Welcome to your ArtPrize Daily. The ArtPrize Daily exists to keep you in the loop — delivering the ArtPrize scoop to your inbox every morning during Preview Week and the 19-day event. It's a one-stop info package, offering a concise recap of the previous day's events, a look forward to the day ahead, and handy tips to help you make the most of your visit.
What's Happening Today at ArtPrize?
OCTOBER 3: CRITICAL DISCOURSE - WHY THESE FINALISTS? PART 2
ArtPrize Studio @ HUB/HQ | 7 p.m. EDT (Doors close at 6:45 p.m.)
The Why These Finalists? series continues today, with a focus on 3-D and Time-Based finalists, featuring Justin Witte, Curator and Director at Cleve Carney Art Gallery; Laura Ritchie, Co-founder and Director at The Carrack Modern Art; and Kulapat Yantrasast, founder of wHY Architecture ― as they examine finalist entries in the 3-D and Time-Based categories. Join the live studio audience in the ArtPrize Studio at HUB/HQ, or watch live on WOOD TV8.
Need a refresher on the 38 total finalists? Get a sneak peek at the public vote finalists in the video above, and don't miss a recap of the category jurors' picks on Vimeo.
- Science Tuesdays at Grand Rapids Public Museum — Science Tuesdays is an ongoing educational experience at the GRPM, offering science programming based on changing themes each month. October is the month of Creepy Chemistry! Taking place throughout the day every Tuesday at the Museum, Science Tuesdays include a variety of activities and interactive displays from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- ArtPrize Labs @ Lions & Rabbits - Swing Dancing — Come learn the beginner’s basics from 3pm-4pm with our in-house Swing Dance crew. From 4pm-5pm enjoy open swing or just sit back and watch the professionals!
- Vizions Dance Performance — Head to Cultura Collective at Rumsey Street, an Outstanding Venue Juried Award finalist, for a Vizions Dance Performance!
- Brews-Views-ArtPrize — Drink your favorite brews and relax while we take you on a tour of ArtPrize Nine, one of the largest art events in the world!
- ArtPrize Tours — Not quite sure where to start, or looking for a fresh new perspective on the annual event? Take a tour of ArtPrize Nine and our city with us! The ArtPrize Nine tour, produced by the ArtPrize team, has been specifically designed to draw your attention not only to artwork that is entered into the 2017 event, but also iconic artworks that are permanent to the city of Grand Rapids.
NEXT MILESTONE EVENT
Round 2 Voting, presented by Meijer, is underway and will be open until October 5 at 11:59 p.m. Make sure to go out and see all 40 entries so you can continue to vote for your favorite pieces. At the end of Round 2 voting, the Artist Entry with the most Round 2 votes in each category will win their $12,500 public vote category award. The Finalist with the most Round 2 votes overall will be awarded the $200,000 Public Vote Grand Prize.
Featured Upcoming Events:
'R.E.F.U.S.E.' by Mar Lee School located at the Grand Rapids Downtown Market
OCTOBER 6: NINTH ANNUAL ARTPRIZE AWARDS & ARTPRIZE AFTER DARK
20 Monroe Live | Awards Ceremony, 7:30 p.m. | ArtPrize After Dark, 9 p.m.
Find out which artist entries will take home part of the $500,000 in cash prizes — awarded equally by public vote and expert jury. The two-time Emmy Award-nominated ArtPrize Awards Ceremony, powered by DTE Energy Foundation, will be broadcast live on NBC affiliate WOOD TV8, starting at 7:30 p.m. Todd Herring, ArtPrize Director of Creative and Communications and long-time River City Improv comedian, will return as host of the ceremony alongside returning house band, ONEFREQ. Tickets to the ceremony, plus ArtPrize After Dark, are now on sale for just $9.99 — but get yours quick because they're going fast.
Immediately following the announcement of the $200,000 Public Vote and Juried Grand Prize winners, the floor at 20 Monroe Live will transform from a TV studio-style audience, clearing the floor for ArtPrize After Dark, presented by LIFEWTR. Detroit-based band ONEFREQ will kick off the evening with a soulful set, followed immediately by headlining artist, Maségo. Get tickets while they last!
OCTOBER 8: ARTPRIZE NINE CLOSING DAY
ArtPrize Nine venues will remain open through the weekend, following the winners' announcement at the ArtPrize Awards, until Sunday, October 8 at 6 p.m.
#ArtPrize9 Images of the Day:
ArtPrize Nine is underway and all 1,346 entries are picture perfect ready! Above is a snapshot of the work that has contributed to the transformation of Grand Rapids — shot by these Instagrammers:
- Top Row: (1) @renadetrixhe (2) @hadloma (3) @ezzyjimenez2010
- Bottom Row: (1) @yeahitsthatskinnykid (2) @sweetenthetrip (3) @procapturellc
Interested in the chance to be featured? Share your ArtPrize Nine experience on Instagram with our official hashtag — #ArtPrize9. Simple as that!
Yesterday at ArtPrize:
Yesterday kicked off Part 1 of the 'Why These Finalists?' series! ArtPrize goers and artists piled into the ArtPrize Studio to secure their spot as an audience member for the live broadcast. Panelists Jim Daichendt, Dean of Arts and Humanities at Point Loma Nazarene University; Belinda Tate, Executive Director of Kalamazoo Institute of Art; and Lizzie Whitington, Visual Arts Curator at SXSW, put on a one-of-a-kind show by discussing the 2-D and Installation finalists in a humorous, yet irreverent debate. The crowd was interactive and energetic throughout the broadcast, which capitalized on the exclusive, live studio audience experience.
In partnership with Artists Creating Together (ACT), ArtPrize Education Days presented by PNC Bank brought students to the Grand Rapids Downtown Market for a day full of arts and crafts. By creating visual art projects, engaging in energetic dance workshops and exploring their senses with culinary arts, the students received a well-rounded, fun educational experience.
The day just wouldn't be complete without a trip to ArtPrize Clubhouse for happy hour! Every day during ArtPrize Nine from 4 to 6 p.m., ArtClub and ArtFan members enjoy complimentary drinks and light snacks provided by Above & Beyond catering. If you aren't an ArtClub member, sign up today to start enjoying the perks while also supporting the world's most attended art event.
For Kids of All Ages:
Calling all artists! ArtPrize offers an array of FREE activities for families and kids of all ages to participate in. ArtPrize Labs provides hands-on activities and creative experimenting through daily and drop-in activities, events, and programs produced by leading cultural organizations. ArtPrize Labs is sponsored by Grand Valley State University, Herman Miller Cares, and Switch.
- ArtPrize Studio — Unleash your creative spirit and stop by the ArtPrize Labs Studio at the HUB/HQ for creative activities that are fun for all ages. Open daily from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. through October 8.
- STEAM Village Learning Lab — Art meets technology at the 2017 iteration of STEAM Village — where schools and visitors of all ages are invited to drop by our unique learning lab experience. Powered by Switch, the STEAM Village hosts a variety of activities including experimenting with robots, drawing with 3D pens, experiencing virtual reality and more! The STEAM Village Lab is open from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. through October 8.
- ArtPrize Labs Mobile Workshop — Stop by Rosa Parks Circle from 3-7 p.m. to check out the ArtPrize Labs Mobile Workshop sponsored by Herman Miller Cares, and participate in creating pop-up art-making activities with repurposed materials.
- Youth Collaboration Award — The Youth Collaboration Award, sponsored by Western Michigan University, gives K-12 students a platform to exhibit their work for thousands of ArtPrize visitors (that’s you!) to view. For the first time ever, ArtPrize Nine will feature 26 student-driven collaborative entries from schools across the state of Michigan. To find all Youth Collaboration Award entries, click here!
With so many amazing things happening during the ninth annual event, see who's talking about ArtPrize and what they said:
- Why These Finalists: 2-D and Installation (WOOD TV8)
- Osceola County cancer nurse honors life and death realities with ArtPrize entry (Cadillac News)
- Meet the artists: ArtPrize 2017 public vote Final 20 (MLive)
- Sunny weather, large crowds make HopCat, WYCE Blue Bridge Music Festival a success (The Rapidian)
- Final 20 ArtPrize artist uses poetry to address hunger (WOOD TV8)
- City High student wins ArtPrize SmartArt competition (MLive)
- SL resident's creation among ArtPrize public vote top 20 (Grand Haven Tribune)
- ArtPrize with Maranda: “Step up for Down Syndrome”, “Seven Reasons to Live” and more (WOTV4women)
- 3-time ArtPrize finalist’s secret: ‘Simple, representational’ (WOOD TV8)
ArtPrize is a nonprofit organization. Your support helps the event thrive year-over-year, elevating the artists, venues and educators that create a world-class exhibition and generate learning opportunities for all.
Below are a couple ways you can support ArtPrize this fall and year-round:
- Membership: Join our ArtClub membership program and get insider access to the event as well as perks year-round, or become an ArtFan to provide support for critical ArtPrize programs that serve the social good.
- Retail Sales: Stop by the ArtPrize HUB/HQ or your local Meijer Store to pick up ArtPrize Nine merchandise, including commemorative clothing, pint glasses and mugs, the inaugural ArtPrize Magazine 'Public Notice,' and more. You can also shop many items online.
- Volunteering: Join the nearly 1,000 volunteers who step forward to welcome hundreds of thousands of visitors to ArtPrize each fall. We couldn't do it without you.
Thanks to Our Sponsors:
Support from our corporate sponsors represented our largest source of revenue in 2016, accounting for 56% of ArtPrize’s $3.6 million operating budget. This support, combined with individual membership, retail sales and more makes ArtPrize possible each year.Alee'a Ulsh-Cherry on