Welcome to your ArtPrize Daily. The ArtPrize Daily exists to keep you in the loop — delivering the ArtPrize scoop to your inbox every morning during Preview Week and the 19-day event. It's a one-stop info package, offering a concise recap on the previous day's events, a look forward to the day ahead, and handy tips to help you make the most of your visit.
What's Happening Today at ArtPrize?
ARTPRIZE PREVIEW WEEK: SEPTEMBER 13-19
ArtPrize Nine artists are continuing to install their work, and there are many exciting events and activities yet to happen during ArtPrize Preview Week. Through September 19, explore events and happenings around the city at the many participating ArtPrize Nine Venues, ahead of the crowds. Check out what's on deck for this gorgeous Monday in Grand Rapids.
ON DECK TODAY:
- Artist Meet and Greet at Gallery Divani — Meet local artist Nancy Rosart during an informal discussion of her ArtPrize entries at Gallery Divani during ArtPrize Nine Preview Week.
- Meet Artist Nathaniel Yenger — Come to Gallery Divani to meet Artist Nathaniel Yenger and discuss the motivation behind his ArtPrize entry. Attendees will receive free admission to the event and a $5 credit towards an entree of your choice. Limitations may apply.
- Observe Portrait Sketch — Grand Valley Artists, Inc. invites you to observe their members drawing a live model portrait session.
- Cerasus Studio: ArtPrize Nine Exhibition Open — Stop by Cerasus Studio to see their ArtPrize Nine exhibition ahead of the crowds during Preview Week.
NEXT MILESTONE EVENT:
Did you know those who cast at least one vote during the event have nearly a 50% better experience than those who don't? True story! The ArtPrize Nine Public Vote — presented by Meijer — opens at noon on September 20 and will remain open until September 30 at 11:59 p.m. All 1,346 entries are eligible during Round 1 Voting, so download the ArtPrize mobile app and start previewing the amazing collection of entries for the ninth annual event!
#ArtPrize9 Images of the Day:
Over the last few weeks, ArtPrize Nine artists have been busy installing their work across 175 venues throughout Grand Rapids, getting ready to share their work with you. We're already loving the images you're posting from across the ArtPrize district! In each ArtPrize Daily, we'll be featuring a few of our favorites. The ArtPrize Nine images above come from these Instagrammers:
- Top Row: (1) @renadetrixhe (2) @bradjandrus (3) @oropezadaniel
- Bottom Row: (1) @zahrahrah (2) @erinshuffett (3) @shopnueve
Interested in the chance to be featured? Share your ArtPrize Nine experience on Instagram with our official hashtag — #ArtPrize9. Simple as that!
Yesterday at ArtPrize:
On yet another beautiful day, we walked around the ArtPrize district to check out the work that's gone up already, and to find artists installing their entries to have them ready for the official open of the ninth annual event on Wednesday. And what a busy day it was!
At the JW Marriot, A.J Paschka — Featured Public Project winner — was hammering away at his ArtPrize Nine entry 'STARFALL.'
At the city water building by the richard app gallery, Neil Verplank and his team were busy installing 'Cap'n Nemo's Flaming Carnival.'
At Van Andel Arena and on the Blue Bridge, ArtPrize Murals grant-winners were bringing their ideas into reality on the corrugated steel shipping containers.
Pitch Night Detroit winners, Nina Caruso and Christopher Schneider, were twisting and bending their ArtPrize Nine entry 'Anonymous' to perfection.
We also had the chance to catch ArtPrize tours in action! Take advantage of our tours, produced by the ArtPrize Nine team, to deepen your understanding about contemporary art in Grand Rapids as well as enjoy the iconic art works that are permanently displayed around the city. Find a tour day that works for you and join in on the conversation!
And finally, we capped off the evening at our annual Arist & Venue Party, sponsored by The Gilmore Collection. Without the 1,500+ artists and artist collaboratives answering the call and bringing their work to Grand Rapids, the ArtPrize event wouldn't be possible. Last night, we celebrated them and their hard work.
Also, returning to the ninth annual event is ArtPrize Water Share, presented by Spectrum Health. Help us to reduce the prevalence of single-use water bottles by picking up a FREE Water Share sticker (available at all ArtPrize HUBs) to place on your reusable water bottle. The sticker allow you to refill your water bottle at any participating ArtPrize Nine Venue. Once you've filled up, drink up and stay hydrated while you ArtPrize!
For Kids of All Ages:
Calling all artists! ArtPrize offers an array of FREE activities for families and kids of all ages to participate in. ArtPrize Labs provides hands-on activities and creative experimenting through daily and drop-in activities, events, and programs produced by leading cultural organizations. ArtPrize Labs is sponsored byGrand Valley State University, Herman Miller Cares, and Switch.
- ArtPrize Studio — Unleash your creative spirit and stop by the ArtPrize Labs Studio at the HUB/HQ for creative activities that are fun for all ages. Open daily from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. through October 8.
- STEAM Village Learning Lab — Art meets technology at the 2017 iteration of STEAM Village — where schools and visitors of all ages are invited to drop by our unique learning lab experience. Powered by Switch, the STEAM Village hosts a variety of activities including experimenting with robots, drawing with 3D pens, experiencing virtual reality and more! The STEAM Village Lab is open from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. through October 8.
With so many amazing things happening during the ninth annual event, see who's talking about ArtPrize and what they said:
- In Trump era, politics are more visible than ever at Grand Rapids' ArtPrize (Detroit Free Press)
- Lasers on the Grand: ArtPrize goes even bigger this year (Revue Magazine)
- Arts news in brief (Midland Daily News)
- Street Artists Leave Their Mark at ArtPrize Nine (Experience Grand Rapids)
ArtPrize is a nonprofit organization. Your support helps the event thrive year-over-year, elevating the artists, venues and educators that create a world-class exhibition and generate learning opportunities for all.
Below are a couple ways you can support ArtPrize this fall and year-round:
- Membership: Join our ArtClub membership program and get insider access to the event as well as perks year-round, or become an ArtFan to provide support for critical ArtPrize programs that serve the social good.
- Retail Sales: Stop by the ArtPrize HUB/HQ or your local Meijer Store to pick up ArtPrize Nine merchandise, including commemorative clothing, pint glasses and mugs, the inaugural ArtPrize Magazine 'Public Notice,' and more. You can also shop many items online.
Thanks to Our Sponsors:
Support from our corporate sponsors represented our largest source of revenue in 2016, accounting for 56% of ArtPrize’s $3.6 million operating budget. This support, combined with individual membership, retail sales and more makes ArtPrize possible each year.Alee'a Ulsh-Cherry on