Welcome to your ArtPrize Daily. The ArtPrize Daily exists to keep you in the loop — delivering the ArtPrize scoop to your inbox every morning during Preview Week and the 19-day event. It's a one-stop info package, offering a concise recap on the previous day's events, a look forward to the day ahead, and handy tips to help you make the most of your visit.
What's Happening Today at ArtPrize?
ARTPRIZE PREVIEW WEEK: SEPTEMBER 13-19
ArtPrize Preview Week continues and there are many exciting things in store for the week. Now through September 19, explore events and happenings around the city at the many participating ArtPrize Nine Venues, ahead of the crowds. Don't forget to stop by ArtPrize HUB/HQ where you can rest, relax and enjoy the beautiful weather in the Pop-Up Park provided by Landscape design services.
ON DECK TODAY:
- Get PUZZLED! — Chemical Bank, in partnership with Artists Creating Together (ACT), presents Get Puzzled! This is a community based art event with ArtPrize Nine Artist, Corey VanDuiuse everyone is welcome to assist in the painting of the ArtPrize 2017 entry PUZZLED — a compilation of large scale sculptures that'll be dispersed around Oakes Street.
- Painting Live — Stop by Manic Muse to watch live, abstract canvas painting by ArtPrize Nine artist Marsha Lucas!
- A Fearless Brother Project Presents: UNAPOLOGENETIC — Experience a diverse array of mediums, boldly displayed from artists of different nationalities. The curator, Monroe O'Bryant, encouraged artists to educate viewers on the stories behind each of their works.
- Meet the Artist Open House — Join J. Gardella's Tavern for an exciting preview of Dr. Susan Kruszynski's quilted landscape entry "Reaching Upward". Also, elnjoy the backdrop of J. Gardella's charming, historic tavern.
- Apothecary Off Main: Exhibition Opening Event — See two local artists work while enjoying the aroma of the store at Apothecary Off Main during ArtPrize Nine Preview Week.
NEXT MILESTONE EVENT:
Did you know those who cast at least one vote during the event have nearly a 50% better experience than those who don't? True story! The ArtPrize Nine Public Vote — presented by Meijer — opens at noon on September 20 and will remain open until September 30 at 11:59 p.m. All 1,346 entries are eligible during Round 1 Voting, so download the ArtPrize mobile app and start previewing the amazing collection of entries for the ninth annual event!
#ArtPrize9 Images of the Day:
Over the last few weeks, ArtPrize Nine artists have been busy installing their work across 175 venues throughout Grand Rapids, getting ready to share their work with you. We're already loving the images you're posting from across the ArtPrize district! In each ArtPrize Daily, we'll be featuring a few of our favorites — starting today with photos by these Instagrammers:
- Top Row: (1) @nicholekladder (2) @c.t.hankins (3) @paula_manni
- Bottom Row: (1) @candicechovanec (2) @alyssamcelheny (3) @mistahiroshi
Interested in the chance to be featured? Share your ArtPrize Nine experience on Instagram with our official hashtag — #ArtPrize9. Simple as that!
Yesterday at ArtPrize:
ArtPrize Preview Week is underway and artists are still working diligently to prepare for the ninth annual event. Earlier this week, we took a trip to the Van Andel Arena to visit Pitch Night Indianapolis winner, C.T. Hankins, while he was installing his ArtPrize Nine entry "A Bit of Me in You (Echo Point)."
Yesterday marked the open of ArtPrize HUB/HQ, located at 41 Sheldon Blvd SE 49503. Stop by to check out the Pop-Up Park, shop flagship ArtPrize retail store, sign up to vote, create your own work of art at the ArtPrize Labs Studio, and explore the STEAM Village powered by Switch.
For Kids of All Ages:
Calling all artists! ArtPrize offers an array of FREE activities for families and kids of all ages to participate in. ArtPrize Labs provides hands-on activities and creative experimenting through daily and drop-in activities, events, and programs produced by leading cultural organizations. ArtPrize Labs is sponsored by Amway, Grand Valley State University and Herman Miller Cares.
- ArtPrize Studio — Unleash your creative spirit and stop by the ArtPrize Labs Studio at the HUB/HQ for creative activities that are fun for all ages. Open daily from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. through October 8.
- STEAM Village Learning Lab — Art meets technology at the 2017 iteration of STEAM Village -- where schools and visitors of all ages are invited to drop by our unique learning lab experience. Powered by Switch, the STEAM Village hosts a variety of activities including experimenting with robots, drawing with 3D pens, experiencing virtual reality and more! The STEAM Village Lab is open daily from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. through October 8.
With so many amazing things happening during the ninth annual event, see who's talking about ArtPrize and what they said:
- Get a first look at 16 ArtPrize entries at the Grand Rapids Art Museum (MLive)
- Classmates Find Art in Eachother's Faces, Home State (School News Network)
- ArtPrize Artists Join World Renowned Artists for Collectors Show (GR Magazine)
- Southgate’s Beacon Day Students to Be Featured in ArtPrize (News-Herald)
ArtPrize is a nonprofit organization. Your support helps the event thrive year-over-year, elevating the artists, venues and educators that create a world-class exhibition and generate learning opportunities for all.
Below are a couple ways you can support ArtPrize this fall and year-round:
- Membership: Join our ArtClub membership program and get insider access to the event as well as perks year-round, or become an ArtFan to provide support for critical ArtPrize programs that serve the social good.
- Retail Sales: Stop by the ArtPrize HUB/HQ or your local Meijer Store to pick up ArtPrize Nine merchandise, including commemorative clothing, pint glasses and mugs, the inaugural ArtPrize Magazine 'Public Notice,' and more. You can also shop many items online.
Thanks to Our Sponsors:
Support from our corporate sponsors represented our largest source of revenue in 2016, accounting for 56% of ArtPrize’s $3.6 million operating budget. This support, combined with individual membership, retail sales and more makes ArtPrize possible each year.Alee'a Ulsh-Cherry on