Welcome to your ArtPrize Daily. The ArtPrize Daily exists to keep you in the loop — delivering the ArtPrize scoop to your inbox every morning during Preview Week and the 19-day event. It's a one-stop info package, offering a concise recap on the previous day's events, a look forward to the day ahead, and handy tips to help you make the most of your visit.
What's Happening Today at ArtPrize?
ArtPrize Nine entry 'Tango' by Ryan T. Schmidt, at Gerald R. Ford Presidential Museum.
ARTPRIZE PREVIEW WEEK: SEPTEMBER 13-19
ArtPrize Nine artists are continuing to install their work, and there are many exciting events and activities yet to happen during ArtPrize Preview Week. Through September 19, explore events and happenings around the city at the many participating ArtPrize Nine Venues, ahead of the crowds. Check out what's on deck for this gorgeous Sunday in Grand Rapids.
ON DECK TODAY:
- Color and Design Series Preview Week — Come check out the Color and Design Series exhibit by Nancy Jones Francis at CityFlatsHotel, Grand Rapids during Preview Week. First look at it from afar, then once you take it all in, move in closer and check out the individual pieces.
- Public Photoshoot Instagram Party — The Harris Building is hosting an Instagram Party, public photo shoot. Get a picture with a rustic-modern look, a piece of art or hand crafted instrument. Professional photographers will be available for unique, high quality shots for $5. Drinks will also be available. Ticket price is $10.
- Preview GVA Before Official ArtPrize Opening — Come in and check out Grand Valley Artists, Inc. before the official ArtPrize opening. Sketch sessions and special workshops will be taking place at various times throughout Preview Week as well as ArtPrize Nine.
- Preview Week @ UICA — Get a first look at UICA's ArtPrize Nine exhibition ahead of the crowds during ArtPrize Preview Week. Museum admission applies.
NEXT MILESTONE EVENT:
Did you know those who cast at least one vote during the event have nearly a 50% better experience than those who don't? True story! The ArtPrize Nine Public Vote — presented by Meijer — opens at noon on September 20 and will remain open until September 30 at 11:59 p.m. All 1,346 entries are eligible during Round 1 Voting, so download the ArtPrize mobile app and start previewing the amazing collection of entries for the ninth annual event!
Cast your first vote at ArtPrize, then vote from anywhere in the world. You can vote via the ArtPrize mobile app, or online at artprize.org — a platform that has hosted 13,483 artist entry profiles and 1,526 venue profiles since 2009. And we're excited to be working alongside the team at Open Systems Technologies (OST), whose empathetic approach to technology and focus on human-centered design practices will keep the ArtPrize website’s users in mind—from artists and venues to visitors like you from around the world.
#ArtPrize9 Images of the Day:
Over the last few weeks, ArtPrize Nine artists have been busy installing their work across 175 venues throughout Grand Rapids, getting ready to share their work with you. We're already loving the images you're posting from across the ArtPrize district! In each ArtPrize Daily, we'll be featuring a few of our favorites. The ArtPrize Nine images above come from these Instagrammers:
- Top Row: (1) @cultured.gr (2) @keyrealtygr (3) @currentlykherington
- Bottom Row: (1) @michelefifeyoga (2) @diana_nowak (3) @cjhungerman
Interested in the chance to be featured? Share your ArtPrize Nine experience on Instagram with our official hashtag — #ArtPrize9. Simple as that!
Yesterday at ArtPrize:
ArtPrize Preview Week is still underway, and there are tons of events and exhibitions to experience. Yesterday was such a beautiful, sunny day and we were able to stop by the Blue Bridge where Tanner Wilson, ArtPrize Mural Grant recipient, has been working on his ArtPrize Nine entry 'Dancing Tigers,' sponsored by X-Rite Pantone.
We also were able to visit the DeVos Place and the Grand Rapids Public Museum to explore their diverse collection of ArtPrize Nine entries, including 'A Fearless Brother Project Presents: A Walk in the park in America' by Monroe O'Bryant and 'CAPIO' by Julia Heins.
We were also excited to see so many friendly faces at yesterday morning's ArtClub Brunch & Learn at the ArtPrize Clubhouse. Interested in learning more about ArtClub? Head to artprize.org/artclub to find info on the year-round benefits of joining the club - from access to our Clubhouse and early access to GRAM on Saturdays during ArtPrize, to on- and off-season exclusive member events.
For Kids of All Ages:
Calling all artists! ArtPrize offers an array of FREE activities for families and kids of all ages to participate in. ArtPrize Labs provides hands-on activities and creative experimenting through daily and drop-in activities, events, and programs produced by leading cultural organizations. ArtPrize Labs is sponsored byGrand Valley State University, Herman Miller Cares, and Switch.
- ArtPrize Studio — Unleash your creative spirit and stop by the ArtPrize Labs Studio at the HUB/HQ for creative activities that are fun for all ages. Open daily from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. through October 8.
- STEAM Village Learning Lab — Art meets technology at the 2017 iteration of STEAM Village — where schools and visitors of all ages are invited to drop by our unique learning lab experience. Powered by Switch, the STEAM Village hosts a variety of activities including experimenting with robots, drawing with 3D pens, experiencing virtual reality and more! The STEAM Village Lab is open from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. through October 8.
With so many amazing things happening during the ninth annual event, see who's talking about ArtPrize and what they said:
- Local art collectors view curated selection of ArtPrize Nine work (WZZM 13)
- Artist employs help of Northview students to create monster ArtPrize entry (MLive)
- Art going up all over downtown GR just ahead of ArtPrize 9 (FOX 17)
- ArtPrize hones tech focus in Studio Series (Grand Rapids Business Journal)
- Reed City Middle School Students Glue Together Masterpiece For ArtPrize Nine ( 9 and 10 News)
ArtPrize is a nonprofit organization. Your support helps the event thrive year-over-year, elevating the artists, venues and educators that create a world-class exhibition and generate learning opportunities for all.
Below are a couple ways you can support ArtPrize this fall and year-round:
- Membership: Join our ArtClub membership program and get insider access to the event as well as perks year-round, or become an ArtFan to provide support for critical ArtPrize programs that serve the social good.
- Retail Sales: Stop by the ArtPrize HUB/HQ or your local Meijer Store to pick up ArtPrize Nine merchandise, including commemorative clothing, pint glasses and mugs, the inaugural ArtPrize Magazine 'Public Notice,' and more. You can also shop many items online.
Thanks to Our Sponsors:
Support from our corporate sponsors represented our largest source of revenue in 2016, accounting for 56% of ArtPrize’s $3.6 million operating budget. This support, combined with individual membership, retail sales and more makes ArtPrize possible each year.Alee'a Ulsh-Cherry on