Welcome to your ArtPrize Newsletter. The ArtPrize Newsletter exists to keep you in the loop — delivering the ArtPrize scoop to your inbox during Preview Week and throughout 19-day event. It's a one-stop info package, offering a concise overview of what to look forward to during the week and weekend, and handy tips to help you make the most of your visit.
What Can I Do This Week (Sept. 19-21)?
ArtPrize 10 officially opens TODAY! Over the next 19 days, discover something new, visit as many ArtPrize venues as possible, attend events at our new Visitor Pavilion at Rosa Parks Circle, and participate in a variety of free activities around town. Trust us, there's something for everyone.
- Start voting for your favorite entries at Noon today—Round 1 runs through Sat., Sept. 29 at Midnight.
- Join us in celebrating the kick off of ArtPrize 10 at 7:00 pm at Rosa Parks Circle.
- Catch a free film screening through ArtPrize On Screen, produced by Studio C and presented by the Michigan Film & Digital Media Office.
- Experience the power of art + movement with ArtPrize+ Yoga @ WestSide ArtWalk, sponsored by Amway and Spectrum Health, and hosted by Funky Buddha Yoga Hothouse.
- Celebrate our diverse community at the African American Art & Music Festival.
- Dive into the relationship of art + tech with OST.
What's the Latest News?
- Ryan Swanson shares the secret behind his out-of-this-world installation.
- Gustavo Prado installs a sea of mirrors alongside La Grand Vitesse.
- Find out more about the official ArtPrize 10 beer, Trigo.
- This ArtPrize entry is smashing stereotypes of disability.
- See which 10 artists are featured at the GRAM.
- Find the perfect places to park during ArtPrize
- See what eye-catching art students are entering for the 2018 Youth Collaboration Award.
Photo: The Visitor Pavilion at Rosa Parks Circle comes together with a saddle span tent and reimagined shipping containers.
How Can Kids Get Involved?
Calling all kid artists! ArtPrize offers an array of FREE activities for families and kids of all ages to participate in.
- Get creative in the TinkerLab and enjoy creative challenges inspired by past ArtPrize winners at the ArtPrize STEAM Lab, powered by Switch.
- Bring your family and explore the city of Grand Rapids by registering for an ArtPrize GO Scavenger Hunt.
- Enjoy pop-up art making activities with repurposed materials by catching the ArtPrize Mobile Workshop.
Happening This Week:
- Join the John Ball Zoo at Rosa Parks Circle for an interactive family event featuring fun animal visitors! Hands-on activities and experiences will be happening throughout the day.
- Artists Creating Together welcomes youth and families to the Downtown Market for an impactful and unique creative experience known as Hungry for Art.
- Decorate to make a difference! Kids’ Food Basket Bag Coloring is a fun way to let your creativity thrive while adding adding a touch of love to sack suppers served to children in need.
Photo: Ryan Swanson installing "Oscillation" at the Gillette Bridge.
What's Everyone Sharing?
ArtPrize is all about exploring new perspectives, creating lasting memories and enjoying captivating art. Show us what pieces move you, strike you as unique or are just visually appealing by tagging your photos with #ArtPrize10. We’re ready to share the ArtPrize visitor experience one picture at a time!
Above is a snapshot of ArtPrize 10, shot by these Instagrammers:
- Top Row: (1) @creativemetaphors (2) @nicolemrauch (3) @cityflatshotel
- Bottom Row: (1) @megsmarie_ (2) @ridetherapid (3) @theurbanconga
How Can I Support ArtPrize?
Below are a couple ways you can support ArtPrize this fall and year-round:
- Donate: Help someone else create an unforgettable experience at ArtPrize and build memories to last a lifetime. Your gift, no matter the size, combined with the gifts of hundreds of other supporters will help artists realize ambitious projects, make it possible for thousands of students to explore contemporary art, and so much more.
- Buy Merch: Stop by the ArtPrize Pop-Up Shop at 111 Lyon St NW or your local Meijer Store to pick up ArtPrize 10 merchandise, including commemorative clothing, pint glasses and mugs, a limited edition pillow, and more. You can also shop many items online.
- Volunteer: Join the nearly 1,000 volunteers who step forward to welcome hundreds of thousands of visitors to ArtPrize each fall. We couldn't do it without you.
- Share Your Story: What’s your favorite memory from the event? Is there a piece of artwork that’s moved you, challenged you, brought you to tears? How do you think ArtPrize has changed our community? How has your relationship with art changed since visiting the event? Help us celebrate 10 years of ArtPrize—share your story.
Photo: Brian Lacey intalling his shipping container mural at Calder Plaza.
Thank You Sponsors
Support from our corporate sponsors represented our largest source of revenue in 2017, accounting for 58% of ArtPrize’s $3.5 million operating budget. This support, combined with individual giving, retail sales and more makes ArtPrize possible each year.By Alee'a Ulsh-Cherry on