Organized Awards.
Below are a few more events happening this weekend you won't want to miss:
- Experience two days and nights of free musical entertainment on the Blue Bridge, thanks to HopCat and WYCE.
- Join us for a dynamic conversation with important women business and community leaders about the crucial importance of STEAM education.
- Do you CraveArt? Us too. Indulge with us at a culinary experience unlike any other.
- Tell us about your ArtPrize 10 experience — your feedback is invaluable.
Find more events + happenings on our free mobile app and at artprize.org/events.
What’s the Latest News?
- The category jurors’ picks are in—check out their favorite entries and venues.
- Reflect on the first full week of ArtPrize 10.
- ArtPrize 2009 winner, Ran Ortner, returns to ArtPrize as a Grand Prize Juror.
- Need ArtPrize gear? See what the ArtPrize pop-up shop at 111 Lyon has in stock.
- Check out why ArtPrize at night is a must-see experience.
- Love live music? Enjoy a free concert, with sounds by The Grand Rapids Symphony.
Photo: "Transcendence" by Chris Callor
How Can Kids Get Involved?
Calling all kid artists! ArtPrize offers an array of FREE activities for families and kids of all ages to participate in.
- Join our friends from Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park at the Visitor Pavilion for a Family Sculpture Lab event.
- Get creative with Samaritas’ rock painting party.
- Enjoy a free ice cream float at the Ferris Coffee + Hudsonville Ice Cream Family Event.
- Get creative in the TinkerLab and enjoy creative challenges inspired by past ArtPrize winners at the ArtPrize STEAM Lab, powered by Switch.
- Explore ArtPrize and our city on a Family ArtPrize GO Scavenger Hunt.
- Test your art skills and collect the complete series of ArtPrize Discovery Deck post cards!
- Encourage conversations, connections and reflections during your art-filled journey.
- Check out our Family Experience Guide, created in partnership with GRKids.
What's Everyone Sharing?
ArtPrize is all about exploring new perspectives, creating lasting memories and enjoying captivating art. Show us what pieces move you, strike you as unique or are just visually appealing by tagging your photos with #ArtPrize10. We’re ready to share the ArtPrize visitor experience one picture at a time!
Above is a snapshot of ArtPrize 10, shot by these Instagrammers:
Top Row: (1) @dssentials_ (2) @monosmenosmanos (3) @aubreyroemer
Bottom Row: (1) @transcendence.artprize (2) @daniyoungartistry (3) @riansayre
How Can I Support ArtPrize?
ArtPrize is a nonprofit organization. Your support helps the event thrive year-over-year, elevating the artists, venues and educators that create a world-class exhibition and generate learning opportunities for all.
Below are a couple ways you can support ArtPrize this fall and year-round:
- Donate: Help someone else create an unforgettable experience at ArtPrize and build memories to last a lifetime. Your gift, no matter the size, combined with the gifts of hundreds of other supporters will help artists realize ambitious projects, make it possible for thousands of students to explore contemporary art, and so much more.
- Buy Merch: Stop by the ArtPrize Pop-Up Shop at 111 Lyon St NW or your local Meijer Store to pick up ArtPrize 10 merchandise, including commemorative clothing, pint glasses and mugs, a limited edition pillow, and more. You can also shop many items online.
- Volunteer: Join the nearly 1,000 volunteers who step forward to welcome hundreds of thousands of visitors to ArtPrize each fall. We couldn't do it without you.
- Share Your Story: What’s your favorite memory from the event? Is there a piece of artwork that’s moved you, challenged you, brought you to tears? How do you think ArtPrize has changed our community? How has your relationship with art changed since visiting the event? Help us celebrate 10 years of ArtPrize—share your story.
Photo: "108 Death Masks: A Communal Prayer for Peace and Justice" by Nikesha Breeze
Thank You Sponsors
Support from our corporate sponsors represented our largest source of revenue in 2017, accounting for 58% of ArtPrize’s $3.5 million operating budget. This support, combined with individual giving, retail sales and more makes ArtPrize possible each year.By Alee'a Ulsh-Cherry on