March 11-14 | Michigan House @ SXSW
Michigan House, a travelling Michigan-wide collaboration spearheaded by Creative Many Michigan, is headed to Austin, TX this week for its third iteration at SXSW -- this time as a presenter of official programming. We’re thrilled to be among the organizations working with their team to create a living, breathing experience promoting the power of the arts, creativity and design in Michigan -- and pushing our state’s stories into the national spotlight.
With six panel discussions, a concert at an Austin hot spot headlined by Michigan musicians, and new partnerships highlighting the importance of statewide collaboration -- all happening right in the heart of downtown Austin -- March 11-14 are going to be amazing, and we’re writing today to tell you how you can tune into the action.
Join Us in Austin!
If you’re in the area, be sure to stop by Michigan House and say hi -- stay for a panel discussion (check out the lineup below), a cocktail, or to hear Michigan bands perform live.
WHERE: 700 Trinity St, Austin, TX 78701
WHEN: March 11-14, 2017
Learn more at michiganhouse.org.
Follow ArtPrize on Social
Can’t make it to Austin? Not to worry -- we’ve got you covered. Follow ArtPrize on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat (artprizegr) to see the official panel discussions, live music performances and behind the scenes action from the comfort of home, a cozy coffee shop, or even your office (we won’t judge).
Watch the #MichiganHouse Panel Discussions Live
The Michigan House team has an ambitious lineup of panel discussions planned for Saturday, March 11, as partners from across the state will share their stories about this multi-faceted place that defies Rust Belt expectations. Below is the day’s schedule. Be sure to join us on Facebook as we’ll be streaming them all live from #MichiganHouse.
Note: All times listed below are Central Time.
- 9:30a: Michigan Modern: Design that Shaped America | Explore Michigan’s design legacy, and our state's history as a place where creativity is celebrated and ideas are put into production.
- 11:00a: Clogging the Drain: Creative Industry’s Role in Talent Attraction | Examine the way one Midwestern community is using creativity, design and collaboration between businesses, government, educators and cultural organizations to turn its talent deficit around.
- 12:30p: Innovations in Cultural Tourism | Look at how the state of Michigan has turned to the creative industries and heritage to attract visitors from around the world. (Our very own Jori Bennett will be sitting on this panel!)
- 2:00p: The Creative Difference: Teaching Creativity, Breeding Innovation | Take a look at organizations seeking to teach creativity and examine how collaboration with Michigan’s creative industries has helped them prepare students for a world that requires problem solvers and innovators.
- 3:30p: Why the Rustbelt: IoT in the Midwest | Explore the ways in which the Midwest’s heritage and infrastructure present a unique opportunity within an ever more connected world -- transporting attendees into the world of self-driving cars and smart cities, and revealing how the forgotten “Rust Belt” could hold the key.
- 5:00p: Making a Place for Equity | Hear about the strategies employed by Michigan’s communities to build an inclusive future that encourages opportunity for all.
Additionally on March 12, Grand Rapids Mayor Rosalynn Bliss and Austin Mayor Steve Alder will host a conversation about the affordable housing crisis affecting so many cities across the country. They'll be joined by experts in the field, including Darel Ross of Start Garden and David Stein Wedell of the Urban Land Institute in Austin. Watch the conversation, and contribute your questions, live on the ArtPrize Facebook page starting at 1:30p CT.
Don’t Miss the Michigan House Music Showcase
Musicians heading to Austin from Michigan will find a home-away-from-home at Michigan House, including a healthy dose of midwestern hospitality, with food and drink imported from Michigan, and a space to relax and network.
On March 14, five bands -- selected from an open call to Michigan musicians -- will each lend their unique sound and style to the Michigan House Music Showcase and Founders Tap Takeover at Stay Gold. The featured bands include:
- The Go Rounds, Kalamazoo
- Flint Eastwood, Detroit
- Michigander, Midland
- ONEFREQ, Detroit
- Stef Chura, Detroit
We’ll be featuring their sets Live on Facebook starting from 7p CT and heading into the wee hours of the morning. Each band will premiere a new song at the showcase, which will be entered in ArtPrize Nine this fall.
ArtPrize Nine Artist + Venue Registration
Thinking about entering your work? Artist registration for the ninth annual event is just around the corner -- running from April 17 to June 8. Get more info at artprize.org/for-artists and don't hesitate to send us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.By Jaenell Woods on