Welcome to your ArtPrize Daily. The ArtPrize Daily exists to keep you in the loop — delivering the ArtPrize scoop to your inbox every morning during Preview Week and the 19-day event. It's a one-stop info package, offering a concise recap of the previous day's events, a look forward to the day ahead, and handy tips to help you make the most of your visit.
What's Happening Today at ArtPrize?
Photo courtesy of 20 Monroe Live
CELEBRATE THE WINNERS OF $500K WITH US
DON'T MISS THE ARTPRIZE AWARDS + ARTPRIZE AFTER DARK
Tonight's the night! Find out which artist entries will take home part of the $500,000 in cash prizes, awarded equally by public vote and expert jury, by watching the two-time Emmy Award-nominated ArtPrize Awards Ceremony, powered by DTE Energy Foundation. Tune in for the live broadcast on NBC affiliate WOOD TV8 at 7:30 p.m. or join in the festivities at Rosa Parks Circle for a public watch party starting at 5:30 p.m.
Then, come celebrate with us! Immediately following the announcement of the $200,000 Public Vote and Juried Grand Prize winners, the floor at 20 Monroe Live will transform from a TV studio-style audience, clearing the floor for ArtPrize After Dark, presented by LIFEWTR. Detroit-based band ONEFREQ will kick off the evening with a soulful set, followed immediately by headlining artist, Maségo. Get tickets while they last!
- Hula Hoop Splatter Paint — Stop by Grand Rapids Children's Museum to experience ArtPrize Nine artist Jennifer Mitchell's IMAJENation Hoop Revival - where art, movement, science, math and fun collide.
- Color West Michigan ArtPrize Rock Hunt — Color West Michigan will be hiding painted rocks for you to find at ArtPrize! Please get in on the fun and paint and hide your own rocks! Join our group Color West Michigan on Facebook to find additional details how you can participate as well as post the rocks you find.
- ArtPrize Tours — Not quite sure where to start, or looking for a fresh new perspective on the annual event? Take a tour of ArtPrize Nine and our city with us! The ArtPrize Nine tour, produced by the ArtPrize team, has been specifically designed to draw your attention not only to artwork that is entered into the 2017 event, but also iconic artworks that are permanent to the city of Grand Rapids.
- ArtPrize Labs Mobile Workshop - Ah Nab Awen Park — Stop by the Mobile Workshop for pop-up art making activities with repurposed materials.
NEXT MILESTONE EVENT
It's hard to believe, but we're already on day 17 of ArtPrize Nine which means Closing Day is quickly approaching. Luckily, we still have 3 fun-filled days left to go and the winners yet to announce! Not to worry though, following tonight's winners' announcements, ArtPrize Nine venues will remain open through the weekend, until Sunday, October 8 at 6 p.m. — giving you plenty of time to see the winners and anything else you might discover along the way.
#ArtPrize9 Images of the Day:
We're having a blast sharing the pictures you've been posting on Instagram! Each picture has a story and we love that ArtPrizers, from near and far, take pride in spreading the word about the ninth annual event. With that being said, keep the pictures coming! Above is a snapshot of the work that has contributed to the transformation of Grand Rapids — shot by these Instagrammers:
- Top Row: (1) @ariannaskentzos (2) @abbythediva1 (3) @bryanesler
- Bottom Row: (1) @not_just_another_art_dealer (2) @missduke24 (3) @hlagrow
Interested in the chance to be featured? Share your ArtPrize Nine experience on Instagram with our official hashtag — #ArtPrize9. Simple as that!
Yesterday at ArtPrize:
It's not everyday that you see robots parading through the streets! Yesterday, FIRST® Robotics teams participated in a robot parade, traveling from the Grand Rapids Children's Museum to the ArtPrize HUB/HQ. A cluster of intricately-designed robots made a successful journey, showing off their skills programmed by FIRST® teams across the state.
Immediately following the parade, everyone filed into the ArtPrize Studio to listen to keynote speaker Donald E. Bossi, President of FIRST®. Attendees listened attentively as Bossi discussed the history of the FIRST® Robotics Competition and the convergence of art and science as it relates to creative, diverse and innovative career opportunities.
Art is an evolving form! Whether you're painting on canvas or building a concept with digital software, you're creating art. For yesterday's ArtPrize Education Days programming, presented by PNC Bank, students learned about the future of digital art and VR and how artists and designers may use these tools in the future. Experts in the field of VR and software development, Craig Burgess and Kendell Joseph demonstrated basic coding concepts using an open source lego block coding language to create a VR experience.
For Kids of All Ages:
Calling all artists! ArtPrize offers an array of FREE activities for families and kids of all ages to participate in. ArtPrize Labs provides hands-on activities and creative experimenting through daily and drop-in activities, events, and programs produced by leading cultural organizations. ArtPrize Labs is sponsored by Grand Valley State University, Herman Miller Cares, and Switch.
- ArtPrize Studio — Unleash your creative spirit and stop by the ArtPrize Labs Studio at the HUB/HQ for creative activities that are fun for all ages. Open daily from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. through October 8.
- STEAM Village Learning Lab — Art meets technology at the 2017 iteration of STEAM Village — where schools and visitors of all ages are invited to drop by our unique learning lab experience. Powered by Switch, the STEAM Village hosts a variety of activities including experimenting with robots, drawing with 3D pens, experiencing virtual reality and more! The STEAM Village Lab is open from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. through October 8.
- ArtPrize Labs Mobile Workshop — Stop by Ah-Nab-Awen Park from 3-7 p.m. to check out the ArtPrize Labs Mobile Workshop sponsored by Herman Miller Cares, and participate in creating pop-up art-making activities with repurposed materials.
- Youth Collaboration Award — The Youth Collaboration Award, sponsored by Western Michigan University, gives K-12 students a platform to exhibit their work for thousands of ArtPrize visitors (that’s you!) to view. For the first time ever, ArtPrize Nine will feature 26 student-driven collaborative entries from schools across the state of Michigan. To find all Youth Collaboration Award entries, click here!
'Fenced In' by Cassandra Burgess at The B.O.B. (ArtPrize Nine Finalist)
With so many amazing things happening during the ninth annual event, see who's talking about ArtPrize and what they said:
- Why These Stanchions: Understanding the unique challenges of curation at ArtPrize (cultured.gr)
- ArtPrize Nine in the Heartside Neighborhood: Mayan Buzz Cafe (WZZM 13)
- Why 'Red Dirt Rug' at ArtPrize isn't finished until it's swept away (MLive)
- Lake City woman, cancer survivor centerpiece of ArtPrize entry (Cadillac News)
- Mural made of sugar could snag ArtPrize win (WOOD TV8)
- Spirit of Freedom' ArtPrize entry hopes to save wild horses (WZZM 13)
- Henna artists crown cancer patients, survivors at ArtPrize Nine (Grand Valley Lanthorn)
- How are our art skills? Watch us play Pictionary with local ArtPrize artists (FOX 17)
- Meet the artists: 20 ArtPrize entries on 2017 Jurors' Shortlist (MLive)
- Step away from reality, and into 'DREAMLAND' at Lions & Rabbits gallery (WZZM 13)
ArtPrize is a nonprofit organization. Your support helps the event thrive year-over-year, elevating the artists, venues and educators that create a world-class exhibition and generate learning opportunities for all.
Below are a couple ways you can support ArtPrize this fall and year-round:
- Membership: Join our ArtClub membership program and get insider access to the event as well as perks year-round, or become an ArtFan to provide support for critical ArtPrize programs that serve the social good.
- Retail Sales: Stop by the ArtPrize HUB/HQ or your local Meijer Store to pick up ArtPrize Nine merchandise, including commemorative clothing, pint glasses and mugs, the inaugural ArtPrize Magazine 'Public Notice,' and more. You can also shop many items online.
- Volunteering: Join the nearly 1,000 volunteers who step forward to welcome hundreds of thousands of visitors to ArtPrize each fall. We couldn't do it without you.
Thanks to Our Sponsors:
Support from our corporate sponsors represented our largest source of revenue in 2016, accounting for 56% of ArtPrize’s $3.6 million operating budget. This support, combined with individual membership, retail sales and more makes ArtPrize possible each year.Alee'a Ulsh-Cherry on