Social responsibility lives at the heart of what we do, who we are, and how we plan to grow.
Art is for everyone, so intentional inclusion is critical to the vision of ArtPrize. We are actively working to remove barriers to engagement and welcome a more racially and ethnically diverse audience. We are also working to address elements of diversity that are harder to see: disability, gender identity and sexual orientation, socio-economic differences, and access to education.
Our commitment has an internal focus on our employees, work practices, and environment, as well as an external orientation towards our partners, stakeholders, and event audience.
Long-term social equity goals
- Audience: we will engage all community members equally; respect the cultural, emotional, and physical barriers that exist; and work towards an environment that welcomes all people and allows them to fully participate. We focus our work on the principle that shared experiences within the context of exposure to contemporary art will build a strong and vibrant community—one that fosters a deep sense of belonging and a lifelong curiosity for the arts.
- Partners: the potential for our community impact is maximized through internal and external partnerships across disciplines and departments. We learn, grow, and improve alongside of our key vendors, venues, sponsors, volunteers, artists, students, and educational partners.
- Work environment: we encourage a working environment that is open and respectful, empowering employees to achieve their highest potential. We expect that all employees conduct their work with an awareness of and sensitivity to cultural and personal differences.
2015 social equity initiatives
- Rapid Rides to ArtPrize: a need-based grant program that gifts ArtPrize Metro Passes, providing free citywide transport on the Rapid Public Transit during ArtPrize along with Event Guides and Maps.
- Access Art Lounge and Pathway: a wheelchair-accessible lounge for recharging and refreshment, with a wheelchair path that starts and ends at the lounge.
- Bilingual marketing tools: translation of key marketing pieces, including our Event Guide and educational materials, available for free at the HUB between September 23 and October 11, 2015.
- ASL services: provided at all of our official ArtPrize events.
THE ARTPRIZE SUSTAINABILITY PLAN
To challenge ourselves and our community partners, the ArtPrize Sustainability Plan encompasses environmental, social, and fiscal responsibility and centers on four themes: climate change, waste management, inclusion, and healthy living.