A stunning look at ArtPrize Nine by Brian Kelly. Scored by the melodic hi-ker tune "Luckee", the film captures the heart of the international competition as it captivates the city of Grand Rapids through a series of intimate portraits of ArtPrize Nine Artists and their work.
Major Announcements of ArtPrize EIght
Critical Discourse at ArtPrize Eight
- Critical Discourse: ArtPrize Eight Jurors' Shortlist Event: Watch as the 2016 category award jurors each present and discuss a list of five nominees for their respective awards. The spirited event can be informative and infuriating -- depending on how you react to the opinions of the jurors.
- Critical Discourse: Why These Finalists? (2-D, Installation): A panel of three art experts -- including Chad Alligood, curator at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art; Kristin Fleischmann, director of public projects at Pulitzer Arts Foundation; and Jerry Saltz, senior art critic for New York Magazine -- discuss half of the public and juried finalists in the 2-D and Installation categories in a lively, humorous, and irreverent debate.
- Critical Discourse: Why These Finalists? (3-D, Time-Based): 'Why These Finalists?' continues with Alice Gray Stites, Chief Curator at 21c Museum Hotels; Neil Barclay, Director of the Contemporary Arts Center of New Orleans; and Gregory Volk, art critic based in New York -- discussing the public and juried finalists in the 3-D and Time-Based categories in a lively, humorous, and irreverent debate.
Major Announcements of ArtPrize Seven
Critical Discourse at ArtPrize Seven
Watch each of the six events intended to be a platform for rigorous, intentional and transformative debate about art and why it matters.
- Critical Discourse: ArtPrize Seven Jurors' Shortlist Event: Watch as the 2015 category award jurors each present and discuss a list of five nominees for their respective awards, challenging perceptions and offering their unique perspectives on the landscape of entries drawn from expertise in their given category.
- Critical Discourse: Unapologetically Midwest: Artist-Run Art Spaces: Rather than flock to coastal art centers, these Midwestern artists fulfilled their need for institutional support by building new art spaces and exhibition programs within their own communities. Hear from the producers behind the most innovative artist-run art spaces in Detroit, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, and Grand Rapids.
- Critical Discourse: Future Color / Design Trends: Innovation & Impact: When engaging in today’s highly visual world, it's important to understand what is driving the most relevant color/design trends. How do color/design trends originate? What are the most meaningful color palette and style indicators? Where are they going in future? Leatrice Eiseman, executive director of the Pantone Color Institute, color/design consultant, educator, forecaster, and author of nine books on color shares her insights and expertise.
- Critical Discourse: Reflecting the Times: Art & Activism: Art is always mirrored the times in which it is created. Sometimes artworks can become prophetic artifacts, an indication of what’s to come. This panel will provide a space for dialogue with esteemed artists rooted in both art and activism. Speakers address important contemporary social justice efforts such as #BlackLivesMatter, and how art is situated at the forefront of these movements.
- Critical Discourse: Why These Finalists? Parts 1 & 2: A panel of three art experts discuss half of the public and juried finalists -- in Part 1 from the 2-D and Installation categories, and in Part 2 from the 3-D and Time-Based categories -- in a lively, humorous, and irreverent debate. By further exploring the tension between public and expert approaches to assessing art, this series seeks to answer the titular question often uttered on each side of the debate.
- ArtPrize 2014 highlights
- Watch the 2014 Final 20 Announcement
- Watch the 2014 ArtPrize Awards
- Critical Discourse: 2014 Jurors' Shortlist Event
- Critical Discourse: Art, Disability, Bodies, Images
- Critical Discourse: NEW INC: Incubating Art & Tech
- Critical Discourse: ART21 Season 7 World Preview Screening Discussion
- Critical Discourse: Creative Approaches to Detroit: A Conversation with Design 99
- Critical Discourse: Why These Finalists? Part 1 & Part 2
See more ArtPrize films on Vimeo.
The Juried Grand Prize
Since it was founded in 2009, ArtPrize has received attention for its controversial $200,000 top prize determined solely by public vote.
Then, in 2012, ArtPrize made the unexpected and equally controversial move to add a $100,000 Juried Grand Prize to the total purse. This award would be decided by a panel of three internationally regarded art experts. The move was a critical success, and ArtPrize offered the prize again in 2013.
In these short films, director Brian Kelly shares the story behind the ArtPrize Juried Grand Prize.
- 2016: ArtPrize Eight Grand Prize Jurors Reflect on Juried Grand Prize Winner
- 2015: ArtPrize Seven Grand Prize Jurors Reflect on Juried Grand Prize Winner
- 2014: ArtPrize 2014 Grand Prize Jurors Reflect on Juried Grand Prize Winners
- 2013: ArtPrize 2013 Juried Grand Prize - Behind the Scenes
- 2012: The Juried Grand Prize - ArtPrize 2012