Welcome to your ArtPrize Daily. The ArtPrize Daily exists to keep you in the loop — delivering the ArtPrize scoop to your inbox every morning during Preview Week and the 19-day event. It's a one-stop info package, offering a concise recap of the previous day's events, a look forward to the day ahead, and handy tips to help you make the most of your visit.
What's Happening Today at ArtPrize?
'AUTISM A Visual Journey' by Ann Vincenti-Michelman at the city water building by the richard app gallery (ArtPrize Nine Finalist)
ROUND 2 VOTING CLOSES AT 11:59 PM
Round 2 Voting, presented by Meijer, closes TONIGHT at 11:59 p.m. Make sure to go out and see all 38 entries so you can continue to vote for your favorite pieces. At the end of Round 2 voting, the Artist Entry with the most Round 2 votes in each category will win their $12,500 public vote category award. The Finalist with the most Round 2 votes overall will be awarded the $200,000 Public Vote Grand Prize. Votes will be verified by KPMG, the Official Auditor of the Public Vote, prior to announcing the winners at tomorrow’s ArtPrize Awards Ceremony. Just like ArtPrize, KPMG takes pride in combining innovation with technology when delivering solutions. Watch this short video to find out more!
- Observe a Long Pose Model Workshop — Grand Valley Artists, Inc. invites you to observe a long pose painting session conducted by Candice Chovanec, a nationally recognized oil painter.
- ArtPrize Labs Mobile Workshop - ArtPrize HUB/HQ — Stop by the Mobile Workshop for pop-up art making activities with repurposed materials.
- Observe a GVA Critique — Grand Valley Artists, Inc. invites you to observe one of our regularly scheduled uplifting and entertaining Critique nights. Members bring in artwork to be critiqued by their fellow artists.
- Arbor Circle Youth Board Presents: A Night of Art and Education — Arbor Circle's Youth Board is proud to present an evening of art and education. The evening will feature a show of works by young local artists reflecting on their experiences with homelessness, or on a time in their life that they have struggled. At 7:30 p.m., there will be a presentation on the state of youth homelessness in our community, followed by a community Q&A session featuring representatives of the Youth Board.
- ArtPrize Tours — Not quite sure where to start, or looking for a fresh new perspective on the annual event? Take a tour of ArtPrize Nine and our city with us! The ArtPrize Nine tour, produced by the ArtPrize team, has been specifically designed to draw your attention not only to artwork that is entered into the 2017 event, but also iconic artworks that are permanent to the city of Grand Rapids.
NEXT MILESTONE EVENT
Tomorrow night, find out which artist entries will take home part of the $500,000 in cash prizes — awarded equally by public vote and expert jury. The two-time Emmy Award-nominated ArtPrize Awards Ceremony, powered by DTE Energy Foundation, will be broadcast live on NBC affiliate WOOD TV8 and on the big screen at Rosa Parks Circle on Friday, October 6 starting at 7:30 p.m., followed by a celebration to remember.
Immediately following the announcement of the $200,000 Public Vote and Juried Grand Prize winners, the floor at 20 Monroe Live will transform from a TV studio-style audience, clearing the floor for ArtPrize After Dark, presented by LIFEWTR. Detroit-based band ONEFREQ will kick off the evening with a soulful set, followed immediately by headlining artist, Maségo. Get tickets while they last!
Featured Upcoming Events:
'El Sueño Americano' by Tom Kiefer at DeVos Place Convention Center (ArtPrize Nine Finalist)
OCTOBER 8: ARTPRIZE NINE CLOSING DAY
It's hard to believe, but we're already on day 16 of ArtPrize Nine. We still have 4 fun-filled days left to go (and the winners yet to announce!), but sooner than we'd like, this year's event will come to a close. Not to worry though. Following tomorrow's winners' announcements, ArtPrize Nine venues will remain open through the weekend, until Sunday, October 8 at 6 p.m. — giving you plenty of time to see the winners and anything else you might discover along the way.
#ArtPrize9 Images of the Day:
ArtPrize Nine is underway and all 1,346 entries are picture perfect ready! Above is a snapshot of the work that has contributed to the transformation of Grand Rapids — shot by these Instagrammers:
- Top Row: (1) @carlyjoooooo (2) @jillianvanz (3) @godsgrayce
- Bottom Row: (1) @jillianvanz (2) @misstandcreativity (3) @hilary_millery
Interested in the chance to be featured? Share your ArtPrize Nine experience on Instagram with our official hashtag — #ArtPrize9. Simple as that!
Yesterday at ArtPrize:
Rosa Parks Circle was filled with life today! Young artists were focused on perfecting their work as they expressed their creativity through painting, courtesy of our ArtPrize Labs Studio.
Art is for kids of all ages! ArtPrize Education Days programming, presented by PNC Bank, ranges from Pre-K all the way through high school and offers free arts education that caters to each age group. Yesterday, we dropped in on the ArtPrize Guided Tour, Ecology and Art, where we found high school students getting ready to engage with ArtPrize Nine entries that address environmental issues.
After exploring the city to drop by different events, we decided to take a break at the Volunteer Lounge. Located at 200 Monroe, the Volunteer Lounge is a great place to grab a snack and relax, whether you need a break on duty or if you just want a place to chill out after ArtPrizing. Interested in volunteering? You can still lend a helping hand to the ninth annual event and we'd be glad to have you! Registration will be open throughout the remainder of ArtPrize Nine, so make sure to sign up on our website to begin the process.
We also stumbled upon an ArtPrize Tour in process! Attendees were mesmerized as they learned about the new art introduced to Grand Rapids as well as the pieces that are permanent to the city. Interested in getting a new perspective on ArtPrize? The ninth annual event isn't over yet, so make sure to secure your spot for an upcoming tour today!
For Kids of All Ages:
Calling all artists! ArtPrize offers an array of FREE activities for families and kids of all ages to participate in. ArtPrize Labs provides hands-on activities and creative experimenting through daily and drop-in activities, events, and programs produced by leading cultural organizations. ArtPrize Labs is sponsored by Grand Valley State University, Herman Miller Cares, and Switch.
- ArtPrize Studio — Unleash your creative spirit and stop by the ArtPrize Labs Studio at the HUB/HQ for creative activities that are fun for all ages. Open daily from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. through October 8.
- STEAM Village Learning Lab — Art meets technology at the 2017 iteration of STEAM Village — where schools and visitors of all ages are invited to drop by our unique learning lab experience. Powered by Switch, the STEAM Village hosts a variety of activities including experimenting with robots, drawing with 3D pens, experiencing virtual reality and more! The STEAM Village Lab is open from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. through October 8.
- ArtPrize Labs Mobile Workshop — Stop by ArtPrize HUB/HQ from 3-7 p.m. to check out the ArtPrize Labs Mobile Workshop sponsored by Herman Miller Cares, and participate in creating pop-up art-making activities with repurposed materials.
- Youth Collaboration Award — The Youth Collaboration Award, sponsored by Western Michigan University, gives K-12 students a platform to exhibit their work for thousands of ArtPrize visitors (that’s you!) to view. For the first time ever, ArtPrize Nine will feature 26 student-driven collaborative entries from schools across the state of Michigan. To find all Youth Collaboration Award entries, click here!
'SOS (Safety Orange Swimmers)' by A+J Art+Design in the Grand River (ArtPrize Nine Finalist)
With so many amazing things happening during the ninth annual event, see who's talking about ArtPrize and what they said:
- Getting Ready for the ArtPrize Awards Ceremony (WOOD TV8)
- The Final Days of Grand Rapid’s ArtPrize Nine (9 & 10 News)
- Final 20 artist would use winnings to fight human trafficking (WOOD TV8)
- ArtPrize's slighted artists on Rumsey Street give voice to voiceless (MLive)
- BR meets GR (Torch - Ferris State University)
- Moving and grooving at ArtPrize Nine (WOTV4women)
- ArtPrize entry sheds light on substance abuse (Fox 17)
- See all 38 ArtPrize finalists in less than 3 1/2 hours (MLive)
- Shortlist entry honors fallen serviceman (WOOD TV8)
- FIVE LOCAL EYES ON THE ARTPRIZE (Toledo City Paper)
- ArtPrize is incredible at night and you need to see it (MLive)
- ArtPrize finalist offers panoramic view of GR landmark (WOOD TV8)
ArtPrize is a nonprofit organization. Your support helps the event thrive year-over-year, elevating the artists, venues and educators that create a world-class exhibition and generate learning opportunities for all.
Below are a couple ways you can support ArtPrize this fall and year-round:
- Membership: Join our ArtClub membership program and get insider access to the event as well as perks year-round, or become an ArtFan to provide support for critical ArtPrize programs that serve the social good.
- Retail Sales: Stop by the ArtPrize HUB/HQ or your local Meijer Store to pick up ArtPrize Nine merchandise, including commemorative clothing, pint glasses and mugs, the inaugural ArtPrize Magazine 'Public Notice,' and more. You can also shop many items online.
- Volunteering: Join the nearly 1,000 volunteers who step forward to welcome hundreds of thousands of visitors to ArtPrize each fall. We couldn't do it without you.
Thanks to Our Sponsors:
Support from our corporate sponsors represented our largest source of revenue in 2016, accounting for 56% of ArtPrize’s $3.6 million operating budget. This support, combined with individual membership, retail sales and more makes ArtPrize possible each year.Alee'a Ulsh-Cherry on