Welcome to your ArtPrize Daily. The ArtPrize Daily exists to keep you in the loop — delivering you the ArtPrize scoop every morning during Preview Week and the 19-day event. It's a one-stop info package, offering a concise recap on the previous day's events, a look forward to the day ahead, and handy tips to help you make the most of your visit. Want to get this in your inbox each morning? Sign up here!
What's Happening Today at ArtPrize?
ARTPRIZE PREVIEW WEEK: SEPTEMBER 13-19
Today is the day! ArtPrize Preview Week is finally here and there are many exciting things in store for the week. From September 13-19, explore events and happenings around the city at the many participating ArtPrize Nine Venues, ahead of the crowds.
ON DECK TODAY:
- ArtPrize HUB/HQ is Open! — Stop by HUB/HQ presented by Steelcase to experience our beautiful Pop-Up Park created by Landscape Design Services; explore the STEAM Village powered by Switch; create your own work of art at the ArtPrize Labs Studio presened by Grand Valley State University, Herman Miller Cares and Switch; and pick up your official ArtPrize Nine gear at our flagship retail store. Open daily through October 8, Monday-Saturday 11 a.m.-8 p.m. and Sunday 11 a.m.-6 p.m.
- ArtPrize Preview Week @ GRAM — Catch a preview of GRAM's ArtPrize Nine exhibition before the official event opens, during Preview Week. Museum admission applies.
- ArtPrize Preview Week @ The Fed Galleries — Check out The Fed Galleries @ KCAD before the crowds, during ArtPrize Nine Preview Week. Tours of the exhibition may be arranged by contacting the galleries in advance!
- ArtPrize Preview Week @ the Ford — All art at the Gerald R. Ford Presidential Museum will be available for public viewing during ArtPrize Nine Preview Week. Museum admission applies for indoor art.
- EQUITY NOT EQUALITY —Take the chance to view EQUITY NOT EQUALITY, an exterior installation by artist Eliza Fernand. This piece explores present-day questions of equity and equality, taking into account the place, history and space of the downtown Ladies Literary Club.
NEXT MILESTONE EVENT:
Did you know those who cast at least one vote during the event have nearly a 50% better experience than those who don't? True story! The ArtPrize Nine Public Vote — presented by Meijer — opens at noon on September 20 and will remain open until September 30 at 11:59 p.m. All 1,346 entries are eligible during Round 1 Voting, so download the ArtPrize mobile app and start previewing the amazing collection of entries for the ninth annual event!
#ArtPrize9 Images of the Day:
Over the last few weeks, ArtPrize Nine artists have been busy installing their work across 175 venues throughout Grand Rapids, getting ready to share their work with you. We're already loving the images your posting from across the ArtPrize district! In each ArtPrize Daily, we'll be featuring a few of our favorites — starting today with photos by these Instagrammers:
- Top Row: (1) @cultured.gr 2) @chrisvitiello71 (3) @jeffysf
- Bottom Row: (1) @experiencegrandrapids (2) @tarotakizawart (3) @benjaminspahr
Interested in the chance to be featured? Share your ArtPrize Nine experience on Instagram with our official hashtag — #ArtPrize9. Simple as that!
Yesterday at ArtPrize:
Though ArtPrize isn't officially underway just yet, Preview Week kicks off today, and artists have been busy installing their work for weeks. Earlier this week we had the chance to stop by the Grand Rapids Art Museum (GRAM) where Pitch NIght Durham winner, Chris Vitiello, was installing his ArtPrize Nine entry, "The Language is Asleep."
We also stopped by Lyon Square where Pitch Night Louisville winners Kurt Gohde and Kremena Todorova were installing their ArtPrize Nine entry, "Unlearn Fear & Hate."
And yesterday, ArtPrize ArtClub Members had the chance to connect with our team ahead of the event for the annual Art of ArtPrizing gathering held at Founders Brewing Co.'s gorgeous Centennial Room. We reviewed the ArtPrize Nine Event Guide (preview here!), and discussed not-to-miss work as well as tips and tricks for getting the most our of ArtPrize this season.
For Kids of All Ages:
Calling all artists! ArtPrize offers an array of FREE activities for families and kids of all ages to participate in. ArtPrize Labs provides hands-on activities and creative experimenting through daily and drop-in activities, events, and programs produced by leading cultural organizations. ArtPrize Labs is sponsored by Grand Valley State University, Herman Miller Cares and Switch.
- ArtPrize Labs Studio — Unleash your creative spirit and stop by the ArtPrize Labs Studio at the HUB/HQ for creative activities that are fun for all ages! Now open daily from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. through October 8.
- STEAM Village powered by Switch — Art meets technology at the 2017 iteration of STEAM Village, where students and ArtPrize Nine visitors of all ages are invited to drop by our unique learning lab experience. Powered by Switch, the STEAM Village hosts a variety of activities including experimenting with robots, drawing with 3D pens, experiencing virtual reality and more! Now open daily from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. through October 8.
With so many amazing things happening during the ninth annual event, see who's talking about ArtPrize and what they said:
- ArtPrize artist feature from UICA: Artemis Antippas (The Rapidian)
- Soles and Ties that Bind (School News Network)
- Twins accepted into ArtPrize for first time (News Review)
- UICA’s ArtPrize Nine exhibition to focus on food (WOOD TV8)
- Irving’s artwork chosen for ArtPrize (Daily Press)
- 3 square miles of art: Grand Rapids, Mich., hosts annual competition (Kenosha News)
- Clarkston students to display artwork in ArtPrize competition (Oakland Press)
- Ai Weiwei film among ArtPrize 2017 entries (MLive)
ArtPrize is a nonprofit organization. Your support helps the event thrive year-over-year, elevating the artists, venues and educators that create a world-class exhibition and generate learning opportunities for all.
Below are a couple ways you can support ArtPrize this fall and year-round:
- Membership: Join our ArtClub membership program and get insider access to the event as well as perks year-round, or become an ArtFan to provide support for critical ArtPrize programs that serve the social good.
- Retail Sales: Stop by the ArtPrize HUB/HQ or your local Meijer Store to pick up ArtPrize Nine merchandise, including commemorative clothing, pint glasses and mugs, the inaugural ArtPrize Magazine 'Public Notice,' and more. You can also shop many items online.
Thanks to Our Sponsors:
Support from our corporate sponsors represented our largest source of revenue in 2016, accounting for 56% of ArtPrize’s $3.6 million operating budget. This support, combined with individual membership, retail sales and more makes ArtPrize possible each year.Alee'a Ulsh-Cherry on