Welcome to your ArtPrize Daily. The ArtPrize Daily exists to keep you in the loop — delivering the ArtPrize scoop to your inbox every morning during Preview Week and the 19-day event. It's a one-stop info package, offering a concise recap of the previous day's events, a look forward to the day ahead, and handy tips to help you make the most of your visit.
What's Happening Today at ArtPrize?
'Two-Way Protocols' by Zane Miller at The Fed Galleries @ KCAD, Kendall College of Art & Design (Juried Award Finalist)
SEPTEMBER 26: ARTPRIZE STUDIO SERIES — START GARDEN 5X5 EVENT
ArtPrize Studio @ HUB/HQ | 5 p.m. EDT
'5x5 Night Hits The Road Tour' continues in 2017 with September's event at the ArtPrize Studio. Five creators will pitch their ideas for a chance to win $5,000 — no strings attached. The event host organizes a selection committee to decide which five ideas will be presented. Visitors to the website vote on ideas they would like the host committee to select. The selected presenters explain a $5,000 step that will move the idea forward. Part two of the night takes place at the reception, where the winner will be announced. Have a glass of wine, talk about ideas and network!
ON DECK TODAY
- ArtPrize Tours — Not quite sure where to start, or looking for a fresh new perspective on the annual event? Take a tour of ArtPrize Nine and our city with us! The ArtPrize Nine tour, produced by the ArtPrize team, has been specifically designed to draw your attention not only to artwork that is entered into the 2017 event, but also iconic artworks that are permanent to the city of Grand Rapids.
- Sashiko Patching Workshop with Littlewings Designs — Come on out during ArtPrize for a night of gathering, fun, and new skills, and learn to patch your favorite clothes! Bring 1-3 pieces of clothing to patch, Parliament the Boutique will provide the rest. Elyse Marie Welcher of Littlewingsdesigns will lead this class, where you will learn to patch garments using the traditional Sashiko patching method.
- ArtPrize Labs @ Lions & Rabbits - Swing Dancing — Come learn the beginner’s basics from 3pm-4pm with our in-house Swing Dance crew. From 4pm-5pm enjoy open swing or just sit back and watch the professionals!
- Vizions Dance Performance — Head to Cultura Collaborative at Rumsey Street, one of the ArtPrize Nine venues on the Outstanding Venue Juried Award shortlist, for a Vizions Dance Performance! You won't want to miss their stunning solo and collaborative dances.
- Meet Artist Nicole Nigh Hondros — Take a tour of Words of Revolver! Nicole Nigh Hondros will be greeting guests, sharing stories, and answering questions at the JW Marriott near her Words of Revolver artwork, a pen and ink interpretation of the Beatles Revolver album cover made up entirely of the album's lyrics.
NEXT MILESTONE EVENT:
The Jurors' Shortlist has been announced, and now we are left to find out which 20 entries will wow visitors and secure a place alongside the category jurors nominees as a finalist. Make sure to keep casting your votes — Round 1 Voting presented by Meijer runs through September 30 at 11:59 p.m. EDT — and then don't miss the Public Vote Final 20 Announcement on October 1. Join us at Rosa Parks Circle starting at 1 p.m.
Featured Upcoming Events:
'ENMESH' by Leroi DeRubertis at Grand Rapids Art Museum
SEPTEMBER 27: ARTPRIZE STUDIO SERIES — PROSPECT NEW ORLEANS
ArtPrize Studio @ HUB/HQ | 7 p.m. EDT
Brooke Anderson, Museum Director at Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, will take to the ArtPrize Studio stage to share the origins of Prospect New Orleans, the largest triennial of contemporary art in the U.S. — where she served as Executive Director for four years. Under her leadership, Prospect New Orleans shifted from a biennial to a triennial, and she oversaw the development of Prospect.3 in 2015, which was met with critical acclaim and was seen by nearly 100,000 people. In her ArtPrize keynote address, Anderson will explore how partnerships and collaborations established and encouraged the triennial’s audience.
SEPTEMBER 28: ARTPRIZE STUDIO SERIES — SMART CITIES PANEL
ArtPrize Studio @ HUB/HQ | 7 p.m. EDT
As part of the hands-on education activities and programming in the STEAM Village, a lively discussion with leaders in the Smart Cities movement will take the stage — highlighting what it means to be a truly “Smart City” and how art, design, technology and innovation are impacting innovation in cities like Grand Rapids and beyond. Panelists include Kristi Overgaard, Switch Chief Awesomeness Officer (CAO); Patti Poppe, Consumers Energy CEO; Mike Morin, Start Garden CEO; and Brian Seth Hurst, a Virtual Reality thought leader and innovator.
SEPTEMBER 29-30: HOPCAT WYCE BLUE BRIDGE MUSIC FESTIVAL
Blue Bridge | Fri. 4p-11p | Sat. Noon-11p
The second annual ‘HopCat WYCE Blue Bridge Music Festival’ brings the energy of live performance to the ArtPrize night scene. The Blue Bridge—organized by Quinn Matthews, Station Manager WYCE 88.1FM — will once again play host to all things music at ArtPrize Nine. Held September 29 and 30, the festival promises two epic days and nights of FREE musical entertainment featuring musicians and bands from across the country — competing for the ‘ArtPrize Song of the Year’ award.
#ArtPrize9 Images of the Day:
ArtPrize Nine is underway and all 1,346 entries are picture perfect ready! Above is a snapshot of the work that has contributed to the transformation of Grand Rapids — shot by these Instagrammers:
- Top Row: (1) @jennverstraete12 (2) @crownmotorsmi (3) @joeldanielphillips
- Bottom Row: (1) @bryanesler (2) @zahrahrah (3) @that_shaylove
Interested in the chance to be featured? Share your ArtPrize Nine experience on Instagram with our official hashtag — #ArtPrize9. Simple as that!
Yesterday at ArtPrize:
Yesterday, in front of a live, vivacious studio audience broadcasted by NBC affiliate WOOD TV8, the ArtPrize Nine Category Jurors revealed their shortlists from among the 1,346 eligible entries. Whether you snagged a seat in our HUB/HQ Theater (which was packed!) or watched live on WOOD TV8, we hope you enjoyed the show!
Our lovely category award jurors announced their respective shortlists within the following artist entry categories: 2-D, 3-D, Time-Based and Installation. A fifth category award juror revealed his top picks for the Outstanding Venue juried award, given to one venue for excellence in curatorial presentation. And you're going to want to see them all, because new this year, you get to vote on the jurors' picks in Round 2 in addition to your own! The 20 artist entries will join the 20 Public Vote finalists, to be announced on October 1, to form a pool of up to 40 finalists in Round 2.
The tension was high as each juror announced the top five entries in their respective categories, one by one. But, the suspense is over! Nearly all of artwork featured in today's Daily has been nominated to ArtPrize NIne Jurors' Shortlist (marked with 'Juried Award Finalist), but it's just a taste of the 20 entries and 5 venues! See the rest on our Facebook page!
Cultura Collective at Rumsey Street (Juried Award Finalist)
'Bloodline' by Holly Wilson at Monroe Community Church (Juried Award Finalist)
'El Sueño Americano (The American Dream)' by Tom Kiefer at DeVos Place (Juried Award Finalist)
Now that you know what entries to look out for, be sure to take the time to truly understand each piece from all perspectives. Check out Neurocore's blog post, How to ArtPrize Mindfully, to learn tips and tricks on how to view art in a more mindful manner, allowing you to get more out of ArtPrize!
Earlier in the day yesterday, as we were walking through the Grand Rapids Public Museum, we couldn't help but stop to see what a group of aspiring artists was creating! As part of the ArtPrize Education Days program, Edible Art, kids were are able to make their own edible graffiti tiles that will be joined together to form a large community piece. Led by ArtPrize Nine artist, Shelley Miller, they were also able to learn about her art-making process and the reason why she uses edible materials.
We didn't have to travel far to see more art in motion! ArtPrize goers were having fun connecting with and exploring entries installed out in front of the Grand Rapids Public Museum yesterday afternoon.
'Sticks and Stones Walk' by Home Eleven at Grand Rapids Public Museum
'Laborer' by Mike Wsol at Grand Rapids Public Museum (Juried Award Finalist)
For Kids of All Ages:
'Ecliptic' by Maya Lin at Rosa Parks Circle (permanent to the city)
Calling all artists! ArtPrize offers an array of FREE activities for families and kids of all ages to participate in. ArtPrize Labs provides hands-on activities and creative experimenting through daily and drop-in activities, events, and programs produced by leading cultural organizations. ArtPrize Labs is sponsored by Grand Valley State University, Herman Miller Cares, and Switch.
- ArtPrize Studio — Unleash your creative spirit and stop by the ArtPrize Labs Studio at the HUB/HQ for creative activities that are fun for all ages. Open daily from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. through October 8.
- STEAM Village Learning Lab — Art meets technology at the 2017 iteration of STEAM Village — where schools and visitors of all ages are invited to drop by our unique learning lab experience. Powered by Switch, the STEAM Village hosts a variety of activities including experimenting with robots, drawing with 3D pens, experiencing virtual reality and more! The STEAM Village Lab is open from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. through October 8.
- ArtPrize Labs Mobile Workshop — Stop by Rosa Parks Circle from 3-7 p.m. to check out the ArtPrize Labs Mobile Workshop sponsored by Herman Miller Cares, and participate in creating pop-up art-making activities with repurposed materials.
With so many amazing things happening during the ninth annual event, see who's talking about ArtPrize and what they said:
- Local Artists Compete at ArtPrize in Grand Rapids (MLive)
- ArtPrize 2017 could be the warmest on-record (WZZM 13)
- In brief (The Herald-Palladium)
- ArtPrize artist: ‘We’re always on the move’ (WOOD TV8)
- Godwin Heights Students enter Youth Category of ArtPrize (WZZM13)
- 10 family-friendly ArtPrize Nine exhibits and activities (wotv4women)
- ArtPrize 2017: Metro Detroit artists shine at massive competition in Grand Rapids (Detroit Free Press)
- ArtPrize exhibit finally on display after being destroyed in crash (MLive)
'Bushcraft... Radical Stimulus' by Jessica Wildman at Grand Rapids Art Museum (Juried Award Finalist)
ArtPrize is a nonprofit organization. Your support helps the event thrive year-over-year, elevating the artists, venues and educators that create a world-class exhibition and generate learning opportunities for all.
Below are a couple ways you can support ArtPrize this fall and year-round:
- Membership: Join our ArtClub membership program and get insider access to the event as well as perks year-round, or become an ArtFan to provide support for critical ArtPrize programs that serve the social good.
- Retail Sales: Stop by the ArtPrize HUB/HQ or your local Meijer Store to pick up ArtPrize Nine merchandise, including commemorative clothing, pint glasses and mugs, the inaugural ArtPrize Magazine 'Public Notice,' and more. You can also shop many items online.
- Volunteering: Join the nearly 1,000 volunteers who step forward to welcome hundreds of thousands of visitors to ArtPrize each fall. We couldn't do it without you.
Thanks to Our Sponsors:
Support from our corporate sponsors represented our largest source of revenue in 2016, accounting for 56% of ArtPrize’s $3.6 million operating budget. This support, combined with individual membership, retail sales and more makes ArtPrize possible each year.Media on