You’ve got questions. We’ve got answers! In this handy guide, you'll find everything you need to know about ArtPrize 10.
When is ArtPrize Open?
ArtPrize is an open, independently organized international art competition which takes place for 19 days every other fall in Grand Rapids, Michigan. ArtPrize 10 will take place September 19 through October 7, with Preview Week running from September 12 through September 18.
Which Entries Won Artist Grants?
How Do I Pick the Winners?
ArtPrize awards $500,000 in prizes to artists, and you decide the winners of half that prize money through two rounds of voting. The easiest way to vote? Our mobile app — the ultimate ArtPrize multi-tool. Download for free (details below) to explore artist entries, venues, events and happenings; stay in-the-know on all things ArtPrize; and vote for your favorite entries. Cast your first vote at ArtPrize, then vote from anywhere in the world.
- Download the App: Apple Store | Google Play
- Why Vote?: 4 Reasons to Vote at ArtPrize
- How to Vote: Vote with the Mobile App; Vote on a Computer
- Voting Rounds: Round 1 and Round 2 Explained
- Awards Structure: How $500,000 in Prizes is Awarded
Who Picks the Juried Award Winners?
In addition to the Public Vote, ArtPrize presents parallel Juried Awards—four $12,500 category awards and one $200,000 Juried Award Grand Prize. The jury, also presents an award for Outstanding Venue, given to the curator of a Venue, not a participating Artist. Meet the ArtPrize 10 jurors.
How Do I Get To & Around ArtPrize?
Coming from out of town? Lucky for you, there are plenty of methods to make your way to the tenth annual event. Our friends at Experience Grand Rapids have great information on hotels, restaurants and more for you to make the best of your out of town experience.
Need help getting around once you've touched down in Grand Rapids? Below are a few ways for you to navigate to and through ArtPrize with ease.
- Bike: Biking is an quick and easy way to get around downtown Grand Rapids without having to worry about parking your car.
- Bus: Pick up an ArtPrize Metro Pass for just $5 to get unlimited rides on the Silver Line and 10 rides on The Rapid’s fixed routes.
- Walk: The Pantone Pathways, presented by X-Rite Pantone, return to ArtPrize 10 and will take you within one block of most ArtPrize venues.All five start at the Visitor Pavilion—simply follow the colorful sidewalk stencils to visit venues on the route.
Where Do I Start?
The Visitor Pavilion at Rosa Parks Circle is the epicenter for all things ArtPrize 10 where you can:
- Get Answers: Ask our Visitor Services team for help. We’ll have Event Guides, Experience Guides and more handy to help you plan your visit.
- Attend Events: Join the live audience for the Jurors’ Shortlist Announcement, Why These Finalists?, the ArtPrize Awards and more.
- Get Creative: Find daily hands-on creative activities.
- Relax + Unwind: Take a break and rest for a while at our outdoor lounge.
- Discover Our City: Pantone Pathways take you within one block of 90% of ArtPrize venues, and all five start at Rosa Parks Circle. Maps coming soon!
What Do I Do Once I’m There?
Explore ArtPrize! Our ArtPrize 10 Event Guide, free for all visitors at the Visitor Pavilion thanks to MLive Media Group, has a series of helpful maps that show you exactly where to see the 165+ venues filled with over 1,260 artist entries. Check out the neighborhood maps to find a list of ArtPrize venues to focus your adventure, followed by a tear-out overview map to help you get your bearings.
Spark A Conversation: Art needs you and your opinion! Spark a conversation with the person next to you.
Step 1: Take a moment to pause and experience the work of art.
Step 2: What do you see or hear? What is happening?
Step 3: Why is it the way that it is? The artist statement can help with this.
Step 4: How does it relate to your own life, or ideas? Does it challenge you?
Step 5: Do you think this artwork is successful?
Do You Have a Printed Guide?
ArtPrize is a huge event, and it can be difficult to know where to start. We’ve put that obstacle to rest with our free, self-guided Experience Guides. And don't forget the ArtPrize 10 Event Guide, with everything you need to know about the event including neighborhood maps, artist and venues lists, and more.
- Experience Guides: Family, Outdoor Art, Critics’ Choice
- Event Guide: View + download via Issuu, pick up at participating Meijer stores, or stop by the Visitor Pavilion for a copy.
What Should I Eat & Drink?
Looking for a tasty treat while you're out ArtPrizing? Don't miss the amazing food trucks that will be out and about around the event, and be sure to stop by Founders Brewing Co. for a taste of Trigo, and Ferris Coffee for a caffeinated taste of ArtPrize 10.
- Craft Beer: Let your taste buds run wild as you try Trigo, the Official Beer of ArtPrize 10. Trigo is a pale wheat lager brewed with American hops.
- Craft Coffee: If your taste buds are satisfied by dark chocolate and smokey, caramel flavors, then you’ll love the Official Coffee of ArtPrize 10.
- ArtPrize Water Share: Stay cool & hydrated by filling up your reusable water bottle at any participating ArtPrize 10 Venues — marked by Spectrum Health Watershare stickers.
Are There Events Every Day?
Calling all film and music lovers! Returning to ArtPrize 10 will be ArtPrize On Screen and the HopCat WYCE Blue Bridge Music Festival. ArtPrize On Screen will highlight critically acclaimed work selected from local and national talent consisting of feature-length films, accompanied by Michigan-made short films. The HopCat WYCE Blue Bridge Music Festival will offer visitors two mind-blowing days and nights of FREE musical entertainment featuring musicians and bands from across the country. Don't miss out on these events!
- Preview Week: Exhibition Openings, Artist Meet & Greets, and More (September 12-18)
- Film Festival Details: ArtPrize On Screen (September 19-22)
- Music Festival Details: HopCat WYCE Blue Bridge Music Festival (September 28-29)
- ArtPrize Studio Series: The Relationship of Art & Tech OST Panel, Ran Ortner: Keynote, DisArt Panel, Women in Steam Panel, Why These Finalists Part 1, Why These Finalists Part 2.
- ArtPrize+ Events: WestSide ArtWalk, Calder & Concept, Blue Bridge & Beats
Find hundreds of events and activities happening throughout the ArtPrize district at artprize.org/events.
How Can Kids Get Involved?
ArtPrize offers an array of educational programs for families and kids of all ages to participate in including STEAM Village, ArtPrize Lab Studios and Partner Programs. Kids of all ages will have the opportunity to unleash their creative potential through various hands-on learning activities throughout the 19 day event.
- GO Scavenger Hunts: Experience a city-wide scavenger hunt with your family
- Family STEAM Lab: Join ArtPrize, The Air Zoo and FIRST Robotics for fun hands-on activities at the ArtPrize Visitor Pavilion.
- Family Sculpture Lab: Assemble a stabile with materials inspired by Alexander Calder and test out the theories of movement, balance, and symmetry.
- Family Chair Camp: Use repurposed materials from Learning From Scratch as the source of inspiration to create a very unique and personal miniature chair.
- STEAM Lab: Enjoy hands-on creative fun for all ages that combine the power of Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math. STEAM Lab powered by Switch.
- Mobile STEAM Lab: Visit the ArtPrize Mobile STEAM Lab powered by Switch for fun creative challenges based on past ArtPrize winners.
- Mobile Workshop: Find our Mobile Workshop around the event. Mobile Workshop sponsored by Herman Miller Cares.
How Can I Help?
ArtPrize anticipates that over 1,000 volunteers will seize the opportunity to welcome more than 500,000 visitors to Grand Rapids for the tenth annual event. New this year, anyone 13 and older is invited to volunteer. Those between the ages of 13-18 can sign up to volunteer with a parent or chaperone. We love our volunteers and we welcome new-comers. Read about the different ways you can volunteer during ArtPrize Nine and feel free to sign up while you're at it!
Learn more at artprize.org/volunteerBy Media on