Thank You for Reading. We created the ArtPrize Daily to keep you in the loop — delivering the ArtPrize scoop to your inbox each morning. It's a one-stop info package, offering a concise recap of the previous day's events, a look forward to the day ahead, and handy tips to help you make the most of your visit. We hope this has been a useful resource for you, and we thank you for reading!
What's Happening Today at ArtPrize?
A MILLION THANKS!
Today, ArtPrize Nine comes to a close, and we want to take a moment to thank you and everyone else that makes the annual event possible — and the most-attended art event in the world.
This year was another unforgettable experience! Without the artists and venues who transform Grand Rapids into an open playing field decorated with diverse art; the volunteers who sacrifice countless hours helping the 19-day event run smoothly; the City of Grand Rapids; Downtown Grand Rapids, Inc. and the brilliant and always helpful Downtown Ambassadors; or the gracious sponsors who help keep ArtPrize free and open to the public, ArtPrize would simply not be possible. And we'd be remiss if we didn't send a hearty thank you to our ArtClub and ArtFan members, who not only love ArtPrize as much as we do but also support the arts in Grand Rapids.
Being able to make all things ArtPrize convenient for our visitors is a priority for us. With state-of-the-art technology available at every ArtPrize HUB/HQ, our volunteers have been able to assist visitors like you with voting, wayfinding and more thanks to the Official Technology Provider of ArtPrize, Trivalent Group.
ON DECK TODAY
ArtPrize Venues will remain open until 6 p.m. today, so you still have plenty of time to discover new works of art, explore the ArtPrize Nine winning entries and soak in the atmosphere of the ninth annual event before it concludes.
Start your holiday shopping early! Today, October 8, Everything in the HUB/HQ retail store is 50% off. From tees and sweatshirts to hats and mugs, find the perfect something special for yourself or for the ArtPrize lover in your life. Stop by 41 Sheldon Blvd SE anytime 11a-6p - get here while supplies last!
- Kids' Food Basket Bag Decorating — Unleash your creativity and join Kids' Food Basket in Rosa Parks Circle to help decorate brown paper bags. Decorated sack lunches provide well-rounded, nutritious meals for children in need, while also brightening their day.
- Color West Michigan ArtPrize Rock Hunt — Color West Michigan will be hiding painted rocks for you to find at ArtPrize! Please get in on the fun and paint and hide your own rocks! This is a great opportunity to spread some kindness and joy throughout our community. Join our group Color West Michigan on Facebook to post the rocks you find and to find additional details on how you can participate in this fun activity.
- ArtPrize Labs @ GRAM Studio — Drop into GRAMStudio during ArtPrize to create a work of art inspired by the work of an ArtPrize entry at GRAM. Visitors of all ages are welcome to participate in these fun, hands-on activities that the whole family will enjoy!
- Vizions Dance Performance — Head to the Rumsey Street venue for a Vizions Dance Performance!
#ArtPrize9 Images of the Day:
We had a blast sharing the pictures you've been posting on Instagram! Each picture has a story and we love that ArtPrizers, from near and far, take pride in spreading the word about the ninth annual event. With that being said, these are the last featured pictures of ArtPrize Nine that contributed to the transformation of Grand Rapids — shot by these Instagrammers:
- Top Row: (1) @kpmaine007 (2) @idyllellen (3) @andoramirezdesign
- Bottom Row: (1) @theruseescaperooms (2) @katymcavoy (3) @carbonstories
Interested in the chance to be featured? Share your ArtPrize Nine experience on Instagram with our official hashtag — #ArtPrize9. Simple as that!
Yesterday at ArtPrize:
Our ArtPrize + programming started this final Saturday of ArtPrize NIne, just after an evening packed with ArtPrize Awards festivities, with some much-needed, relaxing Tai Chi, facilitated by The Hear Yoga and Tai Chi Center. Together we experienced an ancient form of meditation, allowing us to push our flexibility, balance and posture control to new limits.
ArtPrize Labs and Air Zoo teamed up to create a fun, innovative way to enjoy painting! Throughout the day, paint flew from two different types of catapult systems, launching paint-covered objects at a canvas to create colorful collaborative impact art. Every participant passed the Painting Experiments activity with flying colors — literally!
Curious ArtPrizers crowded the Amway Grand Plaza lobby to see the Public Vote Grand Prize winning entry, 'A. Lincoln' by Richard Schlatter.
To end the day, we found ArtPrize tours in action as they were getting ready to explore ArtPrize Nine entries as well as learn about iconic artworks that are permanent to the city. Yesterday was our final tour of ArtPrize Nine, and we appreciate each and every person that signed up to experience this inaugural year of ArtPrize tours with us!
For Kids of All Ages:
Calling all artists! ArtPrize offers an array of FREE activities for families and kids of all ages to participate in. ArtPrize Labs provides hands-on activities and creative experimenting through daily and drop-in activities, events, and programs produced by leading cultural organizations. ArtPrize Labs is sponsored by Grand Valley State University, Herman Miller Cares, and Switch.
- ArtPrize Studio — Unleash your creative spirit and stop by the ArtPrize Labs Studio at the HUB/HQ for creative activities that are fun for all ages. Open daily from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. through October 8.
- STEAM Village Learning Lab — Art meets technology at the 2017 iteration of STEAM Village — where schools and visitors of all ages are invited to drop by our unique learning lab experience. Powered by Switch, the STEAM Village hosts a variety of activities including experimenting with robots, drawing with 3D pens, experiencing virtual reality and more! The STEAM Village Lab is open from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. through October 8.
- ArtPrize Labs Mobile Workshop — Stop by Rosa Parks Circle from 3-7 p.m. to check out the ArtPrize Labs Mobile Workshop sponsored by Herman Miller Cares, and participate in creating pop-up art-making activities with repurposed materials.
- Youth Collaboration Award — The Youth Collaboration Award, sponsored by Western Michigan University, gives K-12 students a platform to exhibit their work for thousands of ArtPrize visitors (that’s you!) to view. For the first time ever, ArtPrize Nine will feature 26 student-driven collaborative entries from schools across the state of Michigan. To find all Youth Collaboration Award entries, click here!
'Red Dirt Rug Monument' by Rena Detrixhe at Western Michigan University - Grand Rapids (Time-Based Public Vote & Juried Category Winner)
With so many amazing things happening during the ninth annual event, see who's talking about ArtPrize and what they said:
- See who won Grand Rapids ArtPrize (Michigan Radio)
- The Latest: Winners announced in annual ArtPrize competition (The Washington Post)
- Seitu Jones brings community to the table (cultured.GR)
- Penny for his thoughts (cultured.GR)
- ARTPRIZE NINE WINNERS ANNOUNCED (GR Magazine)
- Weekend Adventure: ArtPrize Nine's most interactive artwork (WZZM 13)
- Seitu Jones brings community to the table (cultured.gr)
- Local woman puts cancer fight on display, participates in ArtPrize submission (Holland Sentinel)
- Crowds flock to ArtPrize 2017 winners during event's final weekend (MLive)
- Battle Creek artist wins grand prize at ArtPrize (Battle Creek Inquirer)
ArtPrize is a nonprofit organization. Your support helps the event thrive year-over-year, elevating the artists, venues and educators that create a world-class exhibition and generate learning opportunities for all.
Below are a couple ways you can support ArtPrize this fall and year-round:
- Membership: Join our ArtClub membership program and get insider access to the event as well as perks year-round, or become an ArtFan to provide support for critical ArtPrize programs that serve the social good.
- Retail Sales: Stop by the ArtPrize HUB/HQ or your local Meijer Store to pick up ArtPrize Nine merchandise, including commemorative clothing, pint glasses and mugs, the inaugural ArtPrize Magazine 'Public Notice,' and more. You can also shop many items online.
- Volunteering: Join the nearly 1,000 volunteers who step forward to welcome hundreds of thousands of visitors to ArtPrize each fall. We couldn't do it without you.
Thanks to Our Sponsors:
Support from our corporate sponsors represented our largest source of revenue in 2016, accounting for 56% of ArtPrize’s $3.6 million operating budget. This support, combined with individual membership, retail sales and more makes ArtPrize possible each year.Alee'a Ulsh-Cherry on